Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    When I went to bed last night, my battery was full. I know this, because it was doing the charging dance on my touchstone. When I woke up this morning, the battery was completely dead. Phone wouldn't even turn on. I had to plug the phone in to the cable to get it to do anything. I'm guessing this is a phone problem, because Sprint already swapped out the touchstone base, cable, power adapter, and battery cover. They swapped all this out, because I (apparently wrongly) assumed my phone was not charging last week, since it was dead by morning. It seems that it is instead draining the battery, instead of not charging it.

    Anyone else experienced this?
    Last edited by Speedwagon; 02/17/2010 at 08:55 AM.
  2. #2  
    Did you try readjusting the phones position on the touchstone. I'm not sure what the charging dance is, but I've had a few times where its not positiond properly, and it wont charge properly. Another option would be cleaning the contacts between the touchstone cover and the phone.
  3. #3  
    I have. It seems to help if I unplug the Palm wall plug then in again. Not sure why, doesn't seem to be any components in the unit that would benefit from a "reset" of any type. Maybe a static electricity thing??
  4. #4  
    Yes this happened to me also. Until I replaced the touchstone at my own cost. I contacted Palm via e_chat and they told me go buy a new unit. Been 2 weeks and it has not occurred since.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchroni1 View Post
    Did you try readjusting the phones position on the touchstone. I'm not sure what the charging dance is, but I've had a few times where its not positiond properly, and it wont charge properly. Another option would be cleaning the contacts between the touchstone cover and the phone.
    It didn't just not charge, it drained it. I have full signal strength here, so it's not roaming or anything else. The TS drained the battery. I know it was positioned correctly when I went to bed, I saw it charging.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    Yes this happened to me also. Until I replaced the touchstone at my own cost. I contacted Palm via e_chat and they told me go buy a new unit. Been 2 weeks and it has not occurred since.
    Hmm... this is a brand new unit(Touchstone) that the Sprint store swapped out for me, not 3 days ago. Though, I will be heading to Sprint again today, as this is completely not acceptable. My phone is my alarm clock, so I can't have it being killed overnight while it is supposed to be charging.
  6. #6  
    I have seen this once or twice before...and rebooting solved the problem for me.
  7. fredc1's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    When I went to bed last night, my battery was full. I know this, because it was doing the charging dance on my touchstone. When I woke up this morning, the battery was completely dead. Phone wouldn't even turn on. I had to plug the phone in to the cable to get it to do anything. I'm guessing this is a phone problem, because Sprint already swapped out the touchstone base, cable, power adapter, and battery cover. They swapped all this out, because I (apparently wrongly) assumed my phone was not charging last week, since it was dead by morning. It seems that it is instead draining the battery, instead of not charging it.

    Anyone else experienced this?
    You haven't explained what you mean by the "charging dance" I haven't seen anything like that when it has been properly aligned. So I would say if you went to bed with it "dancing", that isn;t normal behavior and you were asking for a dead battery when you woke up. Just sayin'....
  8. #8  
    Yeah it didn't drain it, you were either running something which used more power than the touchstone could provide (possible with a problem in an app), or it wasn't placed on properly so it kept notifying itself and left the screen turned on all night.
  9. jrtesq's Avatar
    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fredc1 View Post
    You haven't explained what you mean by the "charging dance" I haven't seen anything like that when it has been properly aligned. So I would say if you went to bed with it "dancing", that isn;t normal behavior and you were asking for a dead battery when you woke up. Just sayin'....
    +1.

    There shouldn't be anything happening that could be described as "dancing."

    I had my battery drain a bit once when I did not position the Pre properly on the TS.

    Just my $0.02.
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
  10. Queueyou's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #10  
    I set it on there, and it dings (one time only) and gives a single notification of the charging starting. After that, it's sitting there with the clock and lock on the screen. There's definitely no 'dancing'... do you mean dinging over and over again? If so, then it's basically what alex.dobeck is saying, even if it's more than one time. Do you have any issues with a few things in the house acting funky? Maybe your home's voltage is a hair low?
  11.    #11  
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-quality.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-magnets.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...esnt-work.html

    There's even a patch to "fix" the notification in Preware. It's a known issue, and not new. Apparently some of the early TSs had this issue quite a bit. There is no way to properly align it to make it stop.

    And it's not like I just slap it on there and walk away. If it starts doing the dinging, I attempt to reseat it to make it stop... but it won't, not matter how much I play with it.

    The phone had nothing running. No apps, no nothing. So even if the display is on all night, the TS should be able to supply more than enough power for it, since by default the TS makes the clock display while it is docked. Hell, I can run Pandora on the the TS and the battery charges, so I fail to see what could drain the battery faster than the TS can charge it.

    I did take the phone to the Sprint store today, and they did some battery reset thing that is supposed to help the charging dance stop. So even Sprint knows of the problem.
    Last edited by Speedwagon; 02/18/2010 at 03:30 AM.
  12. jrtesq's Avatar
    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #12  
    If it's strictly a TS issue, Palm should replace the TS. It has a 1 year warranty. I guess it could be or could also be a faulty back cover. The cover is covered by warranty too.

    YMMV.
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
  13.    #13  
    More info:

    Went to bed last night, put the Pre on the TS. Battery was around 95% at that time. I didn't notice it doing the charging dance, but it did drain the battery again. About 6 hours later, when I woke up, I noticed the battery was almost dead. All indications were it was charging, or at least the phone believes it is. The battery icon showed charging, and the screen stayed on. But obviously, the phone was not charging.

    I guess I'll have to give Palm a call on this.
  14. #14  
    I used to have this problem until I took the phone to Sprint and now it doesn't happen. Most of the time my battery would be out of charge by morning, but the times that it didn't lose all the charge I noticed that it had the R by the antenna bars, saying the phone was roaming. My guess is that it spent all night trying to find a network and that was what killed the charge on it. My phone would also go into roaming randomly in places it normally wouldn't and wouldn't go back to Sprint network's unless I rebooted it.

    So I took the phone to a Sprint store, they did I don't know what on it, and it rarely ever goes roaming again. I've not had the TS no more battery charge in the morning problem either. Odd, but it solved my issue (of course, I do have to keep the "Touchstone Charge Alert Fix" patch applied because it keeps dinging on and off when it hits 100% charge.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    I used to have this problem until I took the phone to Sprint and now it doesn't happen. Most of the time my battery would be out of charge by morning, but the times that it didn't lose all the charge I noticed that it had the R by the antenna bars, saying the phone was roaming. My guess is that it spent all night trying to find a network and that was what killed the charge on it. My phone would also go into roaming randomly in places it normally wouldn't and wouldn't go back to Sprint network's unless I rebooted it.

    So I took the phone to a Sprint store, they did I don't know what on it, and it rarely ever goes roaming again. I've not had the TS no more battery charge in the morning problem either. Odd, but it solved my issue (of course, I do have to keep the "Touchstone Charge Alert Fix" patch applied because it keeps dinging on and off when it hits 100% charge.
    Interesting. I shouldn't be going in to roaming, because I have full signal strength at home. But since I'm sleeping, I obviously can't tell what it is doing. I did not see the R when I looked at it upon waking though.
  16.    #16  
    Update: I put the phone on the TS last night at about 50% battery. I also opened up Battery Monitor, with a 60 min poll interval. The TS charged the battery to full, then started draining it back down. I woke up around 20-30%, and lifted the phone off, put it back on. It then started charging back up again.
  17. rrscott's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #17  
    I have a touch stone that has drained the battery before. I think it is like you described where the touchstone charges the phone up and then it drains back down. This particular touchstone tends to do the annoying charging dance as well.

    I have also had the case where the phone refuses to charge on the touchstone for any reason. This goes away when I reboot the phone.
  18. rrscott's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #18  
    I have a touch stone that has drained the battery before. I think it is like you described where the touchstone charges the phone up and then it drains back down. This particular touchstone tends to do the annoying charging dance as well.

    I have also had the case where the phone refuses to charge on the touchstone for any reason. This goes away when I reboot the phone.
  19.    #19  
    More updates: Took this screen shot today. Every time the phone goes from discharge to charge, I am pulling it off the TS and putting it back on. The phone was on the TS for the length of this graph.

  20. #20  
    if your touchstone is doing this why dont you just take it back and get a new one. it is not working correctly right ?! well i would return it . if thats possible anyways lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions