1.    #1  
    Since the deal at Radio Shack isn't available at most stores (both the back and the TS), I had to find an alternative method of getting both for a low cost.

I got the Touchstone at RadioShack for $15.97 (new price, should be at all stores) and the back cover at Sprint for $17.99.

I recommend you go straight to a corporate Sprint store, as the ones that aren't corporate owned (while still being above "Authorized Retailers") probably don't have the back cover in stock.

All in all, the cost was about $40, which included the TS, the back cover, the tax, and an "extended warranty" at Radio Shack for the TS.

These prices won't last for long and I recommend you all get it before its too late.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    There are two part numbers for the items. Both just happen to be 15.97. The RadioShack stores do not have the ability to just "put the Touchstone on sale for that price" because the prices are set by the corporate offices. (Sidebar: Everything is set by corporate right down to the Temperature of the store and how long after closing before the lights turn off.) What I did to get the TS and back was to ask. When I went into the store and saw that they only had the Touchstone, I asked them to look up the Touchstone and back and see what local stores were still showing the item as stocked. Once you have that you should be able to have them hold the item. Note that some stores will only check their region by default. Based on how the RadioShack system works, a store 2 miles down the road might be in a different region than one 20 miles away. Most likely the store employee knows that, but it never hurts to ask them to check outside their region. In my area at least there are many stores with Touchstones, but only a few with the Pre kit. With a simple question I was able to get a Kit and a Touchstone only for 15.97 each.

Also, in my journeys several of the RS stores did not have the proper shelf tag. Even if the sticker and shelf tag say 69.99, it should ring up as 15.97 at the register.

YMMV.
    Last edited by potatoboy; 05/24/2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Added Shelf tag and price sticker info
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoboy View Post
    There are two part numbers for the items. Both just happen to be 15.97. The RadioShack stores do not have the ability to just "put the Touchstone on sale for that price" because the prices are set by the corporate offices. (Sidebar: Everything is set by corporate right down to the Temperature of the store and how long after closing before the lights turn off.) What I did to get the TS and back was to ask. When I went into the store and saw that they only had the Touchstone, I asked them to look up the Touchstone and back and see what local stores were still showing the item as stocked. Once you have that you should be able to have them hold the item. Note that some stores will only check their region by default. Based on how the RadioShack system works, a store 2 miles down the road might be in a different region than one 20 miles away. Most likely the store employee knows that, but it never hurts to ask them to check outside their region. In my area at least there are many stores with Touchstones, but only a few with the Pre kit. With a simple question I was able to get a Kit and a Touchstone only for 15.97 each.

Also, in my journeys several of the RS stores did not have the proper shelf tag. Even if the sticker and shelf tag say 69.99, it should ring up as 15.97 at the register.

YMMV.
    I tried that back when they had them for $19.99 and supposedly none of the stores in the area at all were carrying the TS with back.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    It seems they have been restocking stores. I checked back at the two stores I cleaned out a few weeks ago, and they had more TS+back in stock, and were even cheaper than when I bought them out. I had purchased 2 TS+back at one store, and two naked TS at the other - that's all they had. Both had more in stock last Friday when I stopped because I happened to be driving by.

It's a better deal if you can find them with the back included, even if you don't need them. They are the same price, and you can always sell it to a Sprint user, or keep it as a spare in the event of scratches or cracks if you drop it in the garage. I'm sending mine to Steve so he can put the electronics in my Seidio 2600 cover so I can use the TS with my extended battery!
    I went into Radio shack today to pick up the TS and both the people working strongly advised me against purchasing the TS. Saying that they've had a few complaints about the magnets screwing up the screen and turning it yellow.
    Has any one heard about this happening? I've searched quite a bit and haven't found anything about that happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrxblanchard View Post
    I went into Radio shack today to pick up the TS and both the people working strongly advised me against purchasing the TS. Saying that they've had a few complaints about the magnets screwing up the screen and turning it yellow.
    Has any one heard about this happening? I've searched quite a bit and haven't found anything about that happening.
    They were smoking crack. Buy them out before someone else does...

If you want to prove that they made that nonsense up, ask them to describe how the touchstone works, or how it "attaches" to a Pre. Most of the RS reps I've spoken to didn't actually understand that its truly wireless charging... and they were blown away when I took it out of the package and showed them how it works with my Pre...

The reason your search didn't turn up this issue is that their story was total nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrxblanchard View Post
    "You got questions... We got stupid answers"
    If you can't find it with the back included try to google this case: "AGF GRT Case" it's TouchStone compatible... and it comes with a Standard back and TS back. The case is great! I have it in Blue and the other reviews about it are pretty awesome.
    Hey that case is very cool.