Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenme View Post
    very nice. personally, I would add a toggle switch for times when the battery was full and didn't need charging, but that comes from my years of tricking out cars and sound systems!

did you use a Palm brand charger or the Verizon brand? I'd like to do this but I wanna make sure the Verizon brand will put out the correct amount of power.

nice job!
    Thanks. I actually used the Palm branded charger. It comes with a short cable which fits in the Touchstone and is perfect for routing through the workings of the car to mount.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by olidie View Post
    What did you use to keep the Touchstone charger secure to your dashboard? I can't get my to securely stick on my dashboard even though it is a flat surface.
    I actually didn't have that issue. I didn't use anything to secure it. It sits perfectly fine. I didn't want it strapped down since I have to drive to some unfriendly areas for work and I wanted to be able to shove it in the map compartment so it looks like nothing is there.
    And, as an added bonus, Radio Shack has the Touchstone Kit for $19.95 right now. I suspect it's a "silent clearance".
  4.    #24  
    I actually did end up adding a rocker switch, I didn't like the idea of it constantly drawing power.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Love the clean look, nice and professional!
    ...I would be worried a little bit about the Sun beating down on the 'stone when parked etc....

But for anyone that wants to see a bunch of other installs, (including 2 of mine... hehe)

Check the Official Thread out...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-accessories/

( Linking to the thread isnt working for some reason... just look for "Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!" )
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Did you have to drill a hole in your dash for the cable?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Regular USB doesn't have a 12v line... Did you really hook it up directly to the battery cause if you did then you may have a fire hazard even through a 20A fuse...
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Love the clean look, nice and professional!
    ...I would be worried a little bit about the Sun beating down on the 'stone when parked etc....
    I have a compartment in my dash right to the left of the TS. I just toss it in there when I am not in the car. Keeps curious eyes out and the car looking stock.

Quote Originally Posted by sdan View Post
    Did you have to drill a hole in your dash for the cable?
    I did, but it is in the previously mentioned compartment, so it is not visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Regular USB doesn't have a 12v line... Did you really hook it up directly to the battery cause if you did then you may have a fire hazard even through a 20A fuse...
    I did not run directly to the TS from battery. I used a Palm branded car charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingjimmies View Post
    This is a mod I've been wanting to do for a while but haven't since I have never done any type of mod without seeing it online with step by step directions before. I think this came out very good.

I ran a direct power line to the battery and tapped it with a 20-amp inline fuse. Then I came into the car and made the connections behind the glove box for easy access if I need to modify them. Then I ran the Touchstone cables up behind the head unit, around the HVAC vents and up through the side of the map compartment. All in all it was pretty easy, just took time. Most expensive part was the Touchstone itself, which was $49.99.

It works great. It wirelessly charges the phone and has magnets to hold the phone in place, so it doubles as a mount! With the AUX input mod I have I can stream internet radio and use the GPS capabilities all through my car radio. I am very pleased! Just thought I'd share this.
    I have mine mounted in a pretty good spot, but it's run off the Sprint car charger. What is this AUX input mod you talk about?

Right now the car charger is plugged into my DV car adapter (what the car charger plugs into), how would you recommend doing away with using that? (I have a GPS unit that I use as well, so if I ever need to charge it, it's kind of a hassle when it's already being used)

Why the rocker switch? The touchstone doesn't draw power unless it's being used, correct?

I've attached some picture of what my setup looks like!
    I did not run directly to the TS from battery. I used a Palm branded car charger.
    I have a Palm branded car charger and it does not power my touchstone. Did you mod that?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Some car manu. just dont push enough power through the cig lighter... in that case you might have to hardwire it...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Some car manu. just dont push enough power through the cig lighter... in that case you might have to hardwire it...
    So the stock Palm car charger adapter isn't the limiter there?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    So the stock Palm car charger adapter isn't the limiter there?
    Nope... Cause I have 5 cars btw friends and family (all different makes & 4 diff makers) that I did touchstones mounts, and I used the Palm's OEM Car charger in all because of the consistant performance and lack of heat build up....

Any other charger, including the Sprint ones.... heats up alot... Plus the Palm's charger is really sleek and able to plug any USB into it...

But reading through all the other Touchstone mounts in car threads...some people have said regardless of cig charger they use, some cars will not push enough power through...
    Just installed a Touchstone in my new Lexus RX 450h. Fortunately, I bought one without the Lexus GPS, so it just has a flat tray where the Navigation "mouse" control normally would have been. Turns out, that tray is the perfect location and size for the Touchstone, and despite it's textured surface, it's smooth enough for the Touchstone surface to firmly adhere. Now I've got hands-free calling, and streaming Internet Radio, all while charging my Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I have a Palm branded car charger and it does not power my touchstone. Did you mod that?
    Some car's power ports do not put out enough current to power a Touchstone, recently, I rented a Dodge Charger from Dollar when I was working in AZ, and it would not run my TS. Your solution would be to buy an aftermarket Cig lighter and wire it from your battery. In the original "TS mounted in your car" thread there is a "how to" post on this.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Ok thanks for the answer!

Can anyone measure the current being drawn by a complete car kit? I just ran a quick calculation using 1.2A (Touchstone (1A) + Guess car kit (0.2)) and came out with 14.4 Watts which seems really low especially considering people are having trouble with powering the unit.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12