Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've begun bicycling more recently and am running FitTrack along with Streaming music to my Stereo Bluetooth headset. With that kind of power consumption, I estimate I only have about 3 hours of battery life with the standard battery.

I'm seeing Dynamo generators (a small cog spins with the bike wheel and generates power) for lights. I've also seen some DIY instructions for splicing one to work with phones and other devices, but I cannot find a kit that would offer charging a selection of common devices like the Pre.

Does anyone out there know of such a product on the market? I'm also looking at a solar charger, but I figure that the dynamo would offer more predictable charging since I'm supplying the power.

Any ideas are welcome, thanks.
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    http://www.ikonglobal.com/

<<Thread Moved>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/07/2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Pedal & Power

<<Thread Moved>>
    I found this one before I posted. The product has been discontinued.
    It looked promising, though. Thanks
  5.    #6  
    Sure, I have an external battery for my laptop that has a USB port, but that's missing the point. I want to generate power myself, not strap myself down with more weight and a bulky box on my handlebars.
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    This could work, but I'd like to see more elegance for $100+. I would still go with Solar at $65 over this one at $109, plus shipping.

I know I'm being picky, but then again I choose the Pre.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I'd also be interested in something like this. $100 for that convergence product is just outrageous. Looks like maybe $10 in parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic25 View Post
    Sure, I have an external battery for my laptop that has a USB port, but that's missing the point. I want to generate power myself, not strap myself down with more weight and a bulky box on my handlebars.
    wow, make sure it puts out the right power specs. I burned out the usb port on my first pre by plugging it in to an unapproved source.
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    wow, make sure it puts out the right power specs. I burned out the usb port on my first pre by plugging it in to an unapproved source.
    It's a Tekkeon myPower All plus. The DC out has several voltage settings so I can choose to simply run the laptop off the external source or recharge the internal battery while it's running. The separate USB port on the battery always outputs 5V, so no worries about overpowering the phone.

It comes in handy during long meetings and when traveling. It basically doubles my laptop's battery life with the versatility to charge other devices.

It's still a bit bulky to strap to my bike just to extend the battery on the phone, though.
    Hang on....bike....out side....any good solar options out these days?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I grew up riding bicycles that had dynamos to power the lights. They sucked, but you got your electricity without batteries. They are still commonly used in Europe (and elsewhere probably), and should be pretty cheap.

Only thing is that I cannot remember if they produce a constant voltage or a constant current. Either way it will cause you some problems. no doubt Google has some info tucked away.
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Hang on....bike....out side....any good solar options out these days?
    I'm leaning toward the Solio Classic Charger to solve my problems. First, it's a small form factor backup battery that I can charge at home and supplement my Pre. It also works with multiple devices, so I can backup charge other phones or iPods if needed. Then, on top of that, it works as a solar charger for itself. Multi-purpose use for $80 retail. I've seen it for ~$65 on the internets.

Solio Classic | Universal Portable Solar Charger

It's not a very efficient solar charger with an estimated 9 hour charge time from the sun only. But if I top it off at home and somehow mount it on the bike, I could see it handling my needs, easily.

The interesting test would be if I took it on a multi-day ride or camping.
  13.    #14  
    Update - I purchased the Solio Classic-i (newer version). It was $80 including 2 day shipping and one device adapter. I was going to buy it at Radio Shack, but I couldn't be sure it was the newer version and the prices were too close to risk it. The adapter needed for the Pre also works for my wifes Blackberry. At the very least, it will hold an additional charge from home and it's small enough to attach to the bike somewhere. Now I just have to find some genius way to mount it so that it can charge while I ride.

In my mind, this is a much more universal solution. It can be used with more that one device and doesn't require my bike to make it work. I can take it camping or use it for other emergencies.
    yay !
    ĦṔ-Ḷ°ěṫ-Ŧḯěη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Update - I purchased the Solio Classic-i (newer version). It was $80 including 2 day shipping and one device adapter. I was going to buy it at Radio Shack, but I couldn't be sure it was the newer version and the prices were too close to risk it. The adapter needed for the Pre also works for my wifes Blackberry. At the very least, it will hold an additional charge from home and it's small enough to attach to the bike somewhere. Now I just have to find some genius way to mount it so that it can charge while I ride.

In my mind, this is a much more universal solution. It can be used with more that one device and doesn't require my bike to make it work. I can take it camping or use it for other emergencies.
    Just an opinion (and that's all it is)... I ride my bike frequently, but never long enough to need to charge my phone until I get to another power source. (always making sure the battery is 100% before I leave) Besides, when I ride my bike, I'm not using my phone. I tend to enjoy the scenery around me.
    I bike over 200 miles a week,use blutooth and jogstats app,tried them all and jogstats is the best one,anyway, I take the solio solar charger with me. Also have a bike mount for handlebars and it works great,,riding and always able to look down at screen.even when I'm not using bluetooth all I have to do is hit speaker phone and I can talk and ride at same time.. I love having that charger w me,,very light,,has a clip,and charges fast.
    I've begun bicycling more recently and am running FitTrack along with Streaming music to my Stereo Bluetooth headset. With that kind of power consumption, I estimate I only have about 3 hours of battery life with the standard battery.

I'm seeing Dynamo generators (a small cog spins with the bike wheel and generates power) for lights. I've also seen some DIY instructions for splicing one to work with phones and other devices, but I cannot find a kit that would offer charging a selection of common devices like the Pre.

Does anyone out there know of such a product on the market? I'm also looking at a solar charger, but I figure that the dynamo would offer more predictable charging since I'm supplying the power.

Any ideas are welcome, thanks.
    I was also looking for such stereo headset with charger which I can use for charging my phone from any where but couldn't get it.Then I got a portable solar charger and I must say its the great.I can use it every where and charge my phone from any where.You must try it.
    Last edited by danielhenry31; 06/25/2010 at 05:11 AM.
    chronic25, what model no. did you end up with? How is it working for you?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast