View Poll Results: Which is the best Palm Pre extended battery?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amzer SmartCell 1400mAh

7 21.21%
  • Mugen Power 1400mAh

11 33.33%
  • Seidio Innocell 1350mAh

10 30.30%
  • OEM battery from Palm 1150mAh

5 15.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I am looking into extended the battery life of my Palm Pre but everyone has different comments on different threads. Also all the previous reviews are all old.

So I wanted to compile everything in one place.

I am only looking for extended batteries I can still use with the Touchstone back cover.

So I need help on deciding on Amzer SmartCell 1400 mAh, Mugen Power 1400mAh, or Seidio Innocell 1350mAh.

Do you really get the rated mAh with these third party batteries?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Any comments?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I wasn't sure there was any extended battery that could still use touchstone... if so, i'm interested too.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    the seidio innocell works fine for the touchstone
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I think your only option is the 1350 if you have a TS.
    bear in mind to get that rated performance you need to allow the battery to deplete and then charge several times without constantly charging in between. This practice also extends the life of your battery as well.
    I have the mugen 1400 with a touchstone...I voted it best because it's the most power that fits in the normal case and is the cheapest (last I checked several months back)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykimdotnet View Post
    bear in mind to get that rated performance you need to allow the battery to deplete and then charge several times without constantly charging in between. This
    practice also extends the life of your
    battery as well.
    are you sure? I think that will deplete and destroy a lithium ion battery quicker. I think that is true for the old batteries, NiMH etc. But for the Li batteries, they like to be topped up and have charge all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    are you sure? I think that will deplete and destroy a lithium ion battery quicker. I think that is true for the old batteries, NiMH etc. But for the Li batteries, they like to be topped up and have charge all the time.
    Every charge or recharge of lithium-ion batteries form deposits within the electrolyte(it's what plants crave) causing cell capacity to diminish. so by allowing the battery to deplete you're charging it less, therefore extending the life of your battery. I recommend carrying a spare and if you own an extended life battery then you already have one.
    I should also note that you shouldn't let it deplete below it's minimum voltage (though I'm pretty sure the Pre will not allow this scenario to ever happen). There is a risk of it falling below the a certain threshold where they become unchargeable. That's a word I just made up. but yeah Battery Chargers will not charge batteries that fall below the minimum voltage, but your Pre will shut off before it gets to that. Also spares should be stored cold (refrigerators are ideal) as extreme heat also diminish Li-On battery life.
    Wrong. Lithium-ion batteries do NOT have 'memory' and in fact, frequent full discharge and charge cycles are bad for the battery. You're better off topping it off frequently to prevent capacity loss.

Now, initially, yes, you might need to do a full discharge or two to get full capacity. That's because this calibrates the electronics in the battery to the full capacity.
    It depends how you define 'Best' and what your problem is.

If you can't quite get through the day, then a battery with 20% more capacity will fit your needs.

However, if you just need a spare for the odd day when you are away from a charger and might run out if you have a lots of call or use of the Pre/Pixi, then in that case a cheap standard 'OE' type battery off eBay would be the sensible route to take.

I've done the later. I've not needed to use it yet, but it's cheap 'comfort' insurance for those days when I'm out and about.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Wrong. Lithium-ion batteries do NOT have 'memory' and in fact, frequent full discharge and charge cycles are bad for the battery. You're better off topping it off frequently to prevent capacity loss.

Now, initially, yes, you might need to do a full discharge or two to get full capacity. That's because this calibrates the electronics in the battery to the full capacity.
    this is what i know as well...
    I was able to mod my 2600 extended battery back to work with the touchstone, such a lifesaver.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    I have the mugen 1400 with a touchstone...I voted it best because it's the most power that fits in the normal case and is the cheapest (last I checked several months back)
    I agree, I have had my Mugen 1400 for 4 months now and love it and you cant' beat the price, $31/free shipping.
    You stole my thunder! I was planning to post a similar question in the next day or so.

Can anyone provide the price for each of the batteries listed in the poll? I'm leaning toward the Mugen... (I don't use Touchstone).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I also bought a Mugen (~$32) and it works great. Not a game changer the way that the 2600 battery apparently is, but still gives some extra useful time compared to the stock battery.
    Official statement from Palm for battery care
    I have and love the 2600. That along with the back cover made my PRE sturdier. I recently purchased the 3800 with the black gloss cover. This is now my primary battery...I keep the 2600 with me as an extra backup. If your into fuction more than looks....get the 3800....she's big but I can watch 3 full length movies along with other data sensative task..and never have to worry about running outta juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Well, actually...

The instructions that came with my Mugen 1400 explicitly tell me to fully charge and deplete the battery at least 4 times.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast