Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Hi,

I put my then-new Touchstone on my bedside table a week or so ago. Moved it once or twice in the first few days and it was kinda gripping the table. Now I go to move it and it is glued down there (!). I had removed the clear plastic protective cover from the bottom of the TS when I put it on the wood table, now it doesn't want to move.

Before I just tear it off and no doubt break something, anyone tell me if I am going about this all wrong or am missing something obvious? Anyone else have this happen?
    thanks,
    Toby.
    In my experience....you are missing nothing. If the surface is wood (not laminate) I suspect you will do just fine yanking it off. That said YMMV.

Good luck.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I tell ya, it's really on there good. It felt like I could pick the table up with it. Is this supposed to be how it is?
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    I tell ya, it's really on there good. It felt like I could pick the table up with it. Is this supposed to be how it is?
    I had the same experience!! I got my TS a couple days before going out of town this past weekend, and when I went to pack it with my computer stuff, it was stuck to my bedside table!! I had to wiggle, push, shove, and pull it to get it off, but I did it!! My table isn't messed up or anything, so that's good. I took a piece of plastic, cute out a rectangle and put that on the bottom of my TS. I need to cut it so that it's circular to match the TS for a more clean look. That way, I can use it here, and then pack it up to travel.
    In my experience, yes.

Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I placed a brand new, never been stuck to anything, TS onto my wooden floor and a few hours later I had to move it. I thought the floor was going to come with it but it came off leaving no marks at all, thankfully. Of course... YMMV
    get out the 9 iron and whack that sucker off. LOL>
    careful!

I have had an experience different from others.. I have one bedside table that is antique, and has a layer of shellac on it. The touchstone pulled it off and it now has a circle there. I blame myself for putting something sticky on an admittedly flaky finish, But you would be wise to take care with removing it.

If its a newer table and the finish isn't old and already flaky, you should be just fine, no problems, but if it is an older finish prone to chipping, than be cautious and go slow.

I'll look around to see if there are any tricks (like a hair-dryer or ice-cubes or seltzer or something)

see my below post for clarification.
    Last edited by windzilla; 06/15/2010 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    careful!

I have had an experience different from others.. I have one bedside table that is antique, and has a layer of shellac on it. The touchstone pulled it off and it now has a circle there. I blame myself for putting something sticky on an admittedly flaky finish, But you would be wise to take care with removing it.

If its a newer table and the finish isn't old and already flaky, you should be just fine, no problems, but if it is an older finish prone to chipping, than be cautious and go slow.

I'll look around to see if there are any tricks (like a hair-dryer or ice-cubes or seltzer or something)
    I had the same, unfortunate, experience, with the Touchstone peeling off the clearcoat finish on a NEW custom-built desk. I suspect the problem was exacerbated by trying to remove it while it was still quite WARM after charging my Pre. Fortunately, I was able to "wax" my desktop, so the marred surface is barely visible.

When removing it, make sure the Touchstone is fully cooled, and then gently pull it up from one side, and make sure it's coming off cleanly. If not, try pulling it off from the other side.
    not "sticky", sunction-y
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Hi,

I put my then-new Touchstone on my bedside table a week or so ago. Moved it once or twice in the first few days and it was kinda gripping the table. Now I go to move it and it is glued down there (!). I had removed the clear plastic protective cover from the bottom of the TS when I put it on the wood table, now it doesn't want to move.

Before I just tear it off and no doubt break something, anyone tell me if I am going about this all wrong or am missing something obvious? Anyone else have this happen?
    Well, Palm calls it "Micro-Suction" not glue:

Touchstone Charging Dock features:
    • Set your phone on the dock and it begins charging on contact. Wires connect the dock to a power source.
    • Securely fasten the dock to a table, desk, or other surface with Micro-SuctionŽ material, which prevents the dock from moving when phone is removed.
    • Set your phone on the dock and it magnetically aligns in the correct position for charging in portrait or landscape mode.
    • Charge your phone in about the same amount of time as plugging into a standard wall charger.

Supposedly the "stickiness" is created by a form of nano-technology - if you want it to be less sticky, powder the bottom of it. If you want the grip restored, carefully wash it. (I prefer to let it stick so the TouchStone doesn't move around when I remove the Pre+ from it).

While mine has locked down pretty well to the desk, I've never actually damaged a surface when I removed it by just giving the device a twist/pull - (I'm not doubting those who say they have, just haven't damaged anything myself).
    Whenever I have to move mine I carefully slide a credit card in between the bottom of the touchstone and the nightstand to help release it without leaving marks
    another post to clarify my comments. The surface finish of my nightstand is very old and chips extremely easily.

I have had no difficulty or damage with any other surfaces, including bare and unfinished wood of varying ages.

I say "be cautious" because it can create a problem if you just rip it straight off (like I did) after being placed on worn/cracked finishes and allowed to fully micro-suctionize itself for a few days.

I wouldn't want someone to feat the touchstone because of my post,just don't place it on an antique finish that's already cracking, without being gentle when removing it.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I was able to remove it without any damage to the table, but I unfortunately tore a little of the sticky material on the TS. It's not too bad, but this is a PITA if every time I want to move it run the risk of (eventually) pulling the sticky material off the bottom of the TS.

I slipped a thin butter knife under it to try to release the suction, but it's not like a suction cup where you can break the edge of it and it's released -- this thing is suction-y all over the surface of the material. High tech, and potentially annoying.
    thanks,
    Toby.
    I'm sorry TPD15. But this is the funniest thread I ever read on Precentreal. LOL
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    @ bausti25: yeah, I have a hard time reading it with a straight face as well. Life could be worse for us webOS lovers, eh?
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I got a pack of 3 industrial strength strips of velcro at walmart for 3 bucks. I cut out a circle for my 3 touchstones and put sticky points everywhere.