1.    #1  
    I want to connect from the pre to the internet through my desktop over bluetooth (not to connect from the desktop to the internet through the pre) when I the wifi and cellular are off.

I managed to set up a PAN connection from my desktop to the pre and I can ssh to the pre from it. After setting a proper default route on the pre (for the bridge0 device) I can also ssh and ping from the pre to the desktop.

But for some reason I can't access any other IP from the pre. Any ideas?
    Is it blocked by the pre kernel?
    Would setting up a VPN or PPP over this connection work?
    Quote Originally Posted by assaf View Post
    I want to connect from the pre to the internet through my desktop over bluetooth (not to connect from the desktop to the internet through the pre) when I the wifi and cellular are off.

I managed to set up a PAN connection from my desktop to the pre and I can ssh to the pre from it. After setting a proper default route on the pre (for the bridge0 device) I can also ssh and ping from the pre to the desktop.

But for some reason I can't access any other IP from the pre. Any ideas?
    Is it blocked by the pre kernel?
    Would setting up a VPN or PPP over this connection work?
    You need to set up bridging on your desktop. By default your PC does not do IP forwarding.

On Windows, select both your LAN connection and Bluetooth PAN connection and create a bridge between the two.

But TBH that's a whole lot of work to deal with when you can have the same effect with wireless routers when they are so cheap.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3.    #3  
    I'm using linux and IP forwarding is enabled, that's why this is so strange.
    It looks like the packets are not leaving the pre at all (I'll try to confirm this with a sniffer).

Did you actually manage to get such a setup (over bluetooth) to work?
  4.    #4  
    Update: I now see I can ping and traceroute to other machines. But trying to connect with HTTP or SSH I get "no route to host". I think this is most likely a firewall issue.

Update 2: Solved! Needed to activate proxyarp.
    Now I need to figure out how to set up dhcp.
    Last edited by assaf; 07/06/2010 at 07:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I'd be interest to hear if you managed to get this all to work. I had previously tried to get the Pre to connect via a bluetooth access point (a Belkin job) that works fine with my Treo 680 and Zodiac 2. However the Pre just wouldn't connect up and I assumed that the PAN had been disabled.

Andrew
  6.    #6  
    Well, I had partial success.

I've managed to set up a network over bluetooth, but some applications are not aware of this connection and ask you to turn on wifi.
    Those that don't do this check work fine.

The difference between the pre and older palm models is that the bluetooth stack is extremely restricted. You can't make outgoing bluetooth connection from the pre except for very specific device types (audio devices).

I couldn't even transfer contacts to my cordless phone, which I can do with my old Tungsten T3

Fortunately, it does accept incoming PAN connections. So if you establish the connection from the desktop side, then it works (well, with some issues as described before).
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    This is very good information. I recently found myself in Europe with my Sprint Pre and the ability to plug into a *WIRED* network. I tried to get the same setup that you enabled but I ran up against the same roadblocks. Got he IP forwarding setup but I didn't think about proxyarp, though.

Having no luck with the machines I attacked the problem through social engineering and instead made a case for the network guys to turn on their WiFi access point.

I have a pending mental note to figure out how to get my ThinkPad to act as an access point for just these types of situations. Another example is when hotel wifi is $$ or only available in the lobby but wired internet is free or available in the room.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    mauro1 - to get your laptop to act as an access point.... setup an adhoc network with static IP's. Setup ICS between the wireless and your wired nics. That should be about all you have to do. It'll work for 1 device, but I suspect that is all you need to use at a time anyways.
    scytherfwd - Palm pre does support adhoc wifi access point.
    It used to, but apparently *will not anymore*
    see : developer.palm.com\
    distribution\
    viewtopic.php?f=83&t=7884
    (sorry for the url encoding, i'm not allowed to post it clear :-(

mauro1 : what about buying an ethernet/wifi router ?

----
    Palm Vx -> Palm PrPrPré