1.    #1  
    I'm looking at the Altec Lansing Backbeat 903 headset and was wondering:

1) Does anyone have experience using it with the Pre? and

2) Do you know of a good, legitimate resource for purchasing it cheaply online?

I had the MotoROKR S9 headset until my young son got a hold of them and ruined the volume button. I tried two purchases on eBay. 1 from a Power Seller base out of Hong Kong, and the other from a solo guy in the US. That was when I confirmed that the level of counterfeiting of this product is so prolific, that, unless you go to a box store and pay list price (sorry, but 3-4 year old technology should not cost $100 list, even if it's NIB), you are almost guaranteed to get hosed with a fake. I ran into this twice.

Has anyone had good luck with the Backbeat 903? Do you know of a reliable place to purchase it cheaply? I really don't want to pay $100.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 06/28/2010 at 10:56 PM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    I have one,it does not work good at all outside but works great in the house. Mine does not have alot of use and itt already died. Won't come on or charge. But,when it was working the sound quality was great
    I could get it replaced but can't find the receite
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I'm gonna get #2 outta the way early - Amazon

Amazon.com: Plantronics 903/R US BackBeat Headphones: Electronics

$41.99 with free super saver shipping. Wow! Last time I checked them they were ~$55. I bought the BackBeat 906 (Only difference is that included a headphone to bluetooth adapter, really useful!) for about $100 last December. I might replace my 906 earlier than I thought.. That's a great deal~

Now... I've used 4 bluetooth headsets with the Pre. A junky 3 year old Jabra, RocketFish MAB2, Backbeat 906 and a Yamaha NX-B02 BT speaker. The Rocketfish gives me a lot of issues with A2DP for the first pairing, it sometimes takes many tries to stream music through the headset.. Now the Backbeat and Yamaha almost always connect A2DP the first time. The Backbeat is definitely the best headset I've ever used... insanely comfortable, I've worn them from full charge to dead (about 9 hours of music for me) without a problem.

Although.. I didn't baby them at all though, I usually pocketed them or threw them in my nerd back unprotected. They held up pretty well, considering. However, the power button usually doesn't function anymore. I've read of the problem a few times on this forum, the power button usually doesn't work, but after a few days of not touching it, I can get it to power on. But I usually can't turn it off, heh. I'd say overall they're pretty reliable. I've heard that they are very resistant to sweat/moisture, and that they are not. I did tons of dishes while wearing them, so I'm really not surprised. But....

..getting back to the main point I suppose..... They work amazingly well with the Pre. Extremely snappy with Music Player/Remix and other programs. Youtube, VisualBoy Advance, etc. Highly recommended, especially for $42! I'm replacing mine much sooner than I thought. Good luck. Oh, and there's a review for them right here on P|C, under Bluetooth Headset Reviews! Prolly shoulda just pointed you there. ;p

Oh, edit! One thing I forgot to mention, other posters reminded me.. Signal connection indoors is always great, I can get 2 or 3 rooms away from phone without breaking up the music. Outside however, my Pre can't be in my right pocket, it's gotta be left pocket. Also, screen facing OUT is a huge help. For outdoors, left pocket screen out = perfect reception. Or bust out a wicked sweet armband.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks to all! This has been very helpful information. I loved my MotoROKR S9's despite their flaws, and was all set to replace them. But, I can pretty much count on anything I find being counterfeit. I heard good things about the Backbeats, but didn't want to pay list or get stuck with another fake. There are only so many times you can invoke your PayPal protection on a faulty deal, for the same thing.

I also appreciate everyone pointing out the indoor vs outdoor performance. I'll probably only use them at the gym, or in the car (we have a hands free law that goes into effect in October).

I'll definitely check out Amazon!

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by azumak View Post
    I'm gonna get #2 outta the way early - Amazon

Amazon.com: Plantronics 903/R US BackBeat Headphones: Electronics

$41.99 with free super saver shipping. Wow! Last time I checked them they were ~$55. I bought the BackBeat 906 (Only difference is that included a headphone to bluetooth adapter, really useful!) for about $100 last December. I might replace my 906 earlier than I thought.. That's a great deal~

Now... I've used 4 bluetooth headsets with the Pre. A junky 3 year old Jabra, RocketFish MAB2, Backbeat 906 and a Yamaha NX-B02 BT speaker. The Rocketfish gives me a lot of issues with A2DP for the first pairing, it sometimes takes many tries to stream music through the headset.. Now the Backbeat and Yamaha almost always connect A2DP the first time. The Backbeat is definitely the best headset I've ever used... insanely comfortable, I've worn them from full charge to dead (about 9 hours of music for me) without a problem.

Although.. I didn't baby them at all though, I usually pocketed them or threw them in my nerd back unprotected. They held up pretty well, considering. However, the power button usually doesn't function anymore. I've read of the problem a few times on this forum, the power button usually doesn't work, but after a few days of not touching it, I can get it to power on. But I usually can't turn it off, heh. I'd say overall they're pretty reliable. I've heard that they are very resistant to sweat/moisture, and that they are not. I did tons of dishes while wearing them, so I'm really not surprised. But....

..getting back to the main point I suppose..... They work amazingly well with the Pre. Extremely snappy with Music Player/Remix and other programs. Youtube, VisualBoy Advance, etc. Highly recommended, especially for $42! I'm replacing mine much sooner than I thought. Good luck. Oh, and there's a review for them right here on P|C, under Bluetooth Headset Reviews! Prolly shoulda just pointed you there. ;p

Oh, edit! One thing I forgot to mention, other posters reminded me.. Signal connection indoors is always great, I can get 2 or 3 rooms away from phone without breaking up the music. Outside however, my Pre can't be in my right pocket, it's gotta be left pocket. Also, screen facing OUT is a huge help. For outdoors, left pocket screen out = perfect reception. Or bust out a wicked sweet armband.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    If you or anyone have a Bike, use the Blueant F4. It sounds great in the helmet while riding.

just to note!
    i use the backbeats on my cycle commutee every day - they're so good i often forget i'm wearing them.

they just need to be close to the pre so aim to keep it in a chest pocket when outside.
  8.    #8  
    Any idea what it is about the outside that makes device proximity so important? Indoors you can go several rooms away. Odd, because line-of-sight can often be an issue with wireless connections due to built in interference in a building. Outdoors, with the device right on your body, you still need to keep it in alignment with the headset, possibly at chest level?

This isn't something I'm unfamiliar with. I have used two Jabras, and one Cardo Scala ear piece. Both were good with the phone in my pocket, but it had to be on the same side of my body as the device. I've used 1 real MotoROKR S9 (as stated) which was more forgiving in terms of proximity, but it always seemed to be streaming audio, so there would be breaks, like rest periods.

Mostly, I will use this in the gym, where my phone will rest in a holder in front of my chest, or in my car (for the hands free, not the music function), where it will rest on the dashboard.
    I've used the Plantronics Voyager 855 ($80@Amazon) and the Samsung WEP870($30@Amazon) and prefer the WEP870. Better bass response and the the lanyard makes it easier less prone to loss(what happened to my Voyager 855s) Not sure how the lanyard would work in a gym though, might swing around to much but the price is hard to beat.

-Jay
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Any idea what it is about the outside that makes device proximity so important? Indoors you can go several rooms away. Odd, because line-of-sight can often be an issue with wireless connections due to built in interference in a building. Outdoors, with the device right on your body, you still need to keep it in alignment with the headset, possibly at chest level?

This isn't something I'm unfamiliar with. I have used two Jabras, and one Cardo Scala ear piece. Both were good with the phone in my pocket, but it had to be on the same side of my body as the device. I've used 1 real MotoROKR S9 (as stated) which was more forgiving in terms of proximity, but it always seemed to be streaming audio, so there would be breaks, like rest periods.

Mostly, I will use this in the gym, where my phone will rest in a holder in front of my chest, or in my car (for the hands free, not the music function), where it will rest on the dashboard.
    Yeah, this has always puzzled me. Proximity and line-of-sight are much less forgiving when walking outside... But even in my car, I can have my phone anywhere and not have it break up. Something about the bluetooth frequency must work well with walls, or somethin'... I used to set up my Yamaha BT speaker at my workplace and could walk around, phone in either pocket, all over the store, 20-30 ft away and never broke signal.

