View Poll Results: Result of Back cover mod described here

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great, works as a charm. Finally!

    38 69.09%
  • Seems to work, but not sure yet!

    11 20.00%
  • No Improvement at all!

    4 7.27%
  • This mod sucks, Back to the drawingboard!

    2 3.64%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 98
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    It goes on absolutely perfect with this mod, just take your time doing it and you will be fine. Mine looked no different afterwards.
    Pip my man, you have made my day. First with the other post and now with this. I will do this mod later tonight and post the result up.

    And thank you again Pip, it is truely people like you that make this community what it is.

    EDIT: Just did the mod using a regular peice of paper instead. It all went well except for the metal sheet. I had trouble taking it off, which resulted in a small peice of one of the corners to be torn off, and i had some truobles getting it alligned perfectly when putting it back on. It is complete tho and is currently charging fine on my TS. I will report back in the morning to see if this has fix my problem.

    EDIT2: My pre was on my TS all night and i didn't get a single bing-bong sound out of it. Works like a charm. Thanks
    Last edited by Krab19; 09/25/2010 at 10:32 AM.
  2. rpankoe's Avatar
    Posts
    287 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #62  
    I have this issue with the conastant bing after reaching 100% charge. I was just turning to vibrate and not having ringer on,but now I've found that when people call me, the Pre answers itself and puts people on speakerphone! I wake up with people talking to me that called! I think my issue may not be resolved with this fix or a business card because I have the radioshack plastic case/holster and that has a plastic back that goes over the TS back anyway. It charges through it fine,but only till it hits that 100%. Then it does the repedative binging.
  3. #63  
    Works like an charm!
    Thank you so much for this solution
  4. xPer's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    #64  
    I bought a Touchstone last week in the O2 shop while I was on a day trip in Germany and it had this annoying battery charging notification issue when it came above 95% charging....First tested the issue by putting my frequent flyer card between the Touchstone and my Pre+ and the Touchstone then worked as it should have been out of the box.
    This morning I put a piece of plastic behind the coil as described in this solution ( I used an expired loyalty card for this ) and now my Pre+ Touchstone combo works as it should have been from the start.

    Thanks for the root cause investigation and solution description...
  5. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #65  
    This has been driving me crazy in my car! I have Touchstones at home that work perfectly, but I get this Bing Bong problem all the time in the car. I got two free car chargers from Sprint when I got my Pres, but they're not Palm OEM car chargers. Looks like I'll need a new car charger to solve the problem.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I get the same thing in the car with Palm chargers. Is it when you brake?
    Think that's a power issue. If it charges well, there's two patches in Preware: 1 to stop your Pre from notifying you and 1 to stop making that sound.

    No charging banner on AC or Touchstone
    Disable Charging Alert Sound
    Same here if i turn on my headlights, or high beam in my Prius.
    A voltage Dip in the 12 volt system causes the TS to reset.
    Remember the TS is not meant to be used in a car.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
  7. #67  
    Govanah's battery current display is a good source of information about what's going on with charging.
  8. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I get the same thing in the car with Palm chargers. Is it when you brake?
    Think that's a power issue. If it charges well, there's two patches in Preware: 1 to stop your Pre from notifying you and 1 to stop making that sound.

    No charging banner on AC or Touchstone
    Disable Charging Alert Sound
    Actually, I've looked for correlations and found none. I drive 60 miles each way to and from work across open desert at 75 MPH, with no braking. Cruise control. Mostly flat drive. It just happens at random. I figure I just don't get enough juice through the car charger to run the TS.

    To asnwer the other question, it does not charge well. In fact, it is kinda weird. I had two identical car chargers. When the BingBong started, I switched car chargers since I noticed that the LED on the charger was going on and off too. I figured I had the problem there, but with the other one, the light stays on. When I drive to work, I start at about 100% and I just want to keep it there. I get BingBong for about 15 minutes of the hour's drive, but I get there with 100% battery. On the way home, no BingBong at all. It shows the time, so I know it is in docked mode, but the battery that was at 70% when I left work is now at 50% when I get home. That's about what it would lose on the trip if it had not been plugged in anyway. I use BlueTooth to listen to Rush and I make one phone call home each time I'm driving home for about 10 minutes. (OK, actually since I'm roaming through Verizon territory on the way home, it is more like five 2 minute calls with all the dropped calls and re-dials).
  9. #69  
    This method was definitely the solution to my problem. With an unmodified Touchstone back I had regular annoying bing-bongs.

    It is very easy to verify that it will work. Simply insert a card (a bit over 0.5 mm thick) between the Pre and Touchstone and if the cycling is better you need this solution. Having done that I stuck a pile of adhesive paper labels onto my Touchstone and played around with the thickness until I got good perfromance with 8 labels. I then cut my spacer from that stack of labels and proceeded with Richard's mod. No more bing-bongs.

    Thank you very much Richard!!

