Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I don't know. I assumed this was a feature when it is on the TS. maybe there is a patch for that.....
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    How do I get the clock to turn off on my phone when the charging holster is on?

Thanks!
    That's on because it's emulating a Touchstone in how it provides power to the Pre. The Pre thinks it's on a Touchstone, so displays the time. I think that's an age old problem that people have wanted to get rid of the night light.
    1) Steve is going to get one and see if he can use his TS skills to retrofit TS to this... He will be a millionaire if he can figure that out!

2) Can someone try connecting an almost-empty Pre (never run a battery to completely empty) in the holster over night to see what amount of charge 8-10 of uninterrupted holster time can produce?

3) Can anyone tell me what the power output is from this thing? Apparently the Pre requires a minimum of 1000ma to fully charge. Is this thing able to put out that much? Not as important as for an external charger, because this is more designed to "refresh" a battery, but it is still important to set expectations. People will whine/cry about declining battery life and not realize that they aren't starting with a fully charged battery. BTW, that's why Palm was crazy to not have the charge indicator as a %... 5 bars inside a battery aren't accurate enough - just like 4 LEDs on this holster aren't as accurate.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/27/2010 at 09:15 AM.
    Received mine yesterday, charged it overnight (about 8 hours), and have these impressions thus far:

Hardware
    • It's bigger than it looks in the photos. Whoever did the press kit for this thing knew what he/she was doing. Don't expect it to be small.
    • As with most larger holsters, wearing it with the Pre tilted sideways tends to make the phone stick out from your body quite a bit. I usually don't like vertical wearing, but with this one I prefer it.
    • The soft touch feels nice, but it seems to scuff easily - there are marks on the casing from its retail packaging that won't come off. (I don't care, personally, but I wouldn't recommend this to a person OCD about appearance.)
    • The top latch is quite stiff. Getting the phone out of its holster with one hand takes some practice (as with most new holsters).
    • All of the Pre's physical buttons are accessible when it's in the holster.
    • The speakerphone is NOT noticeably muffled when in the holster.

Behavior
    • As has been mentioned, the holster automatically starts charging once you put the Pre into it. You can override this with a long-press on the holster's button, but it's cumbersome to have to do that every time. This product is probably better viewed as a holster to keep your phone at 100%, rather than as one to use only when you're running low.
    • The LEDs on the holster, and the backlight on the Pre, stay on continuously when the Pre is charging in the holster.
    • The holster turns off its charging when it detects the phone has reached 100% - but it seems to take a long time to actually detect this. My Pre was at 100% charge for almost a half hour before the charger actually turned off. The charger does not seem to re-activate once the Pre drains; to start charging again, the button must be pushed, or the Pre needs to be removed & replaced.

Performance

It's only been a day (not even a full one), so please take this for what it is - a very early review.

I started the day at 6:30am with a fully-charged Pre, and put it into the holster. Throughout the day I removed/replaced it about 30 times, and I manually stopped charging once or twice.

I used the phone for 4 phone calls lasting less than a minute each, about 10 text messages, a few minutes each of Sprint Navigation, Google Maps, Tweed, Email, and Facebook. I also streamed about a half-hour's worth of a podcast via Stitcher (over EvDO). Bluetooth and WiFi were both off, and I was in EvDO coverage for most of the day.

Currently (2:30pm), after the holster stopped auto-charging a half hour ago, I'm in an area with poor signal. WiFi is on. The Pre is at 90% power, and the holster shows 2 out of 4 LEDs. Not too bad, IMO, considering that without the holster, I would already be somewhere below 30% of power.

Wrap up

Because removing the phone from the holster isn't the smoothest experience (especially with headphones plugged in), I've been using it without removing it as much as possible. The virtual keyboard patch has been wonderful for this. YMMV.

Overall, it's a product that gets us as close to the iPhone's Mophie Juice Pack as possible. It's more elegant than my other portable-charging solution (the cumbersome Energizer Energi-To-Go) because it doesn't need clumsy cables.

If this holster continues to perform as well as it did today, I'd recommend this to someone who needs more battery life out of his/her Pre, and who doesn't mind the added bulk (which is considerable). There's no way to know how quickly performance will degrade over time; hopefully NazTech didn't cheap out on its battery supplier! And, really, the price (I got it for around $30 on eBay) can't be beat.

Thanks to everyone from the other thread whose posts helped point me to this product!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input. I'm still not sure mine is holding a charge the way it should, though I admit I didn't charge it for 12 hours straight. I hope that it will just improve with time.

Speaking of which, I noticed Jakelaw, that you spoke of not turning on the charger until you were down to about 30% (which I actually rarely hit until around between 8 and 11pm at night). Are you going to do this for a while and then, maybe try running through the day with both the charger and the phone on all the time? This is what I did today and held between 80 and 100% on the phone and was down to about 50% on the charger by around 9pm.

I'm actually torn. I like the idea of saving the power, but I think of the charger as a means of keeping my phone charged all the time, rather than a source for power when my battery drains too low. I am generally near a car charger or a wall outlet for that.

Anyone answer the "can you use a Touchstone back with it (or this back with a Touchstone) questions yet?

And, how do I get the clock screen saver to turn off on my phone when the charging holster is on? It seems counter-intuitive to be charging a phone with a holster charger, and have the phone draining power running a glowing clock on the screen.

Thanks again!
    I did the 30% thing on purpose as part of my test, and it worked great. I agree with you and VCI as far as the purpose of this. I will probably leave the back on and put my click on case back on, and when I know I am going to be away from a charging source for the day, take off the case and take this hoster with. If this back worked with a TS, I may be conviced to get one, but up until now, I have not seen a need for me to use a TS . I have used the VKB more in the last two days than ever because like VCI it is easier to leave it in the holster. my testing tomorrow will be leaving it in the hoster like VCI today to charge all the time and see how it goes. I am going to be in meetings all day and not have a charge source handy so this should be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    1) Steve is going to get one and see if he can use his TS skills to retrofit TS to this... He will be a millionaire if he can figure that out!

2) Can someone try connecting an almost-empty Pre (never run a battery to completely empty) in the holster over night to see what amount of charge 8-10 of uninterrupted holster time can produce?

3) Can anyone tell me what the power output is from this thing? Apparently the Pre requires a minimum of 1000ma to fully charge. Is this thing able to put out that much? Not as important as for an external charger, because this is more designed to "refresh" a battery, but it is still important to set expectations. People will whine/cry about declining battery life and not realize that they aren't starting with a fully charged battery. BTW, that's why Palm was crazy to not have the charge indicator as a %... 5 bars inside a battery aren't accurate enough - just like 4 LEDs on this holster aren't as accurate.

Thanks!
    i will be in line very quickly to purchase a battery cover that works for this and the TS

just sayin ............
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Just a quick FYI, the touchstone back would be very bad for a portable batter. The touchstone is VERY INEFFICIENT! Using electricity to power a magnet to pass electricity through plastic is hard. It takes a lot more juice. That's why the touch stone doesn't work when plugged into a computer USB port or most USB wall chargers. If you used the battery via touchstone technology you would get like 1/4 of the battery life from it.
    the point isn't to use touchstone as a portable, the point is to put the guts of both in a single back to you could go directly from the holster to the desk...

I doubt there is room for all that, but at least I can dream...
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I doubt there is room for all that, but at least I can dream...
    I see what your saying. Hadn't considered a combo but I think it would be fairly easy for a proper manufacturer. Just have to extend the internal leads below or aboce the TS innards, then have the little pass through bits like whats on the back that came with this charger lower/higher on the back.

Mind you that would require a whole different charger but it would have been nice if they made it that way in the first place.
    I just got mine (hadn't checked the mail in a few days, lol). I like it but I also like my touchstone. I'm a bit torn. If the back get 'fixed' to use with both I will be a very happy girl. I need this for work, can't charge my phone there. I'll probably be switching back and forth since I use the touchstone in the car and at home but I love being able to use this at work as a back up. I really hope the back can be altered to work with both *fingers crossed*. I'm installing the VK now.
    Also, my screen does NOT light up because I use the Brightness Unlinked app and turn it off. There is an aption to in the app for that, it works great.
  11.    #31  
    Ok, I used it today just as the holster charging every time I put it in. As part of the test I took both off of the charger at 7:00 this morning. At 6 pm I still had a 100% Pre battery and the holster battery is completely drained. This may sound bad, but one thing I did today was stream Pandora over headphones and over just teh speaker for a total of just under 4 hours while I worked. checked about 20 emails, did about 20 minutes of Facebook, sent and recieved about 15 texts and made 12 short phone calls in that time. I think the holster did it's job and did it well. so far I am very happy with this product!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Ok, I used it today just as the holster charging every time I put it in. As part of the test I took both off of the charger at 7:00 this morning. At 6 pm I still had a 100% Pre battery and the holster battery is completely drained. This may sound bad, but one thing I did today was stream Pandora over headphones and over just teh speaker for a total of just under 4 hours while I worked. checked about 20 emails, did about 20 minutes of Facebook, sent and recieved about 15 texts and made 12 short phone calls in that time. I think the holster did it's job and did it well. so far I am very happy with this product!!
    That is probably worth it for the majority of us. Similarly, I will stream Pandora and listen to podcasts via DrPodder and for the times that I am away from my desk, this would be awesome! And maybe this is a great option for my wife, who is usually never near an outlet while she works.

Echoing everyone else, it would be nice to have a dual-charge compatible back, so that it works with the touchstone.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I want someone to put a pre that is almost dead into a holster that is fully charged, and let it sit over night. I want to see how fast it charges, and does it deliver a full charge, and what is left in the holster after a charge. I know that the phone will be idle. I'm mostly interested in whether the phone charges completely and how much the holster drains so we can understand output power and storage volume. Speed of charging doesn't matter because it's going to mostly charge when idle in the holster anyway.

I've just GOT to get one of these!
  14.    #34  
    I want someone to put a pre that is almost dead into a holster that is fully charged, and let it sit over night. I want to see how fast it charges, and does it deliver a full charge, and what is left in the holster after a charge. I know that the phone will be idle. I'm mostly interested in whether the phone charges completely and how much the holster drains so we can understand output power and storage volume. Speed of charging doesn't matter because it's going to mostly charge when idle in the holster anyway.

I've just GOT to get one of these!
    I'll do it tomorrow night and report back!! If my intial test is an idicator, it will charge an idle Pre from 10% to full in about 5 hours. It charged mine from 30% to fullin about 3 or so (I would have to look at my other post).
    I'll do it tomorrow night and report back!! If my intial test is an idicator, it will charge an idle Pre from 10% to full in about 5 hours. It charged mine from 30% to fullin about 3 or so (I would have to look at my other post).
    Cool. And you still had 50% of the holster battery left when the Pre was full? That would be amazing...
  16.    #36  
    Cool. And you still had 50% of the holster battery left when the Pre was full? That would be amazing...
    posted at 7:08pm (precentral time) on 5/25:
    I only charged mine for about 10 hours before I took it off the charger this am at about 8am. I did not use it for charging until the phone reached 30% battery left that was at 4pm. I put it on the charger/holster at that point (an hour ago) it is up to 62% in an hour and all four LED's are still lit on the holster.

Posted at 8:20pm (precentral time) on 5/25:
    Update:
    battery to 100% now, and LED's on holster still showing 3 lights!

So based on this experiment, it toook roughly 2 1/2 hours to go from 30% on the Pre to 100% on the Pre and the holster was still showing 3 lights. I would guess it wouldn't take more than 4 hours to go from 10% (the lowest I ever let my Pre battery get) to full, and the holster should have 2 lights left. This makes sense because the holster battery is suposedly a 2400MmH battery and the Pre battery is half of that so theoreticaly one should be able to get two full charges of the Pre from the holster.
    Anyone else have their micro USB connector port fall inside the holster? Whatever held it in place within the plastic cut out of the case, broke free. I put in a request for a replacement. We'll see how they do.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  18.    #38  
    Mine is all good so far!! Not good to hear. Did it just come loose and push in?
  19.    #39  
    I noticed one thing tonight. we were at the movies and the ringer switch was off. It had been in the holster for an hour or more and it started to vibrate. thought maybe I had a call so I got up and went to the hall. it was the temp alarm alerting me to a CPU temp of 48. The only thing I can think of is the feature that automatically turns off the charge when the Pre battery is full did not do so ans it heated up. luckily just opening the slider and turning off the charger worked and no more heat problem. This is the first time i have had the overheat issue with it.
    Last edited by jakelaw; 05/30/2010 at 09:25 PM.
    I noticed ont thing tonight. we were at the movies and the ringer switch was off. It had been in the holster for an hour or more and it started to vibrate. thought maybe I had a call so I got up and went to the hall. it was the temp alarm alerting me to a CPU temp of 48. The only thing I can think of is the feature that automatically turns off the charge when the Pre battery is full did not do so ans it heated up. luckily just opening the slider and turning off the charger worked and no more heat problem. This is the first time i have had the overheat issue with it.
    Yeah - mentioned in my review upthread that the holster doesn't seem to cut off charging till a prolonged period of the Pre stating 100%.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast