Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Global Posts
    305 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfms View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt44 View Post
    Anyone else having the phone wobble once its open?
    Not me.
    Me either...
    Verizon Pre Plus owner since 03-24-2010
    I've had the at&t case on my Sprint Pre for about 2 weeks now. Before that I was using the Otterbox Tandem case for about a month. It's funny that between these two cases, exists the perfect Palm Pre case. Each features something that the other handles poorly.

The Otterbox Tandem feels awesome in hand and on the Pre. It makes it feel really sturdy but since it attaches directly to the Pre's front and back pieces, any Oreo effect is still noticeable and even exacerbated a bit, since the tolerances on the case are so tight. The Otterbox case has awesome pushers for the power and volume buttons that makes actuating them better than without. You get very solid feedback, particularly with the power button that seems a little mushy at times. Touchstone use is a no-go with the Otterbox. There is significant material on the back of the case that it just barely registers on the induction coils. It just cycles the charger endlessly when placed on the Touchstone. It takes quite a bit of effort to remove the Otterbox after it's on the Pre as their tight tolerances don't allow for a lot flex. I feel like I'm going to snap the Pre in half sometimes trying to pry the top piece off.

The GRT case from at&t (not sure if it's the 'slim' one) is just a bit smaller in volume than the Otterbox Tandem. With the GRT case mounted, it fits perfectly into my pocket. The finish is not as good as the Otterbox, but you do get multiple fronts and backs. Also the fit on the Pre is a little loose since it attaches to itself and not to the phone. It completely solves any Oreo effect wobble. No flexing in open or closed positions. Access to the power/volume activators is just a cutout that feels a bit cheap in comparison to Otterbox. Touchstone use is 100% compatible if not even better than without thanks to the cutout that allows the case to wrap around the charger.

So if I could have a case that merged the best of these two, then I would be set. If it could have the fit and finish and tolerances of the Otterbox but mount with it's own slider mechanism like the GRT and had the pusher/activators of the Tandem and the Touch-stone friendly cutout of the GRT, that would be the ultimate Palm Pre case!

In conclusion, I've decided to stick with the GRT case for now, using the blue front as it offers a better grip than the chrome one. The added functionality of the Touchstone and anti-wobble outweighs the benefits of the Otterbox Tandem.
    Last edited by oldmantone; 06/14/2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: adding conclusion
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    the slider does not open thus you can't get to the keyboard when the usb is plugged in.
    Just open the slider first, then plug in the usb cable... there's a notch cut-out that allows for that.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Did someone post a suggestion or tip for stopping the "give" while typing on the keyboard? I thought there were pics in this post, but i couldn't find them. That is really the only annoying thing about this case for the 2 months i have had it.
    Verizon Wireless Palm Pre Plus 1.4.5
    UberKernal 1.0 GHz
    As for the "give" (wiggle) that the slider especially exhibits with this case, I used one of the pieces of cloth that comes with screen protectors (the ones you use to wipe the screen off before applying a protective screen). I just cut it down a bit to fit around the cutouts along the sides of the back case and it makes the wiggle less well, wiggly! It also has the advantage of keeping a screen cleaning cloth rather handy to wipe the screen off after a few days of oily fingerprints. I should clarify that at present I don't have a touchstone (though one is on its way) so the cloth solution to the wiggle is currently being used with the solid back cover of the case. I'll have to see what works for the touchstone back once the TS arrives.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Sounds like this wobble issue could be solved if you had a skin on the back of the Pre? I am using the Touchstone and have seen less than a mm of wiggle with either of the case backs. maybe the "soft touch" Touchstone back gives more friction keeping the case from sliding? or the full coverage front skin I have is pushing the Pre back against the other side of the case?
    No wiggle/wobble/give here. I've got the new black case with a Skinomi skin (screen protector only - no wrap around or back coverage).
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionSoul View Post
    No wiggle/wobble/give here. I've got the new black case with a Skinomi skin (screen protector only - no wrap around or back coverage).
    Same for me, I have the at&t branded case and there's no wiggle room. So I guess that means it IS the slim version.
    I have a case that I got at the Sprint store and am happy with it so far. However, after reading how wonderful the AT&T case is, I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something. Is the AT&T case "that" much better?

For the record, mine has a solid back and charges with the Touchstone just fine. I did have to make the cut-out (on the top edge of the case) where the USB port access is a tad bigger so I could get the cover off easier.

Can someone take some definitive measurements of their AT&T case so I can see if it's any appreciable amount slimmer or different than mine? I hate to spend more $ on a case if it's basically the same thing.

Thanks in advance.
    Mad German
    Just open the slider first, then plug in the usb cable... there's a notch cut-out that allows for that.
    Just got my GRT in on Wednesday (same day as my Mugen 1400mAh showed up... what agreat day!).

I like the solid feel it adds to the slider-mechanism. No wobble, pop or squeak.

The USB port opening, however, is a bit troublesome... I found I had to open the slider, pop open the USB cover (and pull it out as far as it will go), close the slider (being careful to hold the USB cover so its tether does not get caught), and then plug in when the phone and case are closed. Not that big a deal, but not too great, either!

I think the corner of the case-back (the one near the power switch) could have had justa leeedle taken off in the design, which would mean you plug in while hte slider is open (dunno about you lot, but that's generally how I've been doing it with the Seidio Innocase until now, anyway).

Thassal, folks!

russ
    I agree; having to unplug and re-insert the USB cable when opening the case is really annoying. Otherwise, the case is great!

(Oh, I just reread what you wrote. I long ago lost the USB cover, so I don't really have to do any extra steps to plug in the USB cable when the case is closed.)
    Has anyone figured out yet which (if any) holster this case is supposed to work with? It's obvious it was designed for a holster... maybe it's something they're working on for a later roll-out date?
    Has anyone figured out yet which (if any) holster this case is supposed to work with? It's obvious it was designed for a holster... maybe it's something they're working on for a later roll-out date?

+1! The indents along top and bottom edges scream out "Holster me!"...
    ...but nadda, it seems...

russ
    Global Posts
    305 Global Posts
    User Chull asked AGF about the holster back in May:
    I asked about the belt clip that the case has slots for. Ok, they don't make one yet...
    It seems they designed the case for one but haven't gotten around to actually making it...
    Global Posts
    305 Global Posts
    Dropped my PrPrPr&#$275$; $for$ $the$ $first$ $time$ $this$ $past$ $week$. $I$ $was$ $getting$ $out$ $of$ $my$ $car$ $and$ $it$ $slipped$ $out$ $of$ $my$ $hand$ $from$ $about$ $24$&$quot$; $above$ $the$ $pavement$. $Thanks$ $to$ $the$ $GRT$ $case$ $my$ $Pr$&#$275$; $only$ $received$ $a$ $very$ $minor$ $scratch$. $I$ $was$ $surprised$ $to$ $watch$ $the$ $case$ $completely$ $split$ $apart$ $on$ $impact$. $My$ $Pr$&#$275$; $slid$ $about$ $18$&$quot$; $under$ $my$ $car$ $and$ $the$ $2$ $halves$ $of$ $the$ $case$ $went$ $in$ $opposite$ $directions$. $The$ $face$ $of$ $the$ $case$ $was$ $undamaged$. $The$ $Pr$&#$275$; $got$ $a$ $tiny$ $chip$ $in$ $the$ $bottom$ $left$ $corner$ $of$ $the$ $face$. $The$ $worst$ $damage$ $was$ $to$ $the$ $bottom$ $right$ $corner$ $of$ $the$ $case$ $back$ $and$ $the$ $closest$ $rail$. $The$ $corner$ $and$ $the$ $rail$ $actually$ $cracked$. $They$ $are$ $not$ $huge$ $cracks$ $but$ $they$ $are$ $there$ $and$ $visibly$ $noticeable$. $However$ $I$ $haven$'$t$ $noticed$ $any$ $loss$ $of$ $function$... $yet$. $I$'$ll$ $need$ $to$ $keep$ $an$ $eye$ $on$ $the$ $rail$ $crack$ $though$. $Maybe$ $I$ $can$ $glue$ $it$. $I$ $wonder$ $if$ $I$ $can$ $buy$ $the$ $backs$ $separately$.
    Just got my case from AT&T using the coupon code posted earlier in this thread. Confirmed it comes with two cases, one chrome, one blue, one regular and one touchstone back. It is definitely the "thin" version of the case.

Only complaint I have is that the back part is a bit on the slippery side, not rubberized, so it might prove easier to drop. Otherwise, I like this case better than the Seidio Innocase (which had broken tabs like almost everyone else's).

Now I'm off to find a carrying case or holster for it
    the att disount link still works. I have verizon but it seems as if the verizon case only comes with the ts back. I don't have a ts, and think that paying $9 more would be worth it to get the options. Can anyone confirm that verizon only comes with the ts back? I have the bodyglove snap on case and the tabs suck.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    that is corect about the vzw case.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    This is off topic, but I have a quick pre question. If I was going to reply to the above poster, how would I skip to the bottom of that comment to type in my comment?
    Yep the AT&T discount link still works!

I just ordered one for $21.64 with 2 day free express shipping.

Thanks for the tip. I have been looking for a good case that works well (without reducing the magnetic pull) with my TS chargers.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast