Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Got the holster/charger unit today. (vendor: http://myworld.ebay.com/sourcedepot/ ) I paid for it on the 18th and got it today. It is from Naztech, and the unit has a built in 2400mA battery to charge the phone while the holster carries it. Tha packaging was standard retail type packaging. The unit feels sturdy, and has a 'rubberized' type coating. The on/off button is on the front and when pushed, lights up the LED's to show the level of charge. The clip has 'detents' for locking in a specific position, and the clip itself feels very sturdy. I pulled on it and pushed on it (not super hard) but it appears it will withstand some bumps and lumps. Here are some pics:

It is charging right now, and I will provide further review when I use it.
    Last edited by jakelaw; 05/24/2010 at 08:50 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Instructions and features as outlined in the flier in the packaging:

To charge the energy cradle:
    -Use the provided cable and plug into any USB port. The LED's will flash indicating the percentage of charge. 4 solid LED's indicate unit is fully charged
    -The energy cradle will automatically stop charging when it's fully charged

Other features:
    -Press On/Off button once and LED's will indicate you batery level (for 5 seconds)
    -When phone is placed in Energy Cradle, unit automatically starts charging you phone.
    -The energy cradle will automatically stop charging when it's fully charged.
    -To manually turn the power On or Off, simply press & hold the On/Off button.
    -If your phone battery is completely drained it might take up to 10 min. for Naztech Energy to wake up your phone.

LED battery indicator
    -4 solid blue lights 100% charged
    -3 solid blue lights 75% charged
    -2 solid blue lights 50% charged
    -1 solid blue lights 25% charged
  3.    #3  
    Pics of phone mounted: (please excuse the quality of these pics, I took them with my old Centro )

For those that are interested, the unit w/out phone weighs 94 grams. The LED's are on all the time when the unit is charging your phone. The pic with the large time and lock icon, is when the screen is off and it is charging.
    Last edited by jakelaw; 05/24/2010 at 09:20 PM.
    This is awesome. Where did you get it?

Also, do you think the electronics on the battery cover could be retrofitted to the touchstone back without screwing up the touchstone back. What is on the inside of the battery cover?

After all the negative ratings for the resellers that were selling it, I'm excited to know that you got it delivered, and I really hope that your review indicates that its worth buying... I can't wait to hear more.
  5.    #5  
    Here is the vendor I used:
    eBay My World - sourcedepot
    I do not know how the TS back works, but here are pics of the back, inside and out:

The back fits very snugly, and I do not have any squeeking or creaking.
    Last edited by jakelaw; 05/24/2010 at 08:53 PM.
    I got mine today too. Seems very cool.

Pros:

Solidly built
    holds the phone securely
    seems to sit fine in horizontal or vertical position
    In fact, I find the release of the phone seems quicker in horizontal position
    Pretty light weight. Not sure if it's really any heavier than my Palm branded leather case
    WAYYYYY cheaper than a touchstone
    Pre STAYS COOL while charging, unlike with Touchstone or even USB connection

Cons:

Clip is not spring loaded, but of flexible, rubberized plastic. Found one review where buyer said his broke off.
    Does not protect from any bumps or impact if the holster is struck while on your belt OR if it falls off a desk or dresser while in holster. I keep my Pre in my leather case/holster when not on my belt, because it does protect.
    Along that same subject... screen faces outward, subject to impact
    Charges through two exposed metal connector disks on the back of the replacement battery cover, which come in contact with two electrodes inside the holster. Most likely not Touchstone compatible

Summary: For under $35 I have a touch charger that preserves my USB connection (already had one crack), charges cool and comes with me as a holster if I need extra power.

I'm not sure if I will carry it all the time, as I prefer the size and full coverage/protection of the Palm horizontal leather case/holder. But I will use it as a charger regularly, and I will probably carry it for a little while because it's really cool looking.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    would be good if it still worked with ts,,for me anyway. Like my leather case holster. Have a extra battery always charged plus have a solio solar charger. So I would have no use for this. Definitely not worth giving up my touch stone. Good luck with it .
  8.    #8  
    Pelican, I took a closer look at the clip, and underneath is a piece of spring steel that acts as the spring, so it is not just a plactic clip. Maybe it has been reinforced since the previous models. Tomorrow I will start my testing with both phone and hoster charged fully and see how long I can go without charging either. Hoping to get at least two days.
  9.    #9  
    I would also think some enterprising modder would be able to get this to work with a TS or maybe a TS back to work with this. That would be very slick. For me, I don't have a TS, so this is great. I am hoping it works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Pelican, I took a closer look at the clip, and underneath is a piece of spring steel that acts as the spring, so it is not just a plactic clip. Maybe it has been reinforced since the previous models. Tomorrow I will start my testing with both phone and hoster charged fully and see how long I can go without charging either. Hoping to get at least two days.
    I think I may have been unclear... the clip that holds the phone in place is just flexible plastic. The clip that holds the holster to your belt has metal underneath.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  11.    #11  
    ahhhh, yes, you are correct sir. I think looking at it, it would be pretty hard to break it though. Of course I am an optimist!
    ahhhh, yes, you are correct sir. I think looking at it, it would be pretty hard to break it though. Of course I am an optimist!
    Just going with the guy who said he broke his. I'm pretty gentle and precise with my motion so I don't expect an issue. One thing I have noticed is that my shirt gets caught in it as I put my phone back, so I have to be careful or I risk it coming free.

I will admit, I am also noticing how heavy this thing is, and how I have to be more careful about bumping into things than I had to be with my leather holster. Not sure if it will spend more time as a surrogate charger on my desk or dresser, or if it will spend more time on my belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Just going with the guy who said he broke his. I'm pretty gentle and precise with my motion so I don't expect an issue. One thing I have noticed is that my shirt gets caught in it as I put my phone back, so I have to be careful or I risk it coming free.

I will admit, I am also noticing how heavy this thing is, and how I have to be more careful about bumping into things than I had to be with my leather holster. Not sure if it will spend more time as a surrogate charger on my desk or dresser, or if it will spend more time on my belt.
    Three questions...

1) heavy? are you referring to the phone with the new back, or the weight of the holster that has a battery built in to it?

2) is there any indication that the battery in the holster can be removed/replaced? I'm sure it would cost more than the holster... but is it accessible?

3) Why does it catch on your shirt? Tuck your shirt in, sit up straight, and get a hair cut! (oh, sorry - I started to sound like my parents... )
    I would also think some enterprising modder would be able to get this to work with a TS or maybe a TS back to work with this. That would be very slick. For me, I don't have a TS, so this is great. I am hoping it works well.
    That would be nice. TS is just tooo convenient to give up for this. It would be sweet to have this as an option as well as the TS...
    question for Jakelaw...

The 4 LED's represent the 25 to 100% battery power. Have you noticed how quickly the first 25% (first LED) drops off? Even with the phone fully charged as well. I charged the thing with the phone in it overnight. I even plugged it in, in the car, and again at home. But, within less than 2 hours of taking it off the charger, and with limited phone usage, it dropped by one LED.

Is it just mine, or is yours doing that as well.

By the way... Forgot to mention another plus... It works off the same micro USB charger as the Pre.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 05/25/2010 at 02:10 PM.
    question for Jakelaw...

The 4 LED's represent the 25 to 100% battery power. Have you noticed how quickly the first 25% (first LED) drops off? Even with the phone fully charged as well. I charged the thing with the phone in it overnight. I even plugged it in, in the car, and again at home. But, within less than 2 hours of taking it off the charger, and with limited phone usage, it dropped by one LED.

By the way... Forgot to mention another plus... It works off the same micro USB charger as the Pre.

Thanks!
    I would guess that means it isn't fully charged... Did you leave it on the charger for more than 12 hours?

If it has 4 lights, it has to determine when it turns on between 75% and 100%. If it turns on/off at 75%, it will give a different sense of full or 3/4 based on that. If it turns off at 95%, then the first time any power is drawn from it would probably take it to 95% and turn of the light...
  17.    #17  
    question for Jakelaw...

Thanks!
    I only charged mine for about 10 hours before I took it off the charger this am at about 8. I did not use it for charging until the phone reached 30% battery left that was at 4pm. I put it on the charger/holster at that point (an hour ago) it is up to 62% in an hour and all four LED's are still lit on the holster.
    Two things I noticed today:
    1. The clip at the top has a sharp edge and it is sharp enough to catch on the lip between the two halves of the phone if you don't push the phone fully into it.
    2. every time you put the phone into the hoster the charger wants to kick on automatically so you have to manualy turn it off. I would prefer the oposite.

So far I am pleased withthe unit. It did not catch on my shirt. I can also tell it is heavier, but not so much that is is anoying or would cause me to not use it. To cantafordit, it does not appear the battery is accesable or removable in anyway. There is a panel on the back that looks like it could be removed for access, so again, an enterprising modder may be able to do something with it. As I typed this, the charge on teh phone is up to 66% and the first light on the charger/holster justy went out. so that means it took 25% of the holster battery to charge 35+% of the phone. My test goes on to see how long I can go without charging either unit. With this kind of battery (in the holster) I think they get better with a few charge/discharge cycles.
  18.    #18  
    I think there is enough play in the fit, that it will hold a phone with a 'skin' on it like ghost armor or whatever which would be nice since it does face out with the screen.
  19.    #19  
    Update:
    battery to 100% now, and LED's on hoolster still showing 3 lights!
    Thanks for everyone's input. I'm still not sure mine is holding a charge the way it should, though I admit I didn't charge it for 12 hours straight. I hope that it will just improve with time.

Speaking of which, I noticed Jakelaw, that you spoke of not turning on the charger until you were down to about 30% (which I actually rarely hit until around between 8 and 11pm at night). Are you going to do this for a while and then, maybe try running through the day with both the charger and the phone on all the time? This is what I did today and held between 80 and 100% on the phone and was down to about 50% on the charger by around 9pm.

I'm actually torn. I like the idea of saving the power, but I think of the charger as a means of keeping my phone charged all the time, rather than a source for power when my battery drains too low. I am generally near a car charger or a wall outlet for that.

Anyone answer the "can you use a Touchstone back with it (or this back with a Touchstone) questions yet?

And, how do I get the clock screen saver to turn off on my phone when the charging holster is on? It seems counter-intuitive to be charging a phone with a holster charger, and have the phone draining power running a glowing clock on the screen.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 05/25/2010 at 10:57 PM.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast