Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Are there an advantages to using the Touchstone, or is it just another "gadget" for the Palm Pre Plus?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
    It is AWESOME to charge your Pre wirelessly. Now that is on clearance, you can pick one up for less than $20.00, I use 3, one in my car, office, & nightstand. There are a lot of threads so you can search, but my opinion is shared by almost all...
    I have 3 now (home, work, car). Well worth it. It's just so easy to set it on the TS and pick it back up and go.
    You dont know what you are missing!!!
  5.    #5  
    Interesting!! Does the Touchstone plug into the wall? Silly question, I know. lol

Also, where can I find the ones under $20?
    You have to set your phone down sometime, might as well set it on a Touchstone and let it charge while you are not using it. I also have one mounted on my dash in my car right next to my steering and besides having it playing Pandora while charging, another benefit now is I never forget my phone anymore.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EllenJ21 View Post
    Interesting!! Does the Touchstone plug into the wall? Silly question, I know. lol

Also, where can I find the ones under $20?
    Yes, the TS plugs into the wall and your Pre Plus just rests on top of it to charge. I recommend getting a TS too but there have been some problems reported about it sometimes intermittently disconnecting and reconnecting during a charge. It took me 2 replacements to get one that didn't have that issue, but you may be lucky and get one that works 100% from the get-go. Sure beats having to plug a micro-USB cable into your phone every night to recharge it!
    Touchstone is almost essential, in my opinion. That little USB door thingie on the side of the Pre isn't just a hassle, it's also begging to be accidentally snapped off! I can't imagine going back to wired charging on the Pre now. Radioshack touchstones are cheap if you can still find 'em (I bought the full touchstone kit for 20 bucks about a month ago), and I thought I read around here that Best Buy had 'em cheap, too.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    You have to set your phone down sometime, might as well set it on a Touchstone and let it charge while you are not using it. I also have one mounted on my dash in my car right next to my steering and besides having it playing Pandora while charging, another benefit now is I never forget my phone anymore.
    One thing I really enjoy is that the Palm Pre goes into speaker phone mode automatically when placed on the TouchStone. If I am on a call and want to share it with the wife, I can just set the phone on the TS and continue the conversation with nothing else required, *and* the battery continues to charge.

Like netwirkr9, I have one in my Truck which is incredibly handy and plan to run over to RadioShack and snag another for the wife's car this week.

Yeah, all of these inductive charging devices are "gadgets", but this one is a *very* useful gadget IMO.
    I have three. My daughter has one on her night stand. All I can say is they are awesome!
    it's great to just reach over on my couch without looking and put it on to charge
    I've had one since launch day. Now I have 3 (home, work, car) and can't imagine living without them.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Yes³

I have 4 of them... well worth it.
  14.    #14  
    I found one on bestbuy.com for $20. Radio Shack had them for like $16 or something, but they're out of stock (sad times!!).
    I have 3 of them, love it.
    Yes, it a gadget. I didnt buy into the hype right away, it seemed like a waste. But then I received one for Christmas and realize how great it is. No hassle at, just put your phone on the charger. I personally have one on my night stand. I can see the weather, my alert, etc just at a glance it awesome. So now I have more and one in the car too. I just like driving know my Pre is on by seeing the screen, instead of a black screen.
  17.    #17  
    Well, after looking online at them and where I could get one, I ran out to Best Buy this evening. Their website said they were $20, so I thought that was a great deal! Off I went to Best Buy, except in the store they're $50. Big difference!! So, I told the guy that I would just order it online since it was such a huge difference. He looked it up online, made sure it was the same product, and did a price match! Woo! So, I got it in store, without the wait time and the shipping fees, for the online price. Yay!!

When I got home, it took me a minute or two to connect the cord to the touchstone. And then I put my phone on it....except I had the touchstone upside down, so I was actually putting it on the bottom. lol I was wondering why it wouldn't charge. Once I figured that out, I got it the right way, but it still wouldn't charge. I just had to place it on there in a different way (higher up on the thing), and it worked! It's charging right now.

It'll be great to wake up in the middle of the night...or even in the morning, and not have to touch my phone to see what time it is since it's displayed on the screen when charging on the touchstone. I like it already!!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    One thing I really enjoy is that the Palm Pre goes into speaker phone mode automatically when placed on the TouchStone. If I am on a call and want to share it with the wife, I can just set the phone on the TS and continue the conversation with nothing else required, *and* the battery continues to charge.
    I found this to be a surprise bonus when I installed my 3rd TS in my car. Now I have an automatic handsfree device in my car, since it is illegal in my state to be driving and using a cell phone without hands-free.
    Guys,

If your still looking for a touchstone check out all the Radio Shack stores around. I did a search and found a list of five or six stores that listed them in stock. I went to three stores and got one at each. The last store still had a couple when I left. I also go the $9.95 PALM car charger, and they had the PALM leather? wallet for the Pre also. Worth checking out.

I use one at home, one at work, and one in my vehicle. I use one of the PALM car chargers to power the one in the vehicle.

If you are looking for another plug in charger check out Amazon. I bought two PALM travel chargers for $6.89 each. These work with the Touchstone, but not every USB plug in will. I decided to play it safe and use the PALM charger and PALM USB cord.

I think Amazon has the Touchstone for Like $24.00 so not too bad if you can't find it elsewehere

Cheers
    Touchstone = awesome end of story!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast