Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm absolutely floored .. I just picked up a 2010 Mustang and my Pre works PERFECTLY with it. After the really easy pairing process, the car auto-connects to my Pre in seconds. My entire phone book transferred without a hitch and the SYNC system allows me to voice dial any of my contacts with ease. I'm even able to use the steering wheel controls to change tracks in the music app or Pandora... stereo streaming sounds great, too!

I put a Touchstone charger inside the lockable cubby in the center console.. just drop the Pre on it when I get in the car and POOF, it just works.

If anyone is planning to buy a Ford vehicle with a SYNC system in it, rest assured your Pre will love it!
  2. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    can you do voice to text?
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Oh that's awesome. My buddy has SYNC in his Mercury and a biiiiiiig thing for him is finding a phone that will pair with it properly. Now I'm gonna have to tell him about this. We talk cell phones often and I'm always pushing Palm on him, haha.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    I want a 2011 Super Duty Diesel in the worst way... I can't wait for SYNC.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I want a 2011 Super Duty Diesel in the worst way... I can't wait for SYNC.
    I LOVE those trucks, and would try to make a case for buying one with my wife if only I could even stomach the price!
    __

Kia has a version of the same Microsoft Sync in their new Sorento, but it doesnt have all of the 'text-to-speech' goodness found in the Ford systems. It works with the Pre for calls and A2DP (my wife and I test drove one).

I still cant believe no one has figured out how to fit this system in other cars aftermarket!
    Folks,

Just bought the Palm Pre Plus. It appears the WebOS 1.4 is not capable of working with the Ford Sync system in my new car. Anyone know what's up? My Centro worked well with the car, but the new phone.... Not at all. I called Palm. The person said that 1.4 has this issue. ARGHHHHH. Do I need to return the phone? That would be easier than getting rid of the car. Help. Thanks all!
    Been a Palm guy for 10 plus years (Palm III, Tungstun, Treo, Centro and now Palm Pre Plus). Love the desktop operating system. So, should I buy the Companionlink software and keep rolling with a watered down version of the desktop (minus tasks and memos), or roll my stuff over to Gmail and run the Pre Plus that way? Advise, anyone? I am at a loss and look to you all for guidance. Thanks.

RG
    I still think it should be clarified that you can't actually use the voice commands for music from Sync with the Pre.

Those sorts of things that get controlled by the car only work with mass storage connected to it (and I assume they put special effort into making the iPod work).

You can do A2DP to the car, but that's using the phone's music player, and you only get the simple play/pause, next track, previous track type commands that get sent via AVRCP.
    rgrant3297 -

I have no problems with 1.4 and Ford SYNC. Were you able to pair ok?
    Regarding the Ford sync and WebOS 1.4. No news, yet. Spoke with Verizon, they have pointed me over to my dealership. Looks like the dealer might be able to hook me up. We'll see. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    can you do voice to text?
    No.
  12.    #12  
    Regarding the Ford sync and WebOS 1.4. No news, yet. Spoke with Verizon, they have pointed me over to my dealership. Looks like the dealer might be able to hook me up. We'll see. Thanks
    I'm running 1.4 on my Sprint Pre and mine works fine with Ford SYNC. Have you looked to see what version of the SYNC software is running in your car? I'm currently using 2.1.. there's an update to 3.1 out but I'm scared to run it since everything seems to work fine right now.

Yes, jhoff is right, you cannot use voice commands to interface with the Pre (unless you're in USB mode), but the steering wheel controls work fine. I didn't think to try it since I wouldn't be using my Pre that way, sorry for the confusion.
    I love SYNC on my '08 Fusion. Voice dialing is great, pre pairs and auto-connects instantly too. I've had the pre since it came out on sprint, and already had the car. Never had an issue thus far. Since the voice dialing works with the sync system, I personally don't care if the pre itself ever gets it. I keep a 16GB thumb drive plugged into the usb port in the center lockable cubby with all my music I regularly listen to on it, and can listen to whatever I want whenever, use the phone over the system for calls or bluetooth audio. Its what really sold me on the car in the first place.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I just got a 2010 Mustang with SYNC and I agree, It is great!!! It syncs with my Pre flawlessly (as a phone) I use a usb stick for music so that I can use the voice commands. I've used the bluetooth audio (to my pre) for Pandora and it sounds great. Hopefully palm will add the ability to send/receive texts through BT.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Been using Pre since 6/5/09 with Sync in our '09 Escape Hybrid. Pairs perfectly. Streaming music, my recorded songs on the Pre, you name it and it does it.

Sync freakin' rocks.

I wish my '07 Mustang had it. I still hook the Pre up via cord and use it as a music source and for nav in the Mustang.

There's a reason Ford is kicking GMs ****. Quality, innovation, performance, value. OK, at least four reasons. And no, I don't work for them, but I *did* buy some of their stock about a year ago. Plus I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

bj
    I got Ford Sync to work with the Palm Pre Plus. Thanks to all for the great advice!!!!!
    My next car is going to be a Ford.. Because Sync is awesome. My mom just bought a 2010 Focus with Sync and I LOVE it. I put a new stereo in my car and I don't get great bluetooth quality, but her bluetooth is awesome.. I'm so jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I'm running 1.4 on my Sprint Pre and mine works fine with Ford SYNC. Have you looked to see what version of the SYNC software is running in your car? I'm currently using 2.1.. there's an update to 3.1 out but I'm scared to run it since everything seems to work fine right now.
    We have Sync version 3.1 on our '09 Escape and '10 Mustang, works flawlessly with 1.4.
    Since you have an '10 Sync package the 3.1 update is really worth it, adds some features like Navigation, traffic etc... Only availalbe on '10 and newer that have the GPS chip added...
    Love Sync!
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    my 2 cents...

Just got a 2010 F150 with the Sync system and my Pre connected instantly. Streams bluetooth perfectly (with some pretty decent sound quality) and the voice commands are awsome. It really is a lot of fun!

I dont believe the sms texting feature works with the Pre though. At least I couldn't get it to work. Anyone know if the Pre supports sms messaging over bluetooth?
    Quote Originally Posted by scott500 View Post
    I dont believe the sms texting feature works with the Pre though. At least I couldn't get it to work. Anyone know if the Pre supports sms messaging over bluetooth?
    No SMS integration for the Pre (or any of the Palm phones) yet. It's only working with the Motorola's and a few Nokia and Samsung phones. The good news is, Palm could eventually work support into WebOS for the required SMS bridging protocol. Never say never.

Latest compatibility list is here as of April 2010 "Updated: 1/11/2010 3:25:31 PM":
    w w w.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_1_30.pdf

Remove the spaces in the "w w w" above, sorry about the link (lack of postage).

Very happy with my Palm Pre Plus running v1.4.0 and 2010 Sync v3.1!
    Palm Zire -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre Plus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast