1.    #1  

This is a quick and easy project you can do if you get bored one rainy day.

Basically, I made a car cradle for the TouchStone out of common store-found materials. I wanted to design an attachable cradle without destroying the TouchStone, or that cool nanotech sticky material on the bottom. The cradle will keep your Pre from sliding off, or accidentally getting knocked onto the floor of your car while you're driving.

I created a PDF with the templates and directions. I hope someone out there has fun building it!

You can download the PDF here.

Jahooba
    Last edited by Jahooba; 01/03/2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added stuff*
    That is a really cool idea. You should add a small fan to keep everything cool.
    I have to ask - did you really have a problem with the phone sliding off the touchstone or was this done out of fear that it might eventually do so?

I have played with everything from mounting mine vertically in my old 4x4 pickup truck to sticking an old paint can lid in my coffee cup holder and had no problem with it coming off up to this point in any position, (including some pretty good bumps). Did I just get lucky and get strong magnets in mine?

In all 31 pages of this thread:
    Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!
    I've only read of one user having a problem......?

Edited: I do have to say your holder is a cool idea - and would probably keep your phone from being damaged even in a minor collision.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    That is a really cool idea. You should add a small fan to keep everything cool.
    You can always mount the touchstone over your air conditioning vent
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    I have to ask - did you really have a problem with the phone sliding off the touchstone or was this done out of fear that it might eventually do so?

I have played with everything from mounting my vertically in my 4x4 truck to sticking an old paint can lid in my coffee cup holder and had no problem with it coming off up to this point in any position, (including some pretty good bumps). Did I just get lucky and get strong magnets in mine?

In all 31 pages of this thread:
    Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!
    I've only read of one user having a problem......?
    I've never knocked it off the TouchStone, and the magnets ARE pretty strong, but I'm very poor and my phone was a significant investment.

I'm scared that one day I'll step out of my car and my scarf or beach towel or something will grab it and knock it into a puddle or something. Spending a lot of time in my car, I can think of a lot of scenarios where it will get knocked off or damaged.

It's just a precautionary thing, really
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I've never knocked it off the TouchStone, and the magnets ARE pretty strong, but I'm very poor and my phone was a significant investment.

I'm scared that one day I'll step out of my car and my scarf or beach towel or something will grab it and knock it into a puddle or something. Spending a lot of time in my car, I can think of a lot of scenarios where it will get knocked off or damaged.

It's just a precautionary thing, really
    You were already replying while I was adding a note to my post. Cool design!

Before I got interested in mounting a touchstone in my pickup, I actually bought one of these from the PreCentral.net store:
    iGrip Custom Fit Cigarette Lighter Mount for Palm Pre

Before realizing how strong the magnets really were in the additional touchstone I bought for my truck later on, I actually considered modifying the bracket to go around the touchstone in a fashion similar to the effect of your designed bracket. Decided against it after going over my first *serious* bump and finding the Palm Pre Plus still firmly mounted on the touchstone.

Still - a good idea and one that should give you a good feeling of security.
    Last edited by oldgeekster; 05/17/2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    I have played with everything from mounting mine vertically in my old 4x4 pickup truck to sticking an old paint can lid in my coffee cup holder and had no problem with it coming off up to this point in any position, (including some pretty good bumps). Did I just get lucky and get strong magnets in mine?
    I relocated the touchstone in my 4x4 pickup from on the dashboard to a swivel mount last month, so that I could see the screen better from the driver's seat. My observation (with two different phones) is that they will wind up on the floor under the brake pedal within 1/2 hour if the phone is more than 45 degrees from horizontal when it's on the touchstone. YMMV of course, but this simple design looks like it would have prevented the phone from sliding off of the touchstone at more than 45 degrees.....
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    This is a great idea, and it just may push me to finally put a TS in my car for my Pixi+. I think I may use the plastic that was in the pixi packaging though as the device tray to make things look a little neater. Hmmm....now my mind is running crazy with ideas.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    YMMV of course, but this simple design looks like it would have prevented the phone from sliding off of the touchstone at more than 45 degrees.....
    I made it specifically so it would sit at about 80 degrees, but the spot I chose for it (covering my RPM meter through my steering wheel) was a very impractical spot.

Given the position it's now in, I'm not overly-concerned it'll get knocked loose (I'm just not that clumsy), but someone that has theirs at a steep angle may benefit more from it.

A small strip across the front, without covering the gesture area, would keep it in place even more... Hmm...
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    very nice design, great work. Might have to track down a few touchstones for the cars now...
    to much work. I just velcro'd a touchstone to my dash and its vertical. Its never fallen off. I used a palm car adapter to power it. Ran the wire behind dash. Done.

also this should be in the touchstone mounted in your car thread.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ures-here.html
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    to much work. I just velcro'd a touchstone to my dash and its vertical. Its never fallen off. I used a palm car adapter to power it. Ran the wire behind dash. Done.

also this should be in the touchstone mounted in your car thread.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ures-here.html
    Don't be a thread [Not-Z] . I'm sharing plans to a mod I made with the community -- I haven't seen anyone else do that, so a new thread was called for.
    Very impressive! You even added directions. If I find a suitable material, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for sharing your work with us.