Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Yeah - mentioned in my review upthread that the holster doesn't seem to cut off charging till a prolonged period of the Pre stating 100%.
    there is a patch called " show actual battery percent. if you use this in tandom with the Battery as a percent patch you will see the real battery percent. - the ui shows anything from 95% up as 100% because the way that the Li-ion batteries charge when they get up to 100 the charger starts trickle charging and cycleing up and down from 95 to 100%. I guess they did this with the ui to keep people from wondering why their phone shows 100 then less then 100 when on a charger. if you have the actual showing you will notice that it does shut off a min or 5 after hitting 100 percent.

As to a review if the holster charger itself i would be much happier if the back cover could be used with both the holster and the TS charger. I am changing the cover when i get to work because i have a TS in the car and by the bed.
    The back cover is a little tight and very difficult to take off -- this makes changing batteries or swapping a little difficult ( i will try shaving the tabs to see if this helps ) -- also since the back cover is tight it pulls at the top corner of the phone and stresses the slider causing a 1/8" gap in the slider.

other than this i think the holster is a pretty good power solution
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  2.    #42  
    I am not sure what was going on then with my over heating. I have the 'actual percent' patch and it showed 100%. The only thing I can think of that would have caused the heat was overcharging because the phone was idle with no open programs. I will have to test some more. I really like this solution for my needs, I can see if I used a TS it being tedious and hopefully those working on a solution for this will get to it soon for you guys. So far, I am very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    I am not sure what was going on then with my over heating. I have the 'actual percent' patch and it showed 100%. The only thing I can think of that would have caused the heat was overcharging because the phone was idle with no open programs. I will have to test some more. I really like this solution for my needs, I can see if I used a TS it being tedious and hopefully those working on a solution for this will get to it soon for you guys. So far, I am very happy.
    mine did get a little hot today -- i have mode switcher and during the day i had the phone set to bring up trapster if i set the phone on the Touchstone. for when i am driving -- i put the phone in the holster and without thinking started hiking -- well the phone was searching for a good data source -- none available and the GPS was running -- as well as charging the battery -- this caused some heat .. this is true on the TS as well this is why i have had to mount the TS on the vent in the car
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I got my Naztech for the Pre today!

Was totally happy until I realized you have to use their custom back cover and could not continue to use the Pre's backcover for the Touchstone?

Bummer, that means, I have to constantly switch covers if I wish to use the Touchstone.

Their website (althought graphically cute) is limited in information.

I'm just charging up the unit now, so I will reserve anymore comments until I actually use it.

It does feel solid!

Rob

UPDATE: Just realized that you cannot use the keyboard while in the holster. I have a car mount that allows you to use the keyboard while in it's mount. So it is technically possible to build a holster that allows the usage of the keyboard.

I guess, I wasn't sure of all the 'CONS' before I purchased this, but wanted the battery life more than anything.

UPDATE2: I'm wondering if there is way to modify a regular Touchstone back cover so it can be used with the Naztech charger as well. There will be some cutting involved I figure. I'm going to see if I can purchase (cheap) a spare Touchstone cover that I could play with.
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 06/01/2010 at 09:45 PM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post

And, how do I get the clock screen saver to turn off on my phone when the charging holster is on? It seems counter-intuitive to be charging a phone with a holster charger, and have the phone draining power running a glowing clock on the screen.

Thanks again!
    I use the Brightness Unlinked app and turn it off, it works great. Try it
  6.    #46  
    Still loving this little unit. I does heat up my Pre sometmes, but it has become my only carry option other than my pocket.
    naztech customer service sucks -- I broke the tabs off of the back cover taking it on and off to swap with a touchstone cover --- the plastic is not a robust as the stuff palm uses. I wrote naztech to ask if i could purchase a new back cover and after many emails back and forth in which the told me repeatedly they could not replace it for free and me asking to purchase one they finally just told me that they do not have a cover available to sell.....

i found a cheap TS cover here and was able to pull out the TS components and put the charging leads from the naztech into the back cover . (had 1 little super glue mishap that had to be covered up with some di-noc carbon fiber vinyl but now it looks good)

Tomorrow if i have time i am going to try to re-install the TS compnents on top of the naztech ones. it looks like a small bead of solder between the two copper leads should allow for either option to be utilized just not sure if there is enough space ...
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    naztech customer service sucks -- I broke the tabs off of the back cover taking it on and off to swap with a touchstone cover --- the plastic is not a robust as the stuff palm uses. I wrote naztech to ask if i could purchase a new back cover and after many emails back and forth in which the told me repeatedly they could not replace it for free and me asking to purchase one they finally just told me that they do not have a cover available to sell.....

i found a cheap TS cover here and was able to pull out the TS components and put the charging leads from the naztech into the back cover . (had 1 little super glue mishap that had to be covered up with some di-noc carbon fiber vinyl but now it looks good)

Tomorrow if i have time i am going to try to re-install the TS compnents on top of the naztech ones. it looks like a small bead of solder between the two copper leads should allow for either option to be utilized just not sure if there is enough space ...
    I emailed them as well, I cracked the cover taking it off.

They definitely have a quality problem with the fit.

They never responded to my emails, so I guess we should put in a bad review to get their attention.

But I really want to know if you succeed in the Touchstone cover modification.

I had a feeling it could be done, and if you get it to work, can you document it and show us how to do it ourselves.

I want to do this myself, and then I guess I would be happier with the device.

Thanks!

Rob

PS Good Luck!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I emailed them as well, I cracked the cover taking it off.

They definitely have a quality problem with the fit.

They never responded to my emails, so I guess we should put in a bad review to get their attention.

But I really want to know if you succeed in the Touchstone cover modification.

I had a feeling it could be done, and if you get it to work, can you document it and show us how to do it ourselves.

I want to do this myself, and then I guess I would be happier with the device.

Thanks!

Rob

PS Good Luck!
    well -- yes success
    it does work -- i took the stickers off carefully and removed the TS guts
    then i used the naztec cover as a template and drilled the 2 holes you have to do a little grinding to get this piece to fit down right
    then i reinstalled the TS components on top of the naztech board.
    the contacts on the naztech are larger then the palm ones so i ran a bead of solder from the palm contacts to the naztech ones
    the cover works in the holster and on the touchstone
    there is only one problem --- the back cover bulges a little so it will rock on the touchstone

I have a TS mounted in the car and i am hoping that this cover will hold when i am driving -- will check tomorrow
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
  10.    #50  
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    well -- yes success
    it does work -- i took the stickers off carefully and removed the TS guts
    then i used the naztec cover as a template and drilled the 2 holes you have to do a little grinding to get this piece to fit down right
    then i reinstalled the TS components on top of the naztech board.
    the contacts on the naztech are larger then the palm ones so i ran a bead of solder from the palm contacts to the naztech ones
    the cover works in the holster and on the touchstone
    there is only one problem --- the back cover bulges a little so it will rock on the touchstone

I have a TS mounted in the car and i am hoping that this cover will hold when i am driving -- will check tomorrow
    OK, this is great, I guess I'm going to have to order an extra Touchstone back before I attempt this.

So let me ask this, which back plate are you making the modifications on, the extra TS or the original Naztech back?

Also, can you take one or two pictures?

Let me order the TS plate (where did you order your extra one from?) and then I will probably have a few more questions.

Thanks!

Rob

PS I think a dremel will help in making those holes perfect.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Glad I came back to this thread - I haven't taken the Naztech back off since I got it, and now I won't! I miss the TS capability, but really the Naztech holster is the only way I can get a full day's use out of my Pre, so it's worth it to me.
    Damm, I forgot to take a ride to Radio Shack today, I wanted to see if there was any Touchstone backs left on the shelf.

It seems a new one is going to cost about $20 plus about $5 for shipping.

Some guys here are selling there stuff because they are jumping ship, but seems I'm not fast enough to get the Touchstone back.

So any of you know where to get a Touchstone back real cheap let me know please!

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

14.    #54  
    I need a spare standard back. Anyone know where I can get one? I noticed today one of the tabs on my Naztech back broke off (it still fits and works fine) but I am going to mod a OEM back to put in the innards from the Naztech back.
    Well works fine in the car -- i have attached some pics -- i am not the best with a soldering iron so when you stop laughing you will see the finished product -- works great on the TS or the holster --
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    OK, this is great, I guess I'm going to have to order an extra Touchstone back before I attempt this.

So let me ask this, which back plate are you making the modifications on, the extra TS or the original Naztech back?

Also, can you take one or two pictures?

Let me order the TS plate (where did you order your extra one from?) and then I will probably have a few more questions.

Thanks!

Rob

PS I think a dremel will help in making those holes perfect.
    there was an offer here from someone who had purcased sale TS kits at radio shack and i gave 8 bucks for the back. got lucky -- the palm back is as you know a better quality plastic then the naztech one -- and it is allready set up for the TS hardware -- all and all it goes together pretty easy

i recomend that you move slowly and here is a more detailed step by step
    i disassembled the naztech back -you end up with a small board that has the conatcs on it --disassemble the TS back -- pay attention you have to put it back together -- if you are brave enough you might just try to peel up the bottom part of the TS stuff -- i took it all out --
    use the old back as a template to position the location of the 2 new holes-- drill them i forget the drill size maybe 3/16 i can check tomorrow at work

you have to shave a little plastic to get the borad to lay flat in the cover. once you get it tack it in place with some good black electrical tape (3m super 33) then try it on your phone in the holster to make sure everything lines up -- you may have to adjust the position a few times. when it is good leave everything just like that and put the TS stuff back in -- tacke this board down on top of the other one with tape and try it on the TS until you get it located properly -- this should be directly over the other board with 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch of the naztech board hanging out -- then the hard part (for me) tie the two boards together with 2 small beads of solder -- if they are too thick you will get a bulging back -- i had to do this a few times -- mine works on both the chargers -- i will report in a week if there are in issues

thanks
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Ok got lucky today!

Found a Radio Shack that had a few Touchstone Charging kits for $20.

I got 2 kits.

So now I have two Touchstone covers to play with to do this modification and I end up with 2 Touchstones to place around the house. So I feel pretty good now!

Now lets see if I can pull off this modication!

Rob
    I'm on the road now but was reading your great instructions.

I am confused, in my mind all I needed to do was get a small amount of a copper sheet and cut it into the same size as the Naztech back's contacts.

This way I don't mess with the original Naztech cover, since it seems nobody can get replacement covers.

Anyway, I was going to place copper contacts in the same position and drill a hole to solder a thin wire to the contacts on the inside of the TS cover.

I did not realize that there is a circuit board on the inside of the Naztech cover.

Why is there a need for a circuit board?

Do you know what that circuit board is doing electrically.

Wouldn't my way work just as well?

Rob

UPDATE: Thinking about the circuit board, it's probably controlling the charger so it won't overcharge the Pre's battery. That's just a thought!

I am concerned about doing this mod because if I screw it up, I loose the Naztech cover. And since we can't get replacements from the company at this time, its a hard decision to make. But I will probably do it anyway! LOL!

UPDATE 2: I found an easy way to line up the hole or contact pads on the back. I place some 'white out' on the Naztech contact points themselves, then place the TS cover on the Pre and put it in the Holster. When I took the Pre out of the Holster, it left a mark where the contact point had hit the back of the TS cover. So now I know the exact position to make the holes.

I'm still curious if there is a real circuit board inside, it look like it just might be a way to get the copper around the inside to the correct position to hit the battery contacts where it has to hit to charge the phone. Which of course, is the same position as the TS contact points that hit the battery.
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 06/13/2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Interesting!

If you go to Naztech Technologies and hit on 'contact' it is giving me a accessibility error page.

I wonder if they had too many people emailing them to complain.

They certainly don't have a phone for contact!

So now how do we contact them for a replacement back cover.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Hi all,

I just received this email from Naztech support, I think. It was in my Inbox for a few days, I guess I missed it!

Here is what it said:

Hi Robert,

Pls. call us any time to discuss your problem with the Energy Holster.

Richard S. Villar
    Hypercel Corporation
    28010 Industry Drive, Valencia, CA 91355
    Office 661-310-1000 ext 128 Fax No. 661-554-0167
    Cell Phone Accessories and more - Hypercel / rvillar@hypercel.com

Distribution solutions for an ever changing wireless world!

Hope this can help others!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast