Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Probably a dumb question, but I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a touchstone for my (relatively) new Palm Pre Plus -- Have you found it to be worth the $20-40 (or whatever they're selling for these days)? I mean, it seems cool, but ultimately it's spending money just to avoid something that takes about 2 seconds (plugging the charger into the phone). Or am I missing something?
    I have really enjoyed the touchstone. Now would be a great time to get one cause you can get it for like $15. From reading the forums it seems some people have had a problem with there usb door breaking off. I would not say it is necessary but very convenient.
    Absolutely. I have three of them. One at the office, one for the living room, and one for the bedroom. I'll probably be getting one for the car too. That way you dont have to constantly open the door to plug it in and risk cracking it. Besides, its nice seeing the clock and notifications on the screen while its charging.
    I should add that I always keep the Pre on my charger at home or at work. Never have to worry about the battery going down.
    Best investment you'll make for your Pre. Try Radio Shack, if they have any left, you can get it cheap.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    A must have IMO. It is nice just being able to stick the phone to the touchstone instead of plugging it in. Plus it helps reduce the chance of getting the infamous USB screen crack.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    There's something to be said about just plunking the Pre down on the touchstone that fits so well with WebOS. I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to open the USB door & plug a cable into my Pre+ (Initial charge, WebOS QuickInstall 'install' a couple of times & that's about it). I try to do everything OTA now ... Sync (Chapura / WiFi Media Sync), PreWare, FileCoaster and... charging.

With the $15-$20 cost at the Shack -- I'd say absolutely go for the touchstone (I bought two at that price).
    They're very convenient - if they work. I had a rate of 50% of touchstones I had to send back because they didn't work reliably. Still a miracle to me what the real cause is and why Palm couldn't sort that out yet.
    Nonetheless I think the touchstones are one of the coolest inventions for smartphones!
    I've seen them at best buy for $20 too. Totally worth it, I have 2.
    resounding YES! its not an award winner accessory for nothing...
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palimpalim View Post
    They're very convenient - if they work. I had a rate of 50% of touchstones I had to send back because they didn't work reliably. Still a miracle to me what the real cause is and why Palm couldn't sort that out yet.
    Nonetheless I think the touchstones are one of the coolest inventions for smartphones!
    FYI -- looks like there is a way to fix the bong-bong issue with your touchstone if you have it (I'm happy to say I don't).

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-solution.html
    Absolutely worth it! I have 3 TSs; Office, Home and Car. Once you have and get used to it/them you'll never want to have to plug your phone in again - ever! The only time(s) now that I open the USB door is to actually access the USB-only activities.

You'll need:
    TS-compatible replacement back (unless you have one already. My VZN came with it installed)
    (1) TS-compatible cable for each TS set-up. Again, unless you have one. I had one and had to purchase the others. I recommend OEM since several people on the forums have had less-than-ideal charging with after-market products. YMMD
    (1) Touchstone

You'll likely purchase one "just to see" if you like it and then when you fall in love with the technology, you'll want to get them everywhere! LOL If you get one for your car, just make sure that you get the correct cable to fit the TS. There are pictures and posts on the accessories forum. One of these days, I'll get my car's set up posted.

Because I have them at home, the car and the office, I'm almost never down on battery power unless I'm working on "tweaking" and moving things around on the screens or updating data or actually moving around where I don't have them. Side benefit, I usually always know where my phone is - it's on a TS in one of the locations previously mentioned usually not too far away from me!
    i've used the touchstone on two pre's since june 6th 2009.

Its more than worth it.
    When you mount one in the car and pair it with a bluetooth car stereo... sweet!

I have four. One in my office, one in the house and one in each vehicle

-Jay
    They are worth their weight in gold IMO. I have been using them (one at home,, my car and my travel bag) for 13 months now, never have had low battery issues.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Absolutely worth it... Running 3 myself. 1 at home, car and office.
    Yes, I've thought it to be a very good investment. And it looks cool to your friends, you're like yeah it's charging just sitting on that thing. My friends are like in awe everytime they see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    best investment you can make, especially since the price has come down so low.
    Yup x the 4 I have
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Totally worth it, esp. if you can get at a good price. I had three until today - when one of the Radio Shacks I'd cleaned out last month had three more for me to scoop up at $9.97 each. So now I will have one for: Daily Car - Truck Cab - Inside the Camper - Desk at work - Desk at home - Nightstand. Totally worth it, esp. with Pandora streaming often, GPS apps running...

Cheers, Clarice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast