Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I received a Jabra BT2010 in the mail from an unknown source a while back, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned about it being unsecure. I've done some searching, and found no indications of it being a problem, just wondering if anyone has heard of any headset-hosted security exploits.
    Last edited by photostyle; 03/08/2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: clarification
    Bluetooth is already insecure, I don't know what more someone could achieve with hacking a headset...

Also, unless you happen to hold trade secrets or are a member of some secret organization, what exactly are you going to be saying on a headset which would really matter wither or not someone else is listening in?

And what do you mean 'mis-delivered', if it was something you didn't order you have a moral (and probably legal) obligation to return it, also you do realize opening someone else's mail is a felony?
  3. FXC
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    If you're concerned about hacking into the RF signal between the thing and your phone, there's a better chance of someone listening through the wall, rather than tapping into the communication electronically.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Bluetooth is already insecure, I don't know what more someone could achieve with hacking a headset...

Also, unless you happen to hold trade secrets or are a member of some secret organization, what exactly are you going to be saying on a headset which would really matter wither or not someone else is listening in?

And what do you mean 'mis-delivered', if it was something you didn't order you have a moral (and probably legal) obligation to return it, also you do realize opening someone else's mail is a felony?
    1: I'm aware of this, but I'd rather not make things any easier if I can help it.

2: I'm military, plus I prefer my privacy in general.

3: I suppose "mis-delivered(allegedly)" is the wrong term. The package(fedex, iirc) was addressed to me specifically, but the return address was unfamiliar, and there was no receipt or contact information inside or out. Nobody I know has confessed to ordering or sending the device over a month after receiving it.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FXC View Post
    If you're concerned about hacking into the RF signal between the thing and your phone, there's a better chance of someone listening through the wall, rather than tapping into the communication electronically.
    It's not so much the signal-catching that concerns me, but the possiblity for the more advanced devices to be re-programmed to perform more invasive tasks, such as initiating calls or sending SMS's without user interaction. Can that sort of thing be done? Given the feature set of the BT2010, I doubt it's capable of such things, but could it be programmed to do more?
    Quote Originally Posted by photostyle View Post
    It's not so much the signal-catching that concerns me, but the possiblity for the more advanced devices to be re-programmed to perform more invasive tasks
    I think you're okay so long as you keep your tinfoil hat on.