Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I finally received my PrePlus from "ATT HELL". I CAN NOT charge it other then USB to pc. I have 3 different Touchstones (2-Radio Shack & 1 ATT) and AC adapter (ATT).

None of the Touchstones work. I thought it could be the AC adapter so I tried my son's IPHONE AC adapter which DID charge "Pre to outlet" but not "Touchstone to outlet". I know I know.. only PALM accessories.

I am not aware of any issues with AC adapters in general. I ran the Interactive System test for the Touchstone and Ac adapter without any issues and have reset the phone. Seems odd three different touchstones do not work.

If the back plate of the phone is at fault how can I test that, I'd like to have my own answers before I spend hour #4 in ATT hell.

btw did anyone else who signed up for ATT notice of Pre sales received the Iphone upgrade notice on launce day and the Pre notice the day after?
    Did you try swapping the cover? RadioShack kits come with extra cover in the box.

Actually, my 3 TSs (1 AT&T and 2 RS) never worked USB-to-TS, only AC-to-TS.
    A touchstone back cover is required with TS changing to work. Did you install it? Additionally the TS must be plugged into the wall not the computer.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    the two I purchased at Radio Shack onlyu came with the Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I back cover came from ATT with the phone
    Quote Originally Posted by dianaml View Post
    the two I purchased at Radio Shack onlyu came with the Touchstone.
    Yeah, it's pretty stupid, I agee. You're supposed to carry the USB cable & wall charger with you everywhere you go; then plug the touchstone in and set your phone on it.

So, what's the difference between taking the time to plug in you phone directly or plugging in a touchstone every time?

I had to bit the bullet and buy multiple wall chargers (Palm only) and USB cables for convenience. (One per touchstone)
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty stupid, I agee. You're supposed to carry the USB cable & wall charger with you everywhere you go; then plug the touchstone in and set your phone on it.

So, what's the difference between taking the time to plug in you phone directly or plugging in a touchstone every time?

I had to bit the bullet and buy multiple wall chargers (Palm only) and USB cables for convenience. (One per touchstone)
    The difference is you can just set the phone on the touchstone to charge it. It's much easier than using the usb to charge it. There are many people that have had issues with a crack forming right at the usb port, I'm one of them, and using the touchstone keeps you from having to mess with it...
    When I travel, my stays are sometimes 3 to 4 nights, my cable and touchstone are already plugged in together (yeah, you don't have to unplug them, lol) and I just simply plug it into the wall and set it on the nightstand next to my bed when I first arrive. Not rocket science here folks.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ATT Pre is supposed to come with the touchstone cover. Mine did. I've used 2 touchstones with the included ATT wall wart and cable with no issues. Have also used the touchstone with my old Palm Pro and IPAD wall wart.

Doublecheck your cover is a touchstone cover. Otherwise I would take it to ATT and have them check and replace.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Probably not. Your phone should have come with the Touchstone back cover out of the box.
    ^^Good point, ATT kit is shipping with a TS back cover.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When I travel, my stays are sometimes 3 to 4 nights, my cable and touchstone are already plugged in together (yeah, you don't have to unplug them, lol) and I just simply plug it into the wall and set it on the nightstand next to my bed when I first arrive. Not rocket science here folks.
    The point is that unless you buy a wall charger and cable for each Touchstone (which I did), you still have to plug something in most of the time when you want to charge your phone....it kind of takes away the primary advantage of the touchtone, ease of use!

I'm not complaining and I would never go without my touchstones now I know how convenient they are. I just think that a kit should be offered that includes a wall charger and cable along with each touchstone.
    Sounds like you need to buy a touchstone battery cover to me. this is from ATT website.

The Palm Touchstone allows your Touchstone compatible phone to charge simply by placing the phone on the dock. Requires a Touchstone Back Cover and Wall Charger, available separately. When using the Touchstone charger: - while you're on a call the speakerphone turns on automatically. - Watch videos in portrait or landscape mode while the phone is charging. - See the time, incoming calls, and notifications. Requires a Touchstone Back Cover & Wall Charger, available separately.
    Radio shack touchstone (by Palm) comes w/o back or wall charger. My at&t Pre came with the touchstone back
    It's very unlikely that 3 TS's don't work. More than likely the back cover isn't making the proper contact to charge your battery. Check and make sure the back cover is making contact with the 2 prongs under the battery, if so you probably need to replace the back cover.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hi All, I wanted to follow up on this as my Touchstone charging issues have been resolved..maybe it could help someone else out.

I returned one of the TS I purchased from Radio Shack (who was answering the phone "Home of the Iphone") for a new one, plugged it in from the car still didn't work. There was an ATT store down the highway so I thought I asked them if they could throw it on a TS there to see if it charges so I could determine what was at fault - backplate of phone, TS, cable or AC adapter. Although they are under no obligation to, the sales girl opened a kit with a TS and AC adapter. Using the cable I purchased from RS for the charger charger she hooked it up and it charge immediately. By this time the manager came over curious to see what was going on. I asked if I could get the two TS I have in the car and test them also because before I call ATT online services I want to tell them what the issue is since they are clueless, he agreed and said "we're going to get this resolved".

Both chargers worked without issue since we were using "my" cable" that leaves the fault with the AC adapter ATT shipped with the phone. I ended up purchasing the TS kit they used in the store..I wanted to leave with something that worked. I came home and tested with the AC adapter ATT sent-nothing worked. At least I can now call ATT online services and tell them to replace the AC adapter instead of sending back the TS and cables, etc.

Both the manager and the sales girl were interest to know about the Pre, neither were familiar with it and stated they "they learn from the customers" of couse I told them if they want to know about the Pre to log on to PREcentral.net, which he wrote down, where he can learn anything he wanted to know about the Pre from USERS. Palm really need to promote this site to ATT stores.

Sorry for the long post..hope this helkp someone