Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great, works as a charm. Finally!

38 69.09%
  • Seems to work, but not sure yet!

11 20.00%
  • No Improvement at all!

4 7.27%
  • This mod sucks, Back to the drawingboard!

2 3.64%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    If it's a touchstone problem, why open the phone at all? why not attach some film or tape to the touchstone at a thickness that helps? or get a seidio back that work with TS...?
    It is not the issue WHERE the problem is, it is HOW to solve the issue. Problem is that the 2 coils -which needs to be coupled on a certain distance- are to close to each other. My solution presented solves this issue, by sepereating the coils a fraction more, regardless of the cause is in some touch stones. It is the result that counts here, and it works.

Beside that, access to the back cover is easy, and this modification can be done in 5 minutes. If it does not work, you can experiment with various thicknesses, and you can also remove the modification without any physical damage. Personally i don't like the appearance of tape, or film attached to my touch stone. Thats why. I modified more than 25 back covers, and in 1 case it would not help. In that case, the wall charger was broken, and i replaced it.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    It is not the issue WHERE the problem is, it is HOW to solve the issue. Problem is that the 2 coils -which needs to be coupled on a certain distance- are to close to each other. My solution presented solves this issue, by sepereating the coils a fraction more, regardless of the cause is in some touch stones. It is the result that counts here, and it works.

Beside that, access to the back cover is easy, and this modification can be done in 5 minutes. If it does not work, you can experiment with various thicknesses, and you can also remove the modification without any physical damage. Personally i don't like the appearance of tape, or film attached to my touch stone. Thats why. I modified more than 25 back covers, and in 1 case it would not help. In that case, the wall charger was broken, and i replaced it.
    The problem I have with this fix is that is has people messing with tiny ribbon cables that can break if not handled delicately, thus leaving a person without any touchstone ability until they shell out some cash for a new back. The film solution at least is safer. Plus, one could always "make it pretty"...
    Not knocking your solution, just offering an alternative. Esp since the real problem is with certain TSs, never with certain phones...
    Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 08/25/2010 at 06:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Esp since the real problem is with certain TSs, never with certain phones...
    I tried multiple TSs (>5) and my pre would never charge properly on any of them. After doing this mod my pre has charged perfectly with any TS it has come in contact with. Obviously it was my back that was the problem and not the TS. Just a heads up so you can fix your statement.

Pip
    Great fix. Thanks!
    well shoot, after 5 minutes of the business card on the back... i haven't gotten a beep. This has been a huge annoyance at work because I can't leave my phone on the touchstone, heh.

Though, I'm not fond of having to mess w/ the touchstone back, I may have to give it a try. Just have to find something to use as the spacer. Or, just leave the business card next to my work touchstone.

Anyone worried about the heat it generates for long term use? I can have my phone on the touch stone for hours at a time. It gets pretty warm.
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    well shoot, after 5 minutes of the business card on the back... i haven't gotten a beep. This has been a huge annoyance at work because I can't leave my phone on the touchstone, heh.

Though, I'm not fond of having to mess w/ the touchstone back, I may have to give it a try. Just have to find something to use as the spacer. Or, just leave the business card next to my work touchstone.

Anyone worried about the heat it generates for long term use? I can have my phone on the touch stone for hours at a time. It gets pretty warm.
    Normal plain paper works to put under the coil. Start out with one piece and add another if needed.

Pip
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post

Try 2 business cards. Additional thickness might solve it. Heat is really not a big issue, the Pre can handle it remarkably well.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    Try 2 business cards. Additional thickness might solve it. Heat is really not a big issue, the Pre can handle it remarkably well.
    actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the paper/plastic melting than the pre itself getting hot

I may have to do two. I spoke too soon.. 1hr later, it dinged on me. though, that does seem to indicate my issue is indeed what you've seemed to pick out.
    hrm, dang. I can't seem to get the metal film removed. no matter how slow or carefully I go, it want's to separate from itself... blast.
    I just got my touchstone and was showing my wife and she was like why does it keep making that noise.

I used the business card test and it worked great. I don't think I will do the whole fix, just because it is just as easy for me to use the business card.

This is why the Palm Community is the best.

Thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachos View Post
    I just got my touchstone and was showing my wife and she was like why does it keep making that noise.

I used the business card test and it worked great. I don't think I will do the whole fix, just because it is just as easy for me to use the business card.

This is why the Palm Community is the best.

Thanks again
    If you just got it exchange it for one that works. Exchange one part at a time so you can verify which part is faulty.
    Okay, I'm seeing a lot of confusion here, so let me try to clarify a little bit.

This fix *IS NOT* to repair a defective battery cover. People seem to be getting hung up on this detail. This fix is specifically to correct for the proximity between the two coils. It seems that, in some Touchstones, the coil is too close to the top surface, which somehow causes interference with the induction mechanism. Our good friend Richard (thank you, sir! I keep missing phonecalls because I have to keep the ringer off on the TS) has proposed a possible fix for the situation, not for the battery cover. It only so happens that it is infinitely easier to modify the battery cover than to open and modify the Touchstone itself, as well as much cheaper, should you damage what you are modifying.

Personally, I am so very thankful that Richard took the time to research and experiment with this problem to come up with this DIY solution. I don't know about everyone else, but I have a hole at the seam in my car's gas tank, so I have to keep my fuel level stupidly low to keep from losing it all over, so going to my local Best Buy (about fifteen minutes from here) to swap out my Touchstone for another that is *potentially* just as faulty and therefore necessitating *another* trip really creates so much more hassle, not to mention that at this point I'm well outside of my exchange window, so a hearty thank you, sir!
    Thanks for this fix! I did it last night and it worked! I first made sure it would using the business card method. I had an extra TS back cover and wanted to replace the one I had on my Pre for over a year. It was looking a little beat up and faded and such. I couldn't use the spare one I had until now.

One question though. I noticed that the TS cover I am using now does not have as good of a magnetic hold as the one I was using. It didn't have a good hold before I made the fix modification, so I know that's not the cause. It came that way. Any reason why? Maybe that is the link to the failing TS covers. Who knows.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I wonder if one of the ZAGG body shields would be thick enough (like the business card) to negate the need to mod the back cover?

I've had the Bing-Bong issue before but it's rare and I just though it was because I'd put the Pre too low on the Touchstone. The few times I've had that happen I just slid the Pre around a few seconds until it stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I wonder if one of the ZAGG body shields would be thick enough (like the business card) to negate the need to mod the back cover?

I've had the Bing-Bong issue before but it's rare and I just though it was because I'd put the Pre too low on the Touchstone. The few times I've had that happen I just slid the Pre around a few seconds until it stopped.
    See, this may be a pattern. I had stated in my post in this thread that we should see if the TS back that has intermittent charging also doesn't have a strong magnetic hold. As you stated, you have to move your Pre around on the TS until you get it to fit right. The TS cover that I had on my Pre before I replaced it with the brand new one had a really strong hold. It would line itself up perfectly and it couldn't be in a wrong position on the TS. This new one I am using that required the mod seems like it's going to fall off my car TS at anytime. Just a thought.
    No, the hold is actually really strong. If I set the device on the TS I have to hold the TS to remove the device from it or slide it off the TS so the magnet releases. If I don't do either of those the TS gets dragged along with the device.
    Well, there goes my theory...
    Thanks for posting this!! I did not bother taking my phone apart to fix though, the business card trick seems to be working, and I'd rather do that than potentially wreck my phone (because I probably would!!)

The touchstone I got from Verizon works fine, but my Radio Shack $7.97 has the da-ding sound once it reaches 100% charge....I bought one for home use, and one for the car, I'll probably use the business card one for the car!! I'm thinking I'll trim it down to fit on top, and just tape the edges to hold it in place or something, I won't need it a lot in the car, so it should work fine that way.
    I have had my touchstone for about two weeks now and intially i got this issue once in a while, but the past two night it has caused me to wake up in the middle of the night to the "Bing-Bong" sound. I am highly considering trying this mod, just wanted to know how well the reassembly is. Does everything reconnect with ease? will the black cover stick back on well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    I have had my touchstone for about two weeks now and intially i got this issue once in a while, but the past two night it has caused me to wake up in the middle of the night to the "Bing-Bong" sound. I am highly considering trying this mod, just wanted to know how well the reassembly is. Does everything reconnect with ease? will the black cover stick back on well?
    It goes on absolutely perfect with this mod, just take your time doing it and you will be fine. Mine looked no different afterwards.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast