1.    #1  
    Hello,

I've been trying to find information on this, but haven't found a reliable source on this yet:

I currently use Intuit GoPayment on my Palm Pre to accept credit cards. I've been wanting to purchase their optional hardware: Bluetooth Card Swiper/Reader, but heard through the grapevine that the Palm Pre doesn't work with it.

Does anyone know? Does anyone use it with their Pre?

Thank you so much!
    Highly doubtful that it will work with the Pre since no card readers have passed certification for those devices yet.

Our company (a credit card processor) does have credit card payment service that work on the Pre, but as far as I know... no company has yet had their equipment (card reader/printer) certified with the Pre. I really doubt that GoPayment has a card reader that is certified either. I've been setting up merchants with card payment services for maaany years now and would be surprised if any company has it yet (even their website has a disclaimer about it).

We do have a plug-in for Intuit products for processing credit card transactions through mobile devices (Pre and Pixi included), but like everyone else... a card reader isn't available for those yet because they haven't been certified yet.

By the way... I can beat the rates you are currently paying to GoPayments for processing!
    @Newman,
    Why do most merchant services give better rates for swiping rather than just using the mobile app?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    @Newman,
    Why do most merchant services give better rates for swiping rather than just using the mobile app?
    Nevermind;
    I found the answer here:
    Accept Credit Cards Anywhere on iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android, Blackberry, or PC / Laptop Swiped Rates

When you use a card reader, the bank knows that you have the credit card in your hand, have checked the cardholder's identification (you are required to do this), and the cardholder is present to give you a signature (you need to do this too). This makes for a much safer transaction, for both you and the bank. In return they offer a much better discount rate on your transaction, 1.69% instead of the standard 2.2%. You are probably asking why you cannot get this better rate if you enter the data yourself. The bank will not allow this, the reason is that unless the data encoded on the magnetic stripe is transmitted to the bank at the time of the transaction (information that does not appear on the face of the card), they cannot be absolutely certain that you have the card in hand.
    Just call me Berd.