1.    #1  
    I will check at work to see if our meters can take higher amperage ratings. We just got them re-calibrated... I think they should be back 7/14.

Long story short, certain cues from the forums over at slickdeals.net as well as the evo touchstone project has brought me to experiment with other devices and the versatility of the touchstone. So, I took my 3 spare pixi covers from the recent Verizon sale and set up a test rig. The + and ground from a USB PCI slot was soldered onto the appropriate contacts on the pixi cover.

Using the original Palm AC charger, usb cable, and touchstone I made the setup as you can see below. Please note, 5.61v is before a device is connected, 5.0Xv is the usual voltage I observed for mobile device draw.

Test 1: Insignia Pilot plugged into touchstone cover USB adapter. Charging success.

Test 2: Sansa Clip plugged into touchstone cover USB adapter. Charging success.

Test 3: Jukebox Zen NX (attempt 1). Positive clipped into dc 5v jack, ground attached to common ground on PCB. No battery, cannot run on touchstone power alone. HDD spinup is too power intensive.

Test 4: Jukebox Zen NX (attempt 2). Positive clipped into dc 5v jack, ground attached to HDD top (it contacts with a common ground on the mp3 pcb). Battery heavily discharged, but attached. Boot up and charging success!!!

Test 5 (no picture): Electronic cigarette USB passthrough, connected to touchstone cover USB adapter. Did not have enough power to produce vapor unfortunately. No Picture.

My conclusion is that it is possible for most mobile type devices that charge with either 5v or USB connections to be easily modified to work with the touchstone. Two other things that I believed I observed were : the touchstone back's coil must be as flat as possible, and as perpendicular as possible to the touchstone. Also, heavier devices such as the Zen NX would not be possible in a car setup without serious modification.
    Last edited by mobius9; 07/13/2010 at 04:13 AM.
    Tell us more about the board shown in the first picture connected to the inductive coil please.

Great experiment... Ive been thinking of doing this myself but hadnt had the extra covers yet.
    Excellent, Mobius.

I might have to go back to the Verizon trough for some more of those.

Any tips on the soldering? Did you directly solder wire to the Pixi contacts?
  4.    #4  
    bluewanders: Can't really say too much about the circuit, it's doused in black rtv. I'll see if I can clean it up a little bit. Looks like a couple capacitors here and there, maybe a resistor or two. What's even more of a ***** is that the ribbon type cable they're all assembled onto is multi-layered (likely 2), so I can't tell how many pins the larger components are.

Ricyteach: Yes they are soldered right onto the contacts. If it is a simpler, non temp control iron make sure it has had adequate time to heat up. Make sure the solder is the freshest it can be (don't use solder that was already on the iron) and it will flow better. Our stations have a wet sponge for wiping all the crappy old solder off. Also having a good flux helps, make sure it is designed for both the metal that you're working with and the type of solder you have. It should say so on the flux label.
    is there a solution to charge an extra battery on the touchstone without beeing in the pre?

well others already had the same idea http://www.palminfocenter.com/comments/9819/#152158

and i know the is a separate charger http://store.precentral.net/palm-spa.../8A83A5660.htm , but wouldn't it be nice to put the battery on the touchstone so it would charge.
    Hi guys, I bought 3 of the touchstones with the pixi backs and with the help of Ricyteach to tell me how I got my brother to help me solder some wires onto the connection. He also soldered some little connectors to the ends of the wires to make it wider so it would be easier to meet the Pre contacts.

I did this to 2 pre backs by first taking the guts out of the pixi backs. The hard part was lining up the wires but I did that by using a permanent marker on the contacts and then pressing them against the back until it marked the back. I kept them in place with hot glue.

@Ricyteach: The connector came off once while my brother soldered, but he was able to solder it back on.

Edit: Picture is in my next post
    Last edited by jonny6man; 07/19/2010 at 04:48 PM.
    Here is what it looks like!

PRE_2010-07-19-082423.jpg
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny6man View Post

Great job!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny6man View Post

it looks great! Glad to know I was of help.

I am currently attempting to mod an extended battery cover with some Pre guts (I ordered one for $15 somewhere). A lot easier to do it would seem but I'm not sure what I should use to build up the contacts (the extended batt cover is quite a bit deeper than the regular). Any bright ideas? I have seen pictures of what I want to do over at that touchstonemods site:

Touchstone Compatible Extended Batteries Palm Pre www.TouchstoneMods.com

But I'm not sure what kind of hardware he's using to build up the contacts.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricyteach View Post
    it looks great! Glad to know I was of help.

I am currently attempting to mod an extended battery cover with some Pre guts (I ordered one for $15 somewhere). A lot easier to do it would seem but I'm not sure what I should use to build up the contacts (the extended batt cover is quite a bit deeper than the regular). Any bright ideas? I have seen pictures of what I want to do over at that touchstonemods site:

Touchstone Compatible Extended Batteries Palm Pre www.TouchstoneMods.com

But I'm not sure what kind of hardware he's using to build up the contacts.
    Original thread has good ideas and pictures : http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ouchstone.html
    Nice job. I'd like to get a touchstone back just to experiment with it. The covers themselves are relatively simple; just a coil and two contacts that run to the power circuit. Since the iPod's back isn't removable, it would have to be a direct connection to the 30-pin. I'd like to try something like that. But again, bravo.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamthiede View Post
    The covers themselves are relatively simple; just a coil and two contacts that run to the power circuit.
    The back is more complicated than that. It has a small circuit board between the coil and contacts.