    EDIT: To reduce problems of realignment, I just peeled back the tape and foil as one, leaving them attached, so that after inserting the spacer under the coil, I could just fold them down and press them into place.
    Last edited by johncc; 11/25/2010 at 06:58 PM.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    This method was definitely the solution to my problem. With an unmodified Touchstone back I had regular annoying bing-bongs.

    It is very easy to verify that it will work. Simply insert a card (a bit over 0.5 mm thick) between the Pre and Touchstone and if the cycling is better you need this solution. Having done that I stuck a pile of adhesive paper labels onto my Touchstone and played around with the thickness until I got good perfromance with 8 labels. I then cut my spacer from that stack of labels and proceeded with Richard's mod. No more bing-bongs.

    Thank you very much Richard!!
    Make sure you vote at top of this thread!!

    It seems even the Pre2 suffers from this. I'll check this afternoon, i will receive some Pre2's so i have something to play with.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
  11. schraal's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #71  
    yeah, same problem with the Pre2.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    Make sure you vote at top of this thread!!

    It seems even the Pre2 suffers from this. I'll check this afternoon, i will receive some Pre2's so i have something to play with.
    Yes, already did.
  13. #73  
    I tried this and after a day it seems to have worked. Here's a tip for anyone trying to test: Download the "Lumberjack" app from preware. In the "What to look for" dropdown choose "Custom..." and type "chargeSourceSet" in the box. The tap the "Follow Log" button. You will now see a message any time the phone thinks it has been placed or removed from a charger. I used this so that I could put my phone on the touchstone and leave it for hours and then come back and see how often and at what times it had cycled while I was gone.
  14. #74  
    works perfect on pre plus and pre 2. solved the issue; no waking op at 1 am wondering what the noise is. thanks
  15. #75  
    Awesome mod, thanks. For those not wanting to mess too much with their hardware, I just taped the clear plastic sheet that came on the bottom (sticky part) of the touchstone to the top of it and had the same result.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Actually, I've looked for correlations and found none. I drive 60 miles each way to and from work across open desert at 75 MPH, with no braking. Cruise control. Mostly flat drive. It just happens at random. I figure I just don't get enough juice through the car charger to run the TS.

    To asnwer the other question, it does not charge well. In fact, it is kinda weird. I had two identical car chargers. When the BingBong started, I switched car chargers since I noticed that the LED on the charger was going on and off too. I figured I had the problem there, but with the other one, the light stays on. When I drive to work, I start at about 100% and I just want to keep it there. I get BingBong for about 15 minutes of the hour's drive, but I get there with 100% battery. On the way home, no BingBong at all. It shows the time, so I know it is in docked mode, but the battery that was at 70% when I left work is now at 50% when I get home. That's about what it would lose on the trip if it had not been plugged in anyway. I use BlueTooth to listen to Rush and I make one phone call home each time I'm driving home for about 10 minutes. (OK, actually since I'm roaming through Verizon territory on the way home, it is more like five 2 minute calls with all the dropped calls and re-dials).
    Just a guess, sounds like the car (or the 12v plug wired to the car). Even if you are "charging" with a TS, you may not be getting a proper charge from the cars electronics. So with the amount of use you have going on (streaming music via BT, phone call(s) via BT, and the VZW roaming issues that eat battery), good chance you are drawing more than your car is supplying.

    Do you have your headlight on at either time of the drive? This is going to be your biggest draw that may only happen at certain times of the day, giving you a different result with the TS at different times of the day.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  17. #77  
    I bought my charger online, used, and cannot return it. Not wanting to take apart the coil just yet, I thought I would try something easier. Took a piece of clear plastic (hard plastic from a fruit container) and cut it to the shape and size of the top of the stone and attached it to the top of the stone with clear tape. It looks good. So far after 2 days it hasn't beeped but once, when it became fully charged. The magnet doesn't have as strong a hold but that is to be expected.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    I bought my charger online, used, and cannot return it. Not wanting to take apart the coil just yet, I thought I would try something easier. Took a piece of clear plastic (hard plastic from a fruit container) and cut it to the shape and size of the top of the stone and attached it to the top of the stone with clear tape. It looks good. So far after 2 days it hasn't beeped but once, when it became fully charged. The magnet doesn't have as strong a hold but that is to be expected.
    Installing the spacer under the coil is not as hard as it sounds. Now that you have proved that the 'clear plastic' material solves your problem you have the material for the spacer. The components are all held in place with a glue which is not too hard to dislodge and is reuseable.

    Just carefully prise everything, including the coil, carefully up with a craft knife. (leave the tape attached at the end to aid relocation and be careful with the connector section). Cut a donut shape from your spacer material to match the coil, insert between the coil and back cover and press everything back into place. All done!
  19. #79  
    My Pre2 has no touchstone problems. My Pre Plus does though, and I've had that phone replaced twice.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    My Pre2 has no touchstone problems. My Pre Plus does though, and I've had that phone replaced twice.
    So, is it fixed by putting a business card between the Pre+ and the Touchstone?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions