1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    [EDIT: Included Picture]
    everytime I see that huge sedio battery or any aftermarket battery for that matter, I start to wonder why they can't use the space above or below the battery compartment. For example, the 2600 sedio battery requires a new backplate. Why waste alllll that hollow space in the backplate, above and below the battery? Heck why don't you just make a whole backplate a battery? It's been done b4.

Lithium-ion batteries are able to be made into any shape or size, especially Lithium-ion Polymer. LithPoly can truly be made into ANY shape, and extremely thin. Manurfacoring costs are cheap with it now too. Heck you could probably even make the structure of a cellphone out of the stuff instead of using solely plastic (layer it in between open spaces even).

my question is, why can't they use all that other space? And if sedio did squish their battery down and made it look like a camper for a pickup truck, they wouldn't need suck a huge backplate.

Hey its been a while since ive used GIMP...
    Last edited by imop45; 03/17/2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: GIMPed image
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    everytime I see that huge sedio battery or any aftermarket battery for that matter, I start to wonder why they can't use the space above or below the battery compartment. For example, the 2600 sedio battery requires a new backplate. Why waste alllll that hollow space in the backplate, above and below the battery?
    Why that's a feature! The Seidio extended battery also allows you to carry your lunch inside the battery cover....that is until the tabs break.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Why that's a feature! The Seidio extended battery also allows you to carry your lunch inside the battery cover....that is until the tabs break.

Haha, yes, exactly. Why not use that hollow space and put a battery in there!!
    I'd imagine it has something to do with engineering a way to insert and remove such an oddly shaped battery. Bit of a challenge there.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I'd imagine it has something to do with engineering a way to insert and remove such an oddly shaped battery. Bit of a challenge there.
    Not really. Lithium-Polymer batteries can be "shaped" to fit. It's probably more of a cost related issue. If millions and millions of Pres were sold, it would probably be cost effective to develop a new "shaped to fit" battery. Currently I don't think enough Pres are being sold to justify development of a special battery.
    I posted this same thing months ago and someone said it would cost a fortune to design a specific shaped battery. Also the back would get hot as it would be the battery. Also while it can be done it is not easy to make a odd shapped battery. All reason why you really dont see it. Would possibly cost more then the phone. But still a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I posted this same thing months ago and someone said it would cost a fortune to design a specific shaped battery. Also the back would get hot as it would be the battery. Also while it can be done it is not easy to make a odd shapped battery. All reason why you really dont see it. Would possibly cost more then the phone. But still a great idea.
    I am thhinking it would create problems with all that metal. Is that all related to the touch stone contacts? I'm guessing you can't slap a battery over the exposed metal.

also. Would I effect reception? The battery cases fo iphones are often accused of interfering with reception, ( as if at&t needs a weeker signal.)
  8.    #8  
    The batt's are wrapped in a plastic so no, thats not a big problem. And about reception, i'm not too sure, but i've thought that same thing.

The Pre battery already has to have a special chip in it, which costs a little extra, so a new design in the 2600mha+ batteries wouldnt be a huge jump. Lithium-ion could be used also, not just the more expensive polymer. And heck, if it is expensive, then charge for it. I bet you'll have people buy it. It lasts longer, is slimmer, etc.

I cant wait for a whole phone to be almost a battery, or at least one that uses motion (like a watch) or radio freqencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I am thhinking it would create problems with all that metal. Is that all related to the touch stone contacts? I'm guessing you can't slap a battery over the exposed metal.

also. Would I effect reception? The battery cases fo iphones are often accused of interfering with reception, ( as if at&t needs a weeker signal.)
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    Haha, yes, exactly. Why not use that hollow space and put a battery in there!!
    Many cell phones have the entire backplate filled (presumably) with battery cells or components.

Most of the earliest ones did- for example the Microtac http://www.pozland.johnnydo.com/cell...otac650_03.JPG

A more modern cellphone - The samsung a300 had the entire backplate filled. - so it's easily done - and indeed most motorola commercial walkie talkies - who's battery life is outstanding - have full backplate units.

But you'll notice (on the startac) that the contacts have to be proud on the back of the phone, to match the contacts on the battery. This is standard on full backplate units.

So making a full plate battery for the pre that was engineered to have a standard battery shaped male part, to fit the female battery slot on the phone, so the contacts align properly, (or risk the contacts shorting), and that also fited the phone back perfectly might be somewhat of a challenge.
    Simply relying on the clip fixtures holding the backplate in place to keep the contacts (that would have to be proud on the backplatE) alligned would be too unreliable. Unless the pre had been designed for a full backplate unit - which it wasn't.

Much easier and more practical, and reliable to make an aftermarket battery to fit the exisiting slot, at least in 2 dimensions tho prefereably 3, and to align perfectly with the existing contacts- and a seperate cover if needed.

In general terms - the reason that suppliers have moved away from full backplate covers is that it enables the individual battery units to fit a range of devices. Many many nokia models share the exact same battery. And it enables back covers to be personalised, and replaced for cosmetic damgae much more easily - and it makes carrying a spare battery a lot easier, as the battery is a great deal smaller than the phone.
    Last edited by ianmr65; 03/14/2010 at 10:44 PM.
    My Palm Pre is tweakalicious! - Your iPhone is tweakaphobic!
  10.    #11  
    Thanks for that info! That makes a lot of sense, although it could snap in like the original battery and be help with that, along with the clips, but like you said-cosmetics.

Hmm, it would still be possible to make like a truck camper..

Quote Originally Posted by ianmr65 View Post
    Many cell phones have the entire backplate filled (presumably) with battery cells or components.

Most of the earliest ones did- for example the Microtac http://www.pozland.johnnydo.com/cell...otac650_03.JPG

A more modern cellphone - The samsung a300 had the entire backplate filled. - so it's easily done - and indeed most motorola commercial walkie talkies - who's battery life is outstanding - have full backplate units.

But you'll notice (on the startac) that the contacts have to be proud on the back of the phone, to match the contacts on the battery. This is standard on full backplate units.

So making a full plate battery for the pre that was engineered to have a standard battery shaped male part, to fit the female battery slot on the phone, so the contacts align properly, (or risk the contacts shorting), and that also fited the phone back perfectly might be somewhat of a challenge.
    Simply relying on the clip fixtures holding the backplate in place to keep the contacts (that would have to be proud on the backplatE) alligned would be too unreliable. Unless the pre had been designed for a full backplate unit - which it wasn't.

Much easier and more practical, and reliable to make an aftermarket battery to fit the exisiting slot, at least in 2 dimensions tho prefereably 3, and to align perfectly with the existing contacts- and a seperate cover if needed.

In general terms - the reason that suppliers have moved away from full backplate covers is that it enables the individual battery units to fit a range of devices. Many many nokia models share the exact same battery. And it enables back covers to be personalised, and replaced for cosmetic damgae much more easily - and it makes carrying a spare battery a lot easier, as the battery is a great deal smaller than the phone.
  11.    #12  
    This is how it should look.. (sorry, it's been a while since i used GIMP and i was in a rush..)

Last edited by imop45; 03/17/2010 at 06:57 PM.
  12.    #13  
    just saw a super thin apple battery.. jealous
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Ever consider that the camera, LED light and speaker are on the front side of the device? The reason they don't spread out the battery might involve heat issues as well. The battery can't spread to the sides or bottom part of the back cover because thats where the back cover clips.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.