Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great, works as a charm. Finally!

38 69.09%
  • Seems to work, but not sure yet!

11 20.00%
  • No Improvement at all!

4 7.27%
  • This mod sucks, Back to the drawingboard!

2 3.64%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am only having this issue at 100% and only on my phone.... brought my TS to work today so I can test it out when I am not asleep.

Just picked up the TS backs on Friday and the wife's is fine so I may just have her take mine and exchange it for another back, see if that remedies the situation.
    I got as far as peeling of the first bit then got scared and put it all back together!
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scstock View Post
    I got as far as peeling of the first bit then got scared and put it all back together!
    This is the scenario I was speaking of in my previous post.

@ scstock
    Maybe you could try a skin or invisible shield (or 2) to prevent having to take the back cover apart. Not too terribly expensive to try.
    Interesting thread. I had one TS where a piece of paper in between helped. My Pre worked on a friend's TS without problems so I concluded a problem with the TS and returned it. The one I got in return worked ok for months but now gives me seldom ding-dongs.

In the meantime I bought a second TS for work, but with that one the charging note in the notification area was constantly popping in and out. Piece of paper didn't help.

O2 refunded me for that one and I got a third one which is ok again.
    My friends Pre has the same problems with my second TS, and works fine with my third one, so since our Pre's behave similar on our touchstones, good and bad, we feel that the issue may be mainly in the touchstones or certain combinations of touchstone and back cover.

We took that second TS apart and noticed that there are two coils, one for charging and one which seems to do some way of communication, most likely for detecting the Pre. Because if the Pre isn't present, the charging coil doesn't "send" constantly like it does when the Pre is present.

On the smaller "communication" coil (we had an oscilloscope at hand) we noticed a sine wave with some signal modulated on it which we think is for detecting the phone.

Since the TS only "sends" power continuously if that phone detection is successful, we think the ding-dong issue is in fact the TS thinking that the phone was taken away for short periods. So in consequence that transmission of the "commucation"/detection coil doesn't work reliably.

Since the TS solutions is designed to be manufactured as a mass product (no rocket science!), we also believe that the distance isn't critical for the charging itself as long as the TS thinks the phone is present.

We do not know yet, how that detection scheme works and what exactly could be the reason for the TS to loose the connection intermittently. One thought we have is that maybe the modulation on the smaller coil may not be stable at all times, but that's mere guessing.

Did anybody else looked into how the TS and phone actually interact and what could probably be the reason why the TS periodically thinks the phone has been taken away? At least that's our interpretation of why the phone does ding-dong: The TS stops "sending" power for short intervals.
    Last edited by palimpalim; 07/21/2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: correctly a variety of spelling errors.. oops
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Same here...the cycling only seems to occur once the Pre is at full charge. I thought I was losing my mind....this has only recently started to occur on the Touchstone that I use at work (which I took on vacation with me and my wife kept asking me why my phone kept turning one during the night!)

Here I was uninstalling patches, etc. trying to determine which one "broke" the charging notification. Thanks for the great investigative work...I do wish there was a way to fix the Touchstone as opposed to the back cover as the variable seems to be the Touchstone.

I wonder if the heat generated from charging over a period of time causes a change in the position of the coil in the Touchstone?
    Todd Martin
    Our house has 2 Pre's (different carriers) and 4 Touchstones. I almost had as many different problems as combinations of phones, cables and Touchstones. I haven't performed the fix yet but it appears this will be the fix i need. One interesting thing - some of my combinations needed different thicknesses of spacer. Most were OK with a standard business card but one combo of phone, cable and Touchstone needed something almost as think as a credit card. So I think I will modify both phones with the credit card thickness since all combos work at that thickness. Seems like its some combination of factors/tolerances in the phone/cable/Touchstone. I used the same two Palm wall chargers and they seemed to be the only thing that made no difference. Anyway, glad the apparent fix has been found. I was having problems with car chargers also with similar problems when using Touchstones so hopefully this will fix that also (haven't verified that yet). I think I may do this and upgrade teh magnets at the same time. until them will use a business card (or two) between the phone and Touchstone!
    The thing that irritates me is that one should assume that Palm had designed the TS in a way that tolerances of paper thickness shouldn't matter.

Thus, I assume the fault is not in the distance, it just helps to alleviate the real issue.
    or it could just be that when at work you are distracted by...well, WORK...lol, and not being as careful with ts to pre placement? they are VERY picky about position for charge without giving you the charge cycle warning sound.

if you search creepycat and touchstone in forums you should find a long winded, but easy to envision/follow, trick i learned to solve the misalignment issue. i have not had it since using my weird but reliable method.
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycat View Post
    or it could just be that when at work you are distracted by...well, WORK...lol, and not being as careful with ts to pre placement? they are VERY picky about position for charge without giving you the charge cycle warning sound.

if you search creepycat and touchstone in forums you should find a long winded, but easy to envision/follow, trick i learned to solve the misalignment issue. i have not had it since using my weird but reliable method.
    Same touchstone, same phone at work and at home.... same 100% charge issue (even using my Centro battery last night, I know the battery shouldn't make a difference was charging it up for another purpose, but same exact result). Other Pre, other touchstone, haven't had the 100% issue yet (thankfully since the wife can't easily charge at work as I can). Still have not yet had a chance to charge are phones on the opposite stones to see if that changes the result.
    I have just cut my business card and put it between the coil and the back cover as instructed. It works as a charm so far.

A little drama, I lost one of the four metal pieces. Not sure how that happened. I have use a couple of staples as replacement. It seems everything works very well.
    Since this was bumped figured I would post.... I have not tried this fix, and will not. My one touchstone that has the power cycling issue has been confirmed to be a touchstone issue. As in both phones do it on the touchstone and it's probably 10-20 minutes after first seeing 100%. Neither phone does it on the other touchstone. This is with 2 separate phones and 2 separate backs.

So the wife and/or I will be going to VZW to exchange said touchstone.
    Cool! Though I do not have a pre yet, thanks a lot! Will have a try once I get one
    Just as an update, exchanged the bad touchstone yesterday. Phone was charged to 100% before I went to sleep, was on touchstone all night, not one charging cycle issue all night. So at least in my case the issue was the touchstone.
    Worked perfectly, thanks for the research and instructions.
    touchstone great idea, however, faulty.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Just did the mod. Took about 10 careful minutes. Seems to be working! I cut out my plastic spacer from an old, unused screen protector from my old HTC Diamond. Finally that phone came in handy! Lol.

Thanks for the thoughtful advice.
    Worked for me so far. The metal sheet came right up with the tape, and I didn't even have to remove the coil and board - the coil tipped up far enough for me to slip my plastic piece in there. Great fix! Thanks. (By the way, I am not a person who generally disassembles electronics, and it really wasn't that scary.)
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    The inside back cover of my AT&T palm pre doesn't look like that.

Yesterday a business card solved it so I could ignore it (first night after getting it, then discovering issue).

Tried card again today, worked for first few hours then started happening again.

Opened back cover to look, but I see no metal sheet, no tape:

BTW doesn't happen at all on my work touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    The inside back cover of my AT&T palm pre doesn't look like that.

Yesterday a business card solved it so I could ignore it (first night after getting it, then discovering issue).

Tried card again today, worked for first few hours then started happening again.

Opened back cover to look, but I see no metal sheet, no tape:

BTW doesn't happen at all on my work touchstone.
    If you look at the pics in the OP, you will see that that black stuff IS the tape and the metal coil is underneath!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    If it's a touchstone problem, why open the phone at all? why not attach some film or tape to the touchstone at a thickness that helps? or get a seidio back that work with TS...?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast