Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    i think that the circuit board is there to shut off the holster when the phone gets to 100 percent charged (if it is indeed a circuit board and not just a set of contacts -- my back cover was screwed so it made the decision easy for me -- i can tell you this the piece that comes out of the naztech back is very durable -- i am horrible with a solder gun and it took me numerous tries to get it right -- before i attemted to add the TS components to the backpiece i had just modified the palm back to hold the naztech parts because as i said the naztech back was ruined --- it worked well just the naztech contacts installed ---
    i think i will call them tomorrow and see what they say on the phone compared to via e-mail -- i felt like i was talking with a "simple person" (****** gets astrisized) as i conversed with them that way -- they kept telling me they would not ship me a replacement back for free and i kept saying i wanted to buy one -- whatever

i am loving my phone right now -- i put the phone on the TS at night to charge it full in the morning i take it off and put it on the TS in the car -- when i get to work i put it in the holster and it tops off what ever small amount of battery i have used and then shuts off -- i can use the phone constantly all day and 10 - 12 hours later when i get in the car i rarely am less then 50 percent on the battery..

just makes me feel cool that i was able to do it -- i have a co-worker who is waiting for his holster and when he gets it he i am going to help him do the mod... hope it all comes together for you

.... i just thought of something you could use a couple of jumper wires to test if your contact idea would work -- if you can get the phone to charge from the holster using only the leads then the board is not neccessary -- i would assume that this would not damage your phone but am not 100% sure
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I sent this guy a message telling him the issues and also requesting a back cover that incorporates both Naztech and Touchstone together as an accessory to be sold.

I'm going to see if I can get another cover from him.

I will be calling him sometime this week.

Hopefully, if you call, he will be receptive to your phone call. I never told him I was giving his phone number out. If he is ****ed about that he might not help me, if you get to him before I do.

I'm not going to ask that you wait until I call first. I might forget tomorrow doing other stuff. Maybe you can ask for 2? One for me and one for you? LOL!

We should not have that hard a time getting replacements for a clearly defect designed back cover.

Oh man, I'm just going to post you the email I sent to him so you will know what I said.

Here it is:

Hi Richard,

I guess I missed your email message that I must have gotten at the beginning of the week and just now noticed.

I will try and call you this coming week in regards to obtaining a replacement back cover for the Naztech Energy Cell. I have no problem if I need to be charged for the replacement, as I was told there might be a charge from a fellow user.

Apparently, there is a fitness issue with Naztech covers, they are just too tight and when you attempt to take the cover off from the Palm Pre, the back cover cracks. The middle tabs are just too long and need to be filed down and the length of the cover is a just a hair to short. So almost all the people that I know that have gotten this GREAT unit, are having issues with the back covers.

I just want to make it clear, that this is a GREAT add-on device for the Palm Pre (considering it's battery issues, it solves those issues).

I also want to make a plea that Naztech offer a back cover that incorporates the Touchstone back cover into your back cover.

We want to be able to take out Pre's off of the Naztech holster and place it on our Touchstone while for example at home, where we will be using our Pre for typing messages. Bear in mind that the current design of the Naztech Energy Cell prevents users from being able to keep the Pre in the holster and use the slide out keyboard at the same time.

So for me, at home, I want to charge my Pre with my touchstone as it is next to my bed and is used as my alarm clock.

I'm just giving you a few reason for wanting the Naztech to offer a back cover that has both the Touchstone parts and the Naztech parts so we can do both!

And I might point out, that some geek has managed to modify a Touchstone cover to have your Naztech contacts on the same cover. It's pretty cool and is working fine as my last conversation with this person. If you'd like, I can point you to the website where he posted pictures and instructions on how to make this modification. Of course, in doing so, he ruined the original Naztech back cover, but it had cracked so it was unusable at the time. He had trouble getting a replacement cover and restored to this modification. It should not be that difficult for us to get a replacement back cover. (Considering, it has a design flaw in the fit, that causes it to get broken no matter how careful you are taking it off).

I'm repeating myself, I'm sorry. I wanted to rely both request to you in that story.

Again, I will try and give you a voice call sometime this week and hopefully that will resolve my current issue.

Thank you for responding to my request for support!

Rob

Ok that's it for tonight, no wait, I'm taking pictures of each step and since you did not have pictures of the original back cover insides, here are a few I just took with my Pre, if they did not come out good, I will retake them with my regular camera (Canon XT Rebel).

See attached pictures.

Rob

UPDATE: I just added a 4th picture! I can't believe what just happened. I pushed on the contact points a little and the entire thing popped out.

In the picture you can see the rectangular part. And it's definately not a cirucuit board, just a way to get the contacts to the proper place, you can see it clearly if you look real close. Maybe I can just use this part instead of doing my copper thing. Or my copper thing might be easier that I thought. This is great!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 06/13/2010 at 08:49 PM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I sent this guy a message telling him the issues and also requesting a back cover that incorporates both Naztech and Touchstone together as an accessory to be sold.

I'm going to see if I can get another cover from him.

I will be calling him sometime this week.

Hopefully, if you call, he will be receptive to your phone call. I never told him I was giving his phone number out. If he is ****ed about that he might not help me, if you get to him before I do.

I'm not going to ask that you wait until I call first. I might forget tomorrow doing other stuff. Maybe you can ask for 2? One for me and one for you? LOL!

We should not have that hard a time getting replacements for a clearly defect designed back cover.

Oh man, I'm just going to post you the email I sent to him so you will know what I said.

Here it is:

Hi Richard,

I guess I missed your email message that I must have gotten at the beginning of the week and just now noticed.

I will try and call you this coming week in regards to obtaining a replacement back cover for the Naztech Energy Cell. I have no problem if I need to be charged for the replacement, as I was told there might be a charge from a fellow user.

Apparently, there is a fitness issue with Naztech covers, they are just too tight and when you attempt to take the cover off from the Palm Pre, the back cover cracks. The middle tabs are just too long and need to be filed down and the length of the cover is a just a hair to short. So almost all the people that I know that have gotten this GREAT unit, are having issues with the back covers.

I just want to make it clear, that this is a GREAT add-on device for the Palm Pre (considering it's battery issues, it solves those issues).

I also want to make a plea that Naztech offer a back cover that incorporates the Touchstone back cover into your back cover.

We want to be able to take out Pre's off of the Naztech holster and place it on our Touchstone while for example at home, where we will be using our Pre for typing messages. Bear in mind that the current design of the Naztech Energy Cell prevents users from being able to keep the Pre in the holster and use the slide out keyboard at the same time.

So for me, at home, I want to charge my Pre with my touchstone as it is next to my bed and is used as my alarm clock.

I'm just giving you a few reason for wanting the Naztech to offer a back cover that has both the Touchstone parts and the Naztech parts so we can do both!

And I might point out, that some geek has managed to modify a Touchstone cover to have your Naztech contacts on the same cover. It's pretty cool and is working fine as my last conversation with this person. If you'd like, I can point you to the website where he posted pictures and instructions on how to make this modification. Of course, in doing so, he ruined the original Naztech back cover, but it had cracked so it was unusable at the time. He had trouble getting a replacement cover and restored to this modification. It should not be that difficult for us to get a replacement back cover. (Considering, it has a design flaw in the fit, that causes it to get broken no matter how careful you are taking it off).

I'm repeating myself, I'm sorry. I wanted to rely both request to you in that story.

Again, I will try and give you a voice call sometime this week and hopefully that will resolve my current issue.

Thank you for responding to my request for support!

Rob

Ok that's it for tonight, no wait, I'm taking pictures of each step and since you did not have pictures of the original back cover insides, here are a few I just took with my Pre, if they did not come out good, I will retake them with my regular camera (Canon XT Rebel).

See attached pictures.

Rob
    i recieved the same original email that you did and accidentally deleted it so i doubt that he will assume that you have given it out -- i am usually too busy during the day to make that call so i went the e-mail route and the coversation really frustrated me -- good luck we will see where this leads
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i recieved the same original email that you did and accidentally deleted it so i doubt that he will assume that you have given it out -- i am usually too busy during the day to make that call so i went the e-mail route and the coversation really frustrated me -- good luck we will see where this leads
    Re-read the bottom of my previous message! I also added one more picture.

What I found is great news for me and you too!

It will make it easier to do modifications from now on!

It's not a circuit board!

Rob

I now have to find a piece of copper or an old circuit board that I can get a good size of that gold plated stuff. Any ideas. I guess I should use something that others can get too so this mod can get very easy for others to perform.

UPDATE: Just did some reading on conductive materials and 'silver' is best, but 'copper' comes in second and mostly used. Gold plated is used because it does not corrode.

I found an old pair of RCA audio cables that were plated in GOLD. Remember those!

So the tip of the RCA cable the part that you plug in and wraps around the outer edge of the tip, I am going to try and cut a part of it off. I was thinking on how to cut it out so I would end up with a circular piece to fit that opening of the back of the cover like the original Naztech cover had. But in reality, it really doesn't need to be a circular piece of metal, it can be square as long as they are place correctly.
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 06/13/2010 at 09:56 PM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

5.    #65  
    Very cool mods guys!! If I had a touchstone I may try this too (and with as cheap as touchstones are at radio shack I may). I just ordered an extra OEM battery cover from a vendor on Ebay and will be trying to mod the inards from my Naztech back into the OEM one. On another note, is there an afordable place to get TS compatible backs? All of the radio shacks here have the TS, but no back so it puts me getting a back at the Sprint store for $20. Of course the TS is only $15 so.........
    Re-read the bottom of my previous message! I also added one more picture.

What I found is great news for me and you too!

It will make it easier to do modifications from now on!

It's not a circuit board!

Rob

I now have to find a piece of copper or an old circuit board that I can get a good size of that gold plated stuff. Any ideas. I guess I should use something that others can get too so this mod can get very easy for others to perform.

UPDATE: Just did some reading on conductive materials and 'silver' is best, but 'copper' comes in second and mostly used. Gold plated is used because it does not corrode.

I found an old pair of RCA audio cables that were plated in GOLD. Remember those!

So the tip of the RCA cable the part that you plug in and wraps around the outer edge of the tip, I am going to try and cut a part of it off. I was thinking on how to cut it out so I would end up with a circular piece to fit that opening of the back of the cover like the original Naztech cover had. But in reality, it really doesn't need to be a circular piece of metal, it can be square as long as they are place correctly.
    that piece is the piece that i mounted into the back of the TS intact -- made it pretty easy for me then i just stacked the ts board on top of it and "waterfalled" solder down to connect the two into one contact point
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Ok just came back from Michael's and Radio Shack.

From Michaes I got some Gold andCopper Leaf. Not sure how that was going to work, but I'm try to think outside the box.

At Radio Shack, I had the best success, after almost giving on what they had, I found these Fuse Taps.

They are perfect.

I'm doing laundry right now, but I'm going to take new pictures this time using the Canon XT and I'm going to try my makeshift macro lense.

I doubt I'll start this project today, but I'm going very slow as suggested so it comes out right and I can document what parts I'm using and how I'm doing it.

Not much different than mespiff!

Rob
    Hi all,

I am back to post some new better pictures and to show you all what I purchased at Radio Shack to help me perform the mod without having to destroy the original Naztech back cover.

Here they are:

Rob

UPDATE: I've added a few more pictures as I move another step closer to finishing. 6/15/10
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 06/15/2010 at 10:12 AM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post

And, how do I get the clock screen saver to turn off on my phone when the charging holster is on? It seems counter-intuitive to be charging a phone with a holster charger, and have the phone draining power running a glowing clock on the screen.

Thanks again!
    download and install "brightness unlinked" patch/app from homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    download and install "brightness unlinked" patch/app from homebrew
    I also believe you can switch off the Naztech charger.

Press the button and it turns off.

Not sure if this solves your problem.

You might try the new Mode App and accompanying patch.

Right now, I'm trying to make the modification to the Touchstone case to so it can do both, the Naztech and when we take it out of the Naztech we can simply put it on our Touchstones.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

11.    #71  
    You guys rock!!!
    I can't believe what happened!

I had laid out the parts to take those picture and now I seem to have lost the circuit board with the contacts for the Naztech charge.

It's somewhere in the house, and hopefully did not vacuum it up while cleaning.

So now I have a Naztech charger that cannot be used at all. I do need a new back cover.

And I have not yet had the time to go the next step in the modification process. I was not going to use that circuit board in my modification, so I would end up with a usable Naztech backcover along with a new custom back cover.

I hope I can find it.

Hey, Mespiff, did you manager to call that guy and see if you can get a replacement yet?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

you know the back cover mods i made have been working perfectly and i have been very busy at work so i have not had time to call -- sorry to hear about your loss -- hope it shows up

good luck
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    I found it!

I also place a call to that guy who then transferred me to someone else who was out to lunch. Am going to try again today.

I started on the mod, I made my first two holes or in my case a slot.

I'll post a picture of this next step.

Rob

PS In the end, I should not need anything from the original Naztech cover, so I will end up with a usable original (even if it's cracked) Naztech cover. LOL!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

OK guys I finally finished my mod!

I think it came out OK, I won't say great because it doesn't look perfectly polished.

I tested the Touchstone part but I have yet to try it with the Naztech Energy Bar, just a little scared to do it just yet. LOL!

But here are pictures of my whole process!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Sorry the system did not allow me to upload all of them, only a few more.

And the parts I used are shown in a previous message that I posted pictures of.

As I said, I still have the original Naztech backcover after this mod. Which is the good part about the way I performed it.

And I called that guy 'Richard' and emailed him my receipt and he said he would mail me a replacement back Naztech back cover.

Hope this helps some others.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Oh man, I might have a problem. I just tried to test it out with the Naztech attached and it doesn't look like it's picking up that its in the holster.

I have to retest this out in the morning, I have the battery at 100% right now, so it's a bit harder to know what's going on.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Anyone knows where could I get one of this? The ebay seller mentioned on the first page does not ship to Spain. Has anyone bought it somewhere else? Any reccomendations?
    Sorry the system did not allow me to upload all of them, only a few more.

And the parts I used are shown in a previous message that I posted pictures of.

As I said, I still have the original Naztech backcover after this mod. Which is the good part about the way I performed it.

And I called that guy 'Richard' and emailed him my receipt and he said he would mail me a replacement back Naztech back cover.

Hope this helps some others.

Rob
    hope it all works out for you - you could use some 3m - dinoc to give it a little more finished look -- not that you need it but i am just sayin
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    hope it all works out for you - you could use some 3m - dinoc to give it a little more finished look -- not that you need it but i am just sayin
    I got it to work, I had to use a little 'steel wool' to clean up the contact points as I had gotten glue coated all over them.

It works fine now!

Mmmm.. wha tis dinoc.. have to see what that is.

I put some black electric tape to make the contacts point less visible because of how I did the mod, they are long rectangular strips of metal, as you can see from my pictures.

That was don't so I did not have to lift out the Touchstone parts at all, they were never disturbed.

If this dinoc stuff is what I'm looking for, maybe just a coat of black model paint?

At least we both are able to get this mod done and proved it can work.

So now, it's up to the Naztech company to just make a Touchstone capable cover for future purchasers. Which is what I suggested or requested to that guy Richard in my emai.

And let's see if I do get my replacement Naztech cover, which I don't need it now 'really', because I will be using my custom cover.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast