Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    all these fire sales have me concerned over the future of the touchstone.....i really hope future devices will be able to use it, but this sudden price drop and liquidation in all stores has me really worried. i hope i'm not alone, one of the best perks of owning a palm phone is being able to slap it on a touchstone.
    Maybe newer models? Who knows when they first introduced the touch stone they seemed really thrilled about it, and it seemed like they were going to have a whole line of touchstone products not just the charger, but I guess only time will tell.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Maybe newer models? Who knows when they first introduced the touch stone they seemed really thrilled about it, and it seemed like they were going to have a whole line of touchstone products not just the charger, but I guess only time will tell.
    well i've thought about this but i honestly can't figure out what they'd improve or change, its extremely simple and basic, i dont get wat they would need to change which is what has me worried.

i just hope it doesn't go away.
    Maybe Palm is planning on having a compass in the next WebOS device. If they did, you wouldn't be able to use the current TS with it, due to the magnets.

Maybe they are making a new version of the TS...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Maybe Palm is planning on having a compass in the next WebOS device. If they did, you wouldn't be able to use the current TS with it, due to the magnets.

Maybe they are making a new version of the TS...

i really really really dont understand the need for a compass, most phones have gps now and alot of ppl have seperate gps systems in their phones anyway, and if your a hiker outdoorsman then you most likely have a seperate compass anyway.

baffles me that ppl want a compass so bad, i mean how often are u really going to be using it? i'd rather have a spiffy charger then a compass i will never use.

if they do include a compass i hope your right and they redesign the touchstone i couldn't be without it, but there aren't very many ways to make it stick without docking it and docking isn't the same as it magically sticking on there via magnets, i can't think of any other way to make it stay there that isn't tacky, cheap, or just plain no good. :/
    A compass is needed for the layer applications. Which are really cool.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    smart phones will slowly start to include more and more sensors (senses). The more they know and can work out about the environment they better they can 'understand' what we are trying to do.

on the touchstone. They could moved the magnets from the back cover to the ts base. The cover could then include some metal to stick to. The metal would still have some effect on the compass but it could propably be calibrated out.
    Quote Originally Posted by sepherous View Post
    all these fire sales have me concerned over the future of the touchstone.....i really hope future devices will be able to use it, but this sudden price drop and liquidation in all stores has me really worried.
    Ooh, where can I buy another one cheap in the UK?
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    smart phones will slowly start to include more and more sensors (senses). The more they know and can work out about the environment they better they can 'understand' what we are trying to do.

on the touchstone. They could moved the magnets from the back cover to the ts base. The cover could then include some metal to stick to. The metal would still have some effect on the compass but it could propably be calibrated out.
    There are no magnets in the back cover, just in the Touchstone itself.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You're right. I just assumed that was what those 4 raised bumps were inside the cover. Just tested it with and it's definitely the TS that has the magnet.

Maybe it didn't work with the Evo because of the sensor positioning in that particular device then.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by scstock View Post
    Ooh, where can I buy another one cheap in the UK?
    i have no idea....i live in the states, but radio shack and best buy r liquidating.
    the evo posts that where converted I read indicadted that the compas works fine, just rendered inoperable WHILE on the touchstone
    I guess we'll have to wait and see.

One of the 3rd party Sprint stores in Gainesville is closing...went there yesterday to see what they had on sale and picked up all of their Micro-USB chargers and misc for $1.

Love a bargain and hate to see stores closing, but they were simply in the wrong place store wise.

Wanted some Touchstone chargers, but all they had were some Pixi TS backs and that's all. I plan to purchase TS for my Pre and am hopeful Palm/HP can figure it out still providing a compass, gyro, and otherwise.

Sorli...
    The magnet is not part of the inductive charging system, it is to hold the Pre/Pixi on the Touchstone.
    It would be nice if Palm could varify that new devices will work with the touchstone. That way people wouldn't hesitate to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Care to explain how the TS base "pulls" the Pre/Pixi into the proper position without a magnet in the cover?
    why are we inventing things to worry about?

there is no reason to think TS will change until someone has concrete info from Palm, IMHO
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    They need a TS with bluetooth, audio out, backup of personal data, media sync.

The touchstone is amazing, they just need to keep going with it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrecat21 View Post
    Care to explain how the TS base "pulls" the Pre/Pixi into the proper position without a magnet in the cover?
    The four 'studs' on the back are metal. There are four magnets in the touchstone base which correspond to them. If you hold a piece of metal to the touchstone back, does it stick? No. If you hold a piece of metal to the touchstone base, does it stick? Yes. You'll also note that you can spin the back to orient it any way as long as the four studs align with the magnets in the base.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    They need a TS with bluetooth, audio out, backup of personal data, media sync.

The touchstone is amazing, they just need to keep going with it....
    those things can all connect directly to the phone by bluetooth and wifi. why would you want to route them through a big magnet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast