Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I guess that's possible since the side of the Palm Pre stock battery says 1150mAh (min).

I just found a thread stating that the capacity reporting is only accurate for the stock battery and not the aftermarket ones. I'm not allowed to post links yet, but the title of the thread is "BatteryMonitor".
    I just did this with my mugen power battery at 32% charge and it gave me 1277.929. Looks like I have a very good battery compared to you guys, although I'm always complaining about my battery life. I have been using this battery by switching with the stock one for like 7 months. Will try it with stock battery tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    im getting 831.528 and its stock..

mines actually going between 831.528 and 831.478
    It doesn't sound like these low numbers that everyone is posting are coming from the same place. I would love to contribute if someone would please explain how to get the mA reading from their batteries?

I currently own an Amzer 1400 mA and a stock Palm battery. I did not go for the Seidio since they marketed it as a smaller 1350 mA battery. I do not actually know if there is much of a difference, but I have been pleased with the Amzer's performance (I bought it a few months after the Pre launch, so I've had it for about 10 months or more).
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    The way I did it was using WebOS Quick Install's Linux Commandline function and typing in "cat /sys/devices/w1*/32*/getcapacity"
    Don't forget, you can also download Terminal from Preware and use the same Linux command: cat /sys/devices/w1*/32*/getcapacity
    I've had an Amzer 1400 for maybe 10 months, and recently, I've been seeing a lot less battery life than I think I should have. 'course, I've been doing the overclocking thing recently, too, doing the scaling from 500 to 800 MHz in whatever kernel and scaling app I'm using at the time, so I'm not 100% sure that it's not just the OC'ing.

I just bought 2 Mugen 1400mAh extended batteries just in case it was a battery wearing out thing, and today is my first use of one of the extended batteries after charging it for not quite the recommended 12 hours in-device first-charge.

It was at 100% when I took it off the Touchstone this morning at 9am, and at 4:28pm, it was at 2% charge. I haven't charged for more than a few minutes since 9am (mostly when I forgot to *not* put it on my Touchstone at work).

So I've now plopped it onto the TS at work, and I'll charge it a bit before going into the car to charge it there on my drive home, then plop it on the TS at home, too...

Hope it gets better...

(The Mugen instructions were to charge it for 12 hours initially, then let it drain to a very low state, doing the drain/charge cycle 4-5 times to get to full capacity. I can't remember at the moment whether each of those 4-5 cycles were supposed to involve a 12-hour charge block. They did also note *never* to allow your battery to go to 0%.)

Depending on the universality of the advice to *never* allow your battery to go to 0%, and assuming that the effect is that you reduce your battery life, that could definitely have had an impact on my Amzer battery, as I'm sure I've gone to 0% (or whatever percent at which the phone shuts itself off) before...
    Quote Originally Posted by reiyu View Post
    trying to decide which to get... i don't know which performs better aside from the currents that they labeled their batteries with.
    I use the 1350 now... have had it for a while... I just got the capacity and it reads 1340.917... I originally had a 1400... it seemed to degrade in battery life over time. I dont have any numbers to back that up... but I used it for 6 months, and my days seemed to slowly get shorter. I havent had the same issue with the seido, which Ive now used in two different phones... for about 6 months.

I do make sure to give my phone a full discharge and full charge 2 times a month. And the phone itself is in my hand all the time... the rest of the month I throw it onto charge at will... whenever i am near a touchstone... or have a cord available and a free moment at my desk to give it a quick shot with the usb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    I've had an Amzer 1400 for maybe 10 months, and recently, I've been seeing a lot less battery life than I think I should have. 'course, I've been doing the overclocking thing recently, too, doing the scaling from 500 to 800 MHz in whatever kernel and scaling app I'm using at the time, so I'm not 100% sure that it's not just the OC'ing.

I just bought 2 Mugen 1400mAh extended batteries just in case it was a battery wearing out thing, and today is my first use of one of the extended batteries after charging it for not quite the recommended 12 hours in-device first-charge.

It was at 100% when I took it off the Touchstone this morning at 9am, and at 4:28pm, it was at 2% charge. I haven't charged for more than a few minutes since 9am (mostly when I forgot to *not* put it on my Touchstone at work).

So I've now plopped it onto the TS at work, and I'll charge it a bit before going into the car to charge it there on my drive home, then plop it on the TS at home, too...

Hope it gets better...

(The Mugen instructions were to charge it for 12 hours initially, then let it drain to a very low state, doing the drain/charge cycle 4-5 times to get to full capacity. I can't remember at the moment whether each of those 4-5 cycles were supposed to involve a 12-hour charge block. They did also note *never* to allow your battery to go to 0%.)

Depending on the universality of the advice to *never* allow your battery to go to 0%, and assuming that the effect is that you reduce your battery life, that could definitely have had an impact on my Amzer battery, as I'm sure I've gone to 0% (or whatever percent at which the phone shuts itself off) before...
    I thought I had read somewhere that the pre shuts down at 5% battery... I think thats been a fairly well observed behavior on each of my replacement phones... Ive let them die a number of times when I was out all night after work and didnt make it back till close to breakfast.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    my stock battery at 97% reports 1164.282
    and I have the Mugen 1400 mAh, which at 94% reports 1261.478

I've been using the Mugen as the main battery for the past 9 months so it has a bit more run on it, but im kindaaaa disappointed with the rated vs actual mAh.

ce la vie i guess, at least my stock is reporting slightly better than what it's rated for
    My stock battery gives back a 1163.998 at about 85% battery level.

I also have an Amzer 1400, and will report the level when I can find it :blush:

I also found that the life on my Amzer 1400 battery has decreased a lot - when it goes below 21%, it will suddenly drop to 0% and die out within a minute. I have been running the overclock patch at 800mhz, and I am wondering if the extra heat from the overclock and also the heat from being on the touchstone has decreased the batteries life.

I currently back to the stock battery for now.
    my stock battery is at 10% right now and gave me 1145.801
  13.    #33  
    i currently have a seidio 2600 and the stock battery right now. i use the seidio if i know i'm going out for a while and i won't be having access to a computer, and the stock for the contrary since i don't want my pre to be bulging out.

i recently ordered a mugen 1400 since i found a thread somewhere here that they liked the mugen, and the price is cheaper compared to the seidio and the amzer. i'll post here again when my mugen comes in, and add it to the comparison.

i hope a moderator finds this and change the title to "seidio 1350 vs mugen 1400 vs amzer 1400", since i didn't know about mugen before i made this thread.
    My three week old today Palm Pre Plus is reporting 1140.527 @ 97% charge...
    Last edited by jerseydevil; 07/22/2010 at 03:35 PM.
  15.    #35  
    i ditto with the 1140.527 from my one month old stock pre battery. maybe that's the standard for the stock? anybody got a solid 1150 yet?
    Is there no App in Preware that can give us this info (rather than using terminal)? Seems it'd be easy enough, no?

BTW, mine is stock 1150, currently reporting 1180.669 @ 91%

Regards,
    Shane.
    shanelord, feel free to build it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanelord View Post
    Is there no App in Preware that can give us this info (rather than using terminal)? Seems it'd be easy enough, no?
    It used to be part of the Battery Monitor app, but the original developer removed it because some of the 3rd party batteries weren't reading correctly, possibly by design. In other words, they didn't want you to know that the advertised capacity didn't match the actual capacity.

Battery Monitor Thread

From the above link:

Version 1.0.1
    Sadly, this will be the last effort I put into battery monitor. My interest in homebrew development waned as soon as the official app catalog opened. Also sad is the list of changed features is shockingly sparse.
    -Removed capacity since it was unreliable and caused more headache than it was worth
    -Removed front page, moved options into the application menu
    -The detailed status can also be accessed through the application menu
    -The runtime should now report days, and also won't report data that is 0
    Last edited by Trekker; 07/21/2010 at 06:35 PM.
  19.    #39  
    this is really weird. my seidio 2600 says that it has 1150.000 capacity... is that the limit of the getcapacity command???

i forgot i was charging, currently at 23% right now. but i dunno if that would make a difference. i'll repost if i don't get proper results again.
    Last edited by reiyu; 07/22/2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
    How is that even possible? The stock Pre battery is supposed to be 1150 mAh. O.o
    My stock battery was 1173.379 (new) for one and 1118.012 (9 months old).
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast