1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried or put any thought into taking and inexpensive stereo BT headset and modify it with and audio out pigtail (3.5mm or RCA) to be used with other audio devices (lacking wireless capability, not an AM/FM tuner) as a wireless receiver?

Here's it put another way: Palm Pre to modified BT headset plugged into home stereo.

Before I spend money on this, I would like some feedback on whether or not this is doable. I have the tools necessary, but I'm worried about figuring out how the BT headset is wired. Are there technical papers/diagrams of BT headsets free available?

Thanks
    There are low cost 3.5mm to BT adapters available. Here is one on ebay for $20.
    3.5mm Audio Bluetooth Adapter for PC PSP iPod PAD MP3/4 - eBay (item 220619235003 end time Aug-07-10 22:59:31 PDT)
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  3.    #3  
    Thanks,

I did a quick web search, but all got were cell phones and cell accessories.
    The Backbeat has the option to buy it with a dongle. You plug the dongle into the headset jack of any device and the dongle will connect to the headphones. Works great.

Plantronics BackBeat 906 Stereo Bluetooth headset:Amazon:Cell Phones & Service
    I think he's looking to go the other way. BT from the pre to BT headset with an output to go into the input of a home stereo/etc.

OP something like these?
    http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-WBT310-...bosnation0e-20

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCUQ8wIwAA#

if this is correct I googled "bluetooth receiver 3.5 mm" the 2nd link for the sony ericsson is around $40 it looks like.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Not sure if I'm understanding the question, but I'll answer anyway

I have an Audiovox Acoustic Research bluetooth 'bridge', it is a receiver with a display (handles phone calls, has a mic, shows caller ID info) that instead of being hardwired to a headset it has a 3.5 jack you can use for any headphones you want - and someday I may use my 3.5 to 3.5 to plug my Pre into the car stereo aux-in jack.
    Amazon Link
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    Not sure if I'm understanding the question, but I'll answer anyway

I have an Audiovox Acoustic Research bluetooth 'bridge', it is a receiver with a display (handles phone calls, has a mic, shows caller ID info) that instead of being hardwired to a headset it has a 3.5 jack you can use for any headphones you want - and someday I may use my 3.5 to 3.5 to plug my Pre into the car stereo aux-in jack.
    Amazon Link
    That looks awesome, being lazy right now, does it play audio from the Pre? Music Player/Dr Podder/etc? If it does I am buying one and hard wiring it into my car and putting the display in the gauge cluster. That is awesome.

Nevermind, found my answer..... if you don't mind would you try this out in the car. I just wanna know if it works well enough. I get paid end of this week and my b-day is coming up, I think I just found my B-day present to me. =)
    This damn thing and a touchstone in the car..... and it's on a cracking for real. If it can pickup BT audio and sounds decent, I am on it, I could think of a ton of car audio installs for this where you don't get tied to a certain deck, I am freakin kinda hyped right now....

One last thing, did you actually purchase from that supplier or elsewhere?
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 07/27/2010 at 08:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    it handles both the music (I just use Pandora or the Music app) and phone profiles, switching between them easily. one of the amazon sellers had it for 19.99 at one point, meant to get another (battery life is an issue and it's just got a USB cable to charge it)
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I purchased from an amazon seller "market warehouse" fulfilled by amazon for 29.95 with free 2 day shipping since i'm a Prime member.

the biggest sound quality issue was a little hissing if trying to listen at low levels. a little more volume and i can't really hear it. it's acceptable for wearing around the office but I wouldn't recommend it to an audiophile expert.

i leave it at work so can't plug into the car, but i am confident that the 3.5 to 3.5 would be the same as the 3.5 earbuds. interesting that my order history links to a separate listing with a different number of reviews
    new link

good luck
    does the skip forward work with the Pre's BT profiles? (read that was an issue with some Apple users and I don't keep track of one BT profile vs the other)

Also is the usb charger a mini or micro? Just trying to get it in my head if I would want to hardwire it..... ohhhh and by chance do you know if it works while being charged? I've got a simple cheap hardwire solution for charging in my application (I have had the dash apart on my car more times than any sane person should).
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    I purchased from an amazon seller "market warehouse" fulfilled by amazon for 29.95 with free 2 day shipping since i'm a Prime member.

the biggest sound quality issue was a little hissing if trying to listen at low levels. a little more volume and i can't really hear it. it's acceptable for wearing around the office but I wouldn't recommend it to an audiophile expert.

i leave it at work so can't plug into the car, but i am confident that the 3.5 to 3.5 would be the same as the 3.5 earbuds. interesting that my order history links to a separate listing with a different number of reviews
    new link

good luck
    Nice and free shipping on that one, I can get with that. even if it doesn't work for car, I could use it for around the office and/or house as well.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    doesn't work while being charged. i'm not sure which size it is - mini more than micro for sure. i've used both pause and skip forward for Pandora and the music app, it has it's own volume control, so you can work the combination between the phone's volume and it's volume. it actually has multiple sound profile choices, I haven't really bothered changing between them.

the "customer who looked at this actually bought..." had a link to one I hadn't seen before, more expensive but I'll be reading more on it
    new link

i found a PDF of the manual online somewhere, it is on my work computer but I can get it and send it along if you want
    cool, thanks for the info, been looking for something like this... previously was thinking about the Moto T505, but that is 20 more than this and no display....
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    no problem, good luck!
    Ordered today, so we will see how it works (hoping to see it by end of next week for my B-Day present to myself)