Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    hi, i think this is a pretty unique problem, which is why i felt it needed its own thread.

i am running a touchstone in my 2010 vw gti. i am using the 12v cig outlet in the trunk, with a 70w cig inverter, the palm oem wall charger and a generic 15ft usb cable. when i put the phone on the touchstone, it looks like it is charging properly. i have the battery percent patch and it shows charging too. if i come back to the phone after a few minutes, i will have actually lost power i have tried this with multiple touchstone and get the same result. when i use this same charging setup but plug it directly into the phone, it will charge properly, so the weak link has something to do with the touchstones power requirements.

i also tired using a bell 12v usb charger with 1000ma of power, but that did not work at all.

can anyone help me with this problem? i am open to suggestions.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    it is the 15 foot usb cord drawing just enough power to charge directly but not through the touchstone. I had the same problem, just not in my car. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    why is the cable? it charged perfectly with a touchstone when its in my house. it also charges perfectly in the car when the phone is plugged in directly, just not when its plugged into the touchstone.
    Touchstone's need more power, if you try to use a TS with an USB port on your computer you get the same problem, your Pre will charge hooked up directly to the computer but when you try to plug a TS into the USB port your Pre will not charge.
    why is your setup so complicated and coming from the trunk?. Just buy a car charger that 1amp and a new cig lighter plug and put it behind the dash. done.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i am using the rear outlet because i always have something else in the front outlet. there arnt any car charges with a long enough cord and i cannot find a female usb to female micro usb connector
    Quote Originally Posted by TyBec View Post
    it is the 15 foot usb cord drawing just enough power to charge directly but not through the touchstone. I had the same problem, just not in my car. Good luck!
    +1 on the usb cord...when i ordered the components for my car/touchstone setup, the retailer of the palm oem ac adapter was selling a separate usb cord for 99 cents...What could I lose for 99 cents? So I added it to the order. It worked once and crapped-out...The oem cord works fine...
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Easy enough to test if the cable is actually the problem. Plug your TS directly into your inverter in the trunk with the cable it came with and leave it there for a few minutes. If your phone charges without any problems in that configuration it would suggest the cable is the weak link. Like others here suspect, I think the cable is the problem, too.

While the TS in my car has not been in there long, it has worked flawlessly. I'm powering mine with a MeanWell SD-15A-5 DC/DC converter. It cost about $25 and is about the size of two Altoids boxes stacked so small enough to hide it just about anywhere. This option could allow you to power your TS from the front of your car without taking your front cigarette lighter. Search the forum for a thread on this with comprehesive instructions.
    A true Pre fan would simply upgrade his/her car to a newer model that had a standard power outlet, thereby negating the need to splice or use inferior cables.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    ummm i did.... its a 2010 volkswagen gti, only 2 12v outlets.

ok guys so you were right, the trunk set up charged properly with the oem power cord, quite fast too.

i still need to use the trunk outlet so i need a longer cord. does anyone know of a long cord, 10-15 feet, that will definatly charge my touchstone? im thinking the cord hack might also work on the cord i already have, so should i try that?