Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Hi,

I just bought a Palm Pre Plus from AT&T, and the provided an attractive hard case. I definitely want to provide some extra protection for my Pre, and like the cut out in the back for the touchstone charger that this case provides. But I find that the case doesn't fit the Pre very well (it slips a bit out of the case), and it also crowds the keyboard too much.

Is there a better keyboard out there that protects the Pre, doesn't crowd the keyboard, and that one can use w/ the touchstone?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jprint714; 05/31/2010 at 02:27 PM.
    GRT is the best hard case because it attaches to itself, and not the edges of the phone.

If you want to use a "skin" to keep it small and light. I use a ZAGG. Also good are Skinomi and similar brands. There are some helpful videos on zagg.com showing just how touch the skins can be - and they have a lifetime warranty.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...some-case.html

If you order from the manufacture website, they send you both backs (with and without touchstone hole.

If you get it at the store, I don't think they offer both backs...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/31/2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Also, if you use a case, you should use the more generic Palm screen protector (Radio Shack is blowing them our for less than $5 right now).

The skins I mentioned above are think enough to interfere with most cases or holsters... I have a boxlite holster and the first time I put my phone in it, it tore the corners off my zagg. oops.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thanks very much. It turns out this is the very case I had! It's nice, but I found that the rails on the side and the lip on the bottom of the front face of the phone interfered w/ the keypad. That was my experience, anyway.

Is there a better case out there that doesn't interfere in the same way? What about the skins? Do they offer enough durability?

Thanks again...
    Quote Originally Posted by jprint714 View Post
    Thanks very much. It turns out this is the very case I had! It's nice, but I found that the rails on the side and the lip on the bottom of the front face of the phone interfered w/ the keypad. That was my experience, anyway.

Is there a better case out there that doesn't interfere in the same way? What about the skins? Do they offer enough durability?

Thanks again...
    My experience with cases is that they all interfere with the keys a bit, because the keys are jammed so close to the top and side edges. I only looked at a few cases, but I didn't see any that was any better or worse.

As far as skins go, they are great for everything other than being dropped on a hard surface from a decent height.

The plastic material they use for the skins is similar to the "Color Forms" stickers that my kids used to play with - do you know what those are?

The material they use for these skins is also used on the leading edge of fighters and various aircraft. They are very resistant to abrasion or impact such as tossing it on a table or putting it in your pocket with keys. You could put your phone on the driveway and kick it across the concrete like a hockey puck and barely scratch the skin. The phone would be completely protected. And they warranty them for life so they will replace it if you ever scratch it (or have to take it off your phone because you have to replace the phone for an unrelated reason).

Where the skins can't protect is in a high velocity impact, like dropping it on the driveway, dropping a hammer on it, etc. The skin will protect it from being scratched, but it will add very little in the way of absorbing impact. It would help a little in that it makes the phone surface a bit sturdier. I haven't had the nerve to actually drop my Pre+ to see if it would crack/explode, or whether it would survive like my Blackberry has (goodness knows I've tried to kill my BlackBerry many times... I hate that thing).

I am more inclined to thing the Pre would survive a drop, although the moving parts might loose a bit - which can be re-tightened if you are adventurous enough to try it...

However, since the corners are part of the same piece of plastic , I would think a direct meeting between a corner and a hard floor could do some damage (as opposed to an iPhone/Droid/etc that have a frame around the corners).

I dropped my first pre once on the garage floor and it didn't break, but it fell out of my car from about 3 feet, and landed right on the side. It didn't damage the phone or the zagg, but it cause my heart to skip a few beats...

In summary, you are playing the odds of what damage you want protection from. I found that I drop phones more by knocking them out of my holster when bumping something. With the Pre, it's usually in my pocket so it doesn't have the same likelihood of being dropped for the way I use it. That's why I opted to use a skin.

I don't know that there is any difference between various brands - other than that some cover the corners, and some don't. I have a ZAGG that covers the corners, and a Skinomi that doesn't...

I'm not affiliated with any of these guys, and you can find several brands on Amazon.com and other sites by searching for "Palm Pre Skin". Also, when you purchase one, make sure you specify Pre or Pre+, because the Pre+ skin doesn't have a hole for the button that is on the Pre. You don't want that hole if you don't need it, because your finger will catch on in when swiping across the gesture area...

Here is a thread with some good discussion on what other members think about various brands... There are probably a few other threads like this if you really enjoy reading...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-pre-plus.html

Check out this video that shows how tough these are.

PS, Zagg also offers leather skins for the back. I would imagine those would offer some protection. I don't know if they would work with a touchstone...
    Quote Originally Posted by jprint714 View Post

Thanks again...
    Hmmm... Do you have the old or the new (slimmer) version? My fingers are pretty large (although I guess not too fat) but I don't have any problems with the keyboard while using this case, as long as the keyboard is opened fully. There really is no better case, at least if you want one that works with the Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Well, it's the latest case that AT&T covers, so I assume it's fairly new. It actually feels like the bottom part of the case (the part that encases the keyboard) is a little wobbly when the keyboard is extended. I like the idea of a skin, but wish there was still some kind of padding or case that I could use for the phone that would help better protect it. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thanks very much for your feedback. Unfortunately, I still find that GRT case crowds the keyboard too much. I'm certainly going to get a skin, but am still searching for added protection for my Pre. Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
    Otterbox Tandem Series is the best I've used and reviewed.

I absolutely love the design and my Palm Pre happened to fall 3 feet on concrete sidewalk and literally bounced 3 times before landing on it face without a scratch. I've done this by accident with other cases and those covers ended up popping off on landing not providing the same support I get from the Tandem Series which is super durable!

Speaking of the review, I sent a message and the review to Derek Kessler about the Otterbox Tandem Series, but he never got back with me and must not be interested. I'll find another place to post my review if you would like to check it out and we'll go from here.

Either way, let me know if you have any questions about the Otterbox Tandem.

Sorli...
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Looks like a nice case. Seems it doesn't work w/ the Touchstone charger, though... What a drag!