Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    So I'm on a DIY kick lately, and am minimalising my home office desk.

I have a nice big solid desk, but on top i have a little thing i whipped up that was inspired by ikeahacker. Kinda like this:

ikea hacker: TV shelf with door stoppers for legs (pic #4 and #5 illustrate it best).

I'm wondering, if i were to drill/dremmel whatever a hole in the underside, far enough that there's a very thin bit of wood (but obviously not visible at the top), whether i could stick my touchstone under than and have the pre charge on the top, thru the thin wood, seemingly magically.

I've got an offcut from the original wood i used, so I'm gonna make a practice hole on that and see if it works.

I know the touchstone will work through a fairly thick piece of cardboard, and in fact charging it though something can actually reduce the bing-bong effect.

Anyone see any danger in this? Does having something in between mean it can like, ignite etc? I know plenty of forum users use a piece of paper, and obviously nothing's gone wrong? Also, the area of the shelf i'd be drilling wouldn't be load-bearing, my lcd monitor's in the middle and this would be off to the side.

If anyone has any suggestions or concerns? And if anyone's interested in seeing the results, i'll be posting them here as I go.

Experiment time!
    Last edited by bennish; 03/01/2010 at 06:23 PM.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    I have put my pre on the charger with the palm sleeping bag on. It charges but obviously wont grip.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    The only risk of igniting the wood would be if your hardware (the phone or touchstone) gets way to hot. Which, would only happen in malfunctioning hardware.

The touchstone produces a magnetic field which is only converted back to electricity when that field interacts with a metal loop. The magnetic field is harmless during normal use.

If this was my project I'd be worried about the strength of that spot. Will it be strong enough to support a random 20oz soda or a pint of beer, an 8 year old banging something to get attention, etc.
    The touchstone is cool. I want to showcase it, not hide it!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    There's no way that having something in between should cause a fire. It works by induction, meaning it creates an oscillating electromagnetic field. Nothing that will cause a fire.

Cool idea, give it a shot!
    If you have the ability to do all that then you should build a desktop. Just take a piece of 3/4" to 1" thick plywood and cut it to the size desktop you want. Cut a hole that is big enough for the touchstone to fit in wherever you want it to be situated. Then cover the whole thing with a piece of Formica. You wouldn't have to worry about ruining your current desk by accidently drilling to far and the Formica would be strong enough for most anything you would be putting on the desk, for as little of a space as it would take up. Sounds like a neat project. Keep us informed on how it works.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I think I'm gonna go ahead - it's solid wood, like the sort you'd use for a shelf. i'm pretty sure it would be strong enough for a can of soft drink, if i were to put it there. no 8 year olds but there is a cat. To be honest, seeing her walk across it and have her leg go through the hole would be pretty hilarious so nothing to lose.

Thanks for the response guys! And thanks for the info about induction, makes perfect sense. I guess in my imagination there were invisible bits of electricity but when I think about it i do remember learning about the magnetic field thing (same as induction stovetops).

Will be trying this out this weekend.

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Sweet, be sure to post pictures!

I'd also be interested in the performance hit you're going to take due to the wood. Something like a %/hour charging and thickness of the wood between the charger and phone.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    so it turns out i don't know much about tools. i thought you could get a spade drill bit that would make a nice wide hole... you can, but they all have a point... so i wouldn't end up with a smooth surface, it'd be like an inverse cone. what tha?

is it possible to get one like this but without the point on the end? or am i trying to change the laws of physics?

http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/wp-c.../spade-bit.jpg

my backup plan is to get a 5cm hole saw for my drill, make a hole straight through the wood, then lathe down the plugged-out piece of wood nice and thin, and stick it back in. that might actually have an advantage, as there'd be a faint outline of where to put the pre... i was in bunnings today and really should've got a hole saw...

for anyone interested, i've determined reliable charge maximum distance is 2.5mm. 3mm will charge but it'll intermitently bing-bong, and magnet won't stick. this is just my pre and touchstone(s), so i guess YMMV
    Last edited by bennish; 02/13/2010 at 05:50 AM.

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    You could try using a chisel to make the hole. It wont be nearly as fast as using a power tool but with some patience you'll have the seamless hole.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Use a Plunge router. take the scrap wood, and router out a hole while adjusting the depth to your liking. once its where you want it, router out your circle in the desktop. Routers arent cheap, and many of their bits arent either, so you may not have one, but maybe you know someone with one.

You could use what 2sslow mentioned as well, but it will be tough to get the depth even unless you use a drill press, plus it still has a point on the end that will cut deeper than the circle. with a router, you have a base that acts as the guard to keep you from going too deep.

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thanks 2sslow that's closer to what i wanted, but it still has that tip - i guess they have to.

thing is it needs to be like 2mm thick! hehe - am gonna go with the plugging idea.

garretq i'm not entirely sure i understood your description. would this go all the way thru?

the best way to do this is cut out the whole and make a plug . Then make ledges inside the hole for the plug to sit on . Then add wood puddy and sand and so forth.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    thanks 2sslow that's closer to what i wanted, but it still has that tip - i guess they have to.

thing is it needs to be like 2mm thick! hehe - am gonna go with the plugging idea.

garretq i'm not entirely sure i understood your description. would this go all the way thru?
    it could go all the way through if you wanted it to. See the black accordion looking tubes on the side of the picture i posted? those are for adjusting depth, so if you adjusted it to where it went as deep as you wanted it to, you could use the router and cut your circle or whatever shape you needed while keeping the depth consistent. you do run the risk of chipping the thin wood, but as long as you went slow, and were careful, it should be fine.

here is a quick sketch i made in paint to help you understand, cause if you've never used a router before, it can be tough to explain it.

router tool is red, and your desktop is black. obviously you want to flip it over so you router the bottom.

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    hey guys

a little update, i've successfully made the hole and the touchstone is now in it, sitting flush with the surface - i.e. now i place the pre on it to charge and it just looks like the pre is sitting on the shelf.

Next step is something to put over the top. couldn't do a plug as the holesaw attachments all have a guide bit in the middle which makes a donut.

fun moment - asking the dude at the hardware store if u can get them without the guide bit, and having him AND another customer try not to laugh at me (he correctly pointed out that without it, the hole saw wouldn't be straight and would go all over the place).

I do appreciate them both having the consideration to try not to laugh NERD!

i'll be picking up a sheet of 3mm plywood and shaving it down a little to 2mm (or preferably, 1.5mm). it's a huge sheet, for 5 bucks, so i'll have plenty to practice with. (I'm not sure what that is for you yanks... 1 millionth of an inch or something? i dunno [just looked it up, 1/16ish])

pics to follow

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Turned out pretty well so far! I'm quite pleased, the hole is very smooth and a perfect circle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    any thoughts? opinions?

*crickets chirping*

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    hey man i think its badass!!!! GREAT JOB!