My Rocketfish tends to be a little more forgiving for streaming audio outdoors, but only slightly more than my Backbeats. I think the internals and antenna for the devices are in the left headphone, which would explain why A2DP does better in the left pocket. However, it's crazy to think that moving a phone 1 ft to the left and that's it, gives MUCH better performance. Btw, anyone that's having problems with A2DP breaking up, screen facing out, left pocket is the best way for me. If you used a headset with the antenna on the right, I'm sure it would be right pocket. Screen facing out helps a lot too, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by azumak View Post
    Yeah, this has always puzzled me. Proximity and line-of-sight are much less forgiving when walking outside... But even in my car, I can have my phone anywhere and not have it break up. Something about the bluetooth frequency must work well with walls, or somethin'... I used to set up my Yamaha BT speaker at my workplace and could walk around, phone in either pocket, all over the store, 20-30 ft away and never broke signal.
    Indoors the Bluetooth is reflecting off walls so the signal can be strong without line of sight, often no drop outs in another room without the devices having line-of-sight because of the signal bouncing off walls. Generally outdoors you don't have the reflected signal.

Bluetooth does not pass through the human body well, so depending on the head peice antenna the transmitter should be located accordingly.

Saw the (authentic) S9's at The Source on clearance in Canada-in store deal for (I think ) $29
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I could get it replaced but can't find the receite
    Here is the phone number:

(800) 544-4660

They come with a 1 year warranty.
    I have the Plantronics Beatback 903, which is the same as the Altec Lansing.

They are one of the best stereo bluetooth headset I've ever had!

I love Plantronics!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I tried the Plantronics 903 Backbeat, but was not very happy with the sound quality of the bass, as it can be a bit distorted at times with some static on heavy bass. I was also not happy with the signal loss when outside (as mentioned before). The other thing I didn't like was the feel of the earpieces going into my ear - guess I prefer the padded kind that sit outside of the ear.

I did like that it used a micoUSB slot for recharging, so that saves on carrying around another charger. It is also pretty portable, as the unit is easily collapsible.

Personally I prefer my Motorola 305 headset.
    I've had my Motorola HT820 for about 4 years now.

Best headphones i've ever used.

Motorola released them before the s9's, and I find them a LOT more comfortable than the S9. Audio quality has always been perfect (from my Treo up to my Pre).

I've only experienced a few errors with Softick Audio Gateway with my Treo, but with the Pre it's been perfectly smooth. I've had these headphones paired with my phone while listening to music through my laptop's A2DP. It works perfectly to pause music, switch to a call, hang up and restart music. Very smooth.

Their battery life is unbelievable. I've used them for almost 12 hours (not continuously) with absolutely no indication of them running low.

I just wish Motorola decided to continue this series instead of focusing on the s9.

I'm debating the Plantronics 9xx series now, even though my HT820's work perfectly after 4 years of continuous use. I also definitely do not baby them, as they've been in my pants pockets during long flights, in my backpack, on my head while mountain biking... etc...
    I picked up a Samsung Modus 3500 and Motoroker s9HD today. Wasn't quite sure about the Motoroker and if it would be comfortable as they look a little uncomfortable and big for my ear. I just want a bluetooth headphone to use at my desk at work so I don't turn and pull my phone onto the floor. I happen to see the Samsung Modus hanging on the peg so I grabbed it too. I prefer just using it for one ear so I can still hear my office phone ring or if someone comes up. I had been using only the left of a regular set of headphones. I must say I'm impressed by the Samsung. Haven't tried the earbuds that can connect to it for stereo sound. The headset sounds decent to me and will work for my needs. I'm not even opening the Motoroker, I'll return them. Just my preference.
    it is not good .
    i love a good pair of stereo bluetooth headphones. i first had Cardo 3S(i think) 2 pair both broke in the same spot. then i got Koss porta pro. sounded pretty good but looked goofie (old school) plus my hair kept getting caught and i dont have alot to lose to a pair of headphones. then i got the Sony DR-BT101. they sounded good but when i was doing work and bent over they tended to fall off. i then got Sony DR-BT50. sounds great and very comfy. reminds me of the Bose over the ear headphones. IF there is any complaint is that every so often there is a split second hick up in the sound. i am not sure if it is the headphones or the Pre's bluetooth version.

they were about $95.00 but i really like my music and i am tired of getting my headphones pulled off because the wire got stuck on something.

PS. they fold up nice for when i travel
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Plantronics Backbeat 903's from Amazon about $42 bucks. 6-7 months.

...love 'em.

(I wear the Pre in a belt clip holster, face in.... biking, hiking, mowing the lawn, no problems,)