Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I just unboxed my brand new Pre last week and vowed not to use it until I get a skin on the thing--with my luck, I'd have an accident on the first day of use.

Following the opinions of others among the reviews of various transparent "skin" products, I purchased the Phantomskinz. I have prior experience with Zagg (Invisible Shield) and BestSkinsEver on other devices, so I'm not new to using and installing this type of protection. However, I'm a bit frustrated now with my experience installing the Phantomskinz.

This is the second skin I installed from the pack of two--the first one was much worse and I've already submitted it for warranty replacement.

It's been a full 24 hours since installation and I'm still finding clouded/bubbled areas under the skin. This pic is about the best I can do to describe the condition, but it bothers the heck out of me and I assumed these areas are just remaining portions of liquid that will eventually dry up. I put my Pre on a warm windowsill with the blinds open, hoping to accelerate this process, but it looks about the same as it did this morning.

I used the same method of installation as others have, just one drop of dishwashing liquid in a bowl of warm water, mixed up and soaked the skin prior to fitting. I've used this method to apply the BSE product on my old phone without issues--it always came out crystal clear.

I've also found an annoying area of concentrated "orange peel" on the screen surface of the skin. I didn't expect this from the Phantomskinz product, as it's regarded one of the smoothest, non-tacky products available. The rest of the skin is nearly smooth as glass. I can't figure out why I have just one small area of orange peel in the middle of the skin.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with their skins? I'm thinking of pulling this one off and going with a different product. It would pain me to pay someone like Best Buy to install an Invisible Shield skin on mine, thinking they might not be so detail-oriented, but the guys at the store near me apply theirs with a spray-bottle of solution Zagg sent them. I'd like to stick with the Phantomskinz product as I prefer their fitment and non-tacky feel.
    I have installed many PhantomSkinz and absolutely love them. If I had to guess, I would say the orange peel area was caused by that area of the skin being stuck to the phone and the skin being repositioned slightly as you squegeed(sp?) fluid out. As far as the bubbles hopefully they will clear up for you with time, I personally have never experienced thoose with PS
    Quote Originally Posted by hammersfd View Post
    I have installed many PhantomSkinz and absolutely love them. If I had to guess, I would say the orange peel area was caused by that area of the skin being stuck to the phone and the skin being repositioned slightly as you squegeed(sp?) fluid out. As far as the bubbles hopefully they will clear up for you with time, I personally have never experienced thoose with PS
    hammersfd,

You are correct. The "orange peel" that is indicated is really not the same as the Orange Peel that is typically referred to in skin discussions. It is definitely as described. If there are more questions regarding this issue, please email us directly.

Guru