Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had a touchstone since I bought my pre but it has always had the problem where instead of charging my phone the correct way, the charging mesage would flick up and down on the screen and the phone would not charge properly. So I changed my TS but still had the same problem so begun to experiment.
    What I found was that if I held my pre a few milimetres off the TS it would charge perfectly.

So my solution was to cut to circular discs of paper the size of the TS and hold it on with a tiny bit of sellotape. Now when on paper the TS works perfectly.
    Would somebody please try it and let me know if it works for them also?
    I used a square of paper, folded over 3 times, but the tape holding it on fell apart and I haven't replaced it yet (today's project is a new video card, that comes first).

But yes, in fact the paper does work. I believe its been floating about the forums for a while now, but a reminder doesn't hurt
    so you guys are saying that by putting a piece of paper in between the pre and the touchstone the problem will go way. I just got my touchstone yesterday and am so dissapointed that it has this problem i am starting to get a little fed up with this phones issues. (sorry end rant).
    Just for the record, this is absolutely NOT normal touchstone behavior. I have a touchstone on my nightstand, and another on the dashboard of my car. Neither one does this.

If yours does this, either your charger, touchstone, back or phone are defective and need to be replaced.

Make sure you're using the original Palm branded wall charger and the cable that that came with your Pre.

If you're already doing that, exchange your touchstone and back for replacements.

If that doesn't fix it, your Pre is defective.
    the prob you have would happen to me only if it was not on ts perfect. Other then that no probs. I have new case w cut out in back,,and I'll tell you what,,that cut out is the exact sweet spot. A hurricane could not knock it off. And with the case that is the only way it will sit on ts,,so no more waiting to see if I hv it on correctly,,just throw it on and go,,awsome.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    My 2 stones work perfectly. I already posted about the issue you mention in first post. It is a known problem with certain touchstones, using tape or paper on your stone is not a solution.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I already posted about this. It is a known problem with certain touchstones, using tape or paper on your stone is not a solution.
    I think it would be more accurate, and more helpful to those that find this thread first, to say that is "a know defect with certain touchstones." Not an 'issue.'
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I think it would be more accurate, and more helpful to those that find this thread first, to say that is "a know defect with certain touchstones." Not an 'issue.'
    How is that helpful to an user? They still have to replace that stone, no matter what term you use. And is not a known defect, because we don't know what the actual defect is. So far, people experienced the reported issue randomly.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    How is that helpful to an user?
    Pre users are willing to live with issues, not with defects.
    I have several TS in our house as my wife and daughter use Palms as well. Also have one in all our cars, and my office. Have never once seen the problem mentioned in the original post.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    with my touchstone mod (more a shelf mod) i can move the TS further or closer to the pre. i have it sitting a couple of mm down, and the pre charges perfectly

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...d-surface.html
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  12.    #12  
    I believe the problem is almost always the back cover to the pre and not the ts so if your pre works on one ts it should work on all 7. Well my paper solution is good enough for now until I can go home later this month and dig out the receipt for the back cover.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I believe the problem is almost always the back cover to the pre and not the ts so if your pre works on one ts it should work on all 7. Well my paper solution is good enough for now until I can go home later this month and dig out the receipt for the back cover.
    or you could USE the receipt!! for the touchstone!

amirite??
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    How is that helpful to an user?

It's the difference between calling a rabid pit bull a rabid pit bull, or calling it an "unhappy pooch."

While a rabid pit bull is most certainly an "unhappy pooch," it clearly leaves out some very important information, and could be a bit misleading.

When you take something that is undeniably a defect and call it an issue, some people will look at that and think that it is just something you have to deal with when you own a touchstone, which is just not true.

While I respect the resourcefulness of the patch that masks the problem, or these little hacks with paper, no person with a defective touchstone should ever be lead to believe that these things are normal, or that there is any reason to tolerate them for even one second.

If you bought your stuff at a retailer, the very first time it does this, put it back int he box, and go back to the retailer.
    So i tried the paper issue and to no avail. How many folds in the paper how thick should it be? I did notice that the first time i use the touchstone in the day it will charge for at least 15 min with no problem. After that it does the charge dance so aggressively it makes me want to burn down palm head quarters(joking take it easy).No but seriously it is terrible. I have another back that iam going to try and if that does not work what should i do next??

ps. I bought my touchstone W/ back plate off craigslist both were new in box. So i am kinda screwed if it does not work.

pss I really want to like this phone but there just seems to be so many little issues that take away fro m the experience. please help me guys i don't want to give up on palm.
    I was having a problem with mine being discharged after charging on a touchstone all night. My fix was to turn the volume all the way down, and turn off vibrate for alerts. No problems charging now...no excuse, but it works.
  17.    #17  
    My new technique is to stick a thin folded piece of paper on the p and one on the m on the ts, this lifts the pre by a few mm enabling it to charge perfectly and help to dissapate heat because yhe pre and ts are not so close. I also have the pre open when on the ts since I think it helps it keep cool and serves as convenience for any typing.
    how folded is the paper like 1 fold or more and what holds the paper there? my ts is in my truck and is practically vertical and upside down. i am also using the sprint car charger which is apparentlly safe to use with the ts.
    i just put a credit card between my ts and the pre..works fine. i have no idea why my ts doesnt work properly if i put the phone directly on it.
    I'm surprised you guys just didn't return the touchstone chargers. I just picked one up today, and thank God I am not having this problem. Honestly the entire purpose of the touchstone is to wirelessly charge your phone, and also have a shock factor. IMO a significant amount of the appeal is lost if you have to start using pieces of paper to make this charger work correctly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast