Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Been having problems with my Touchstone charging. When it reached 100% it would keep beeping and start losing its charge. Nobody seems to be sure if it's software Or hardware related when I've researched the Forum. Some have replaced the Touchstone, tryed the piece of paper between phone and Touchstone and others have suggested the Auto Patch Update that recently was installed in Preware. So I thought I'd do a little experiment. This is the somewhat condensed version of the steps I took to give me a fresh, outta the box Pre.

Used WebOsQI and manually uninstalled Patches and Apps - Except for- DiffStat,GNUPatch,LSDiff,Package Man,Preware.
    Ran EPR out of Tweaks.
    Then uninstalled the patches above.
    Did Full Erase- WHICH CAUSED THE LOSS OF THE PDF VIEWER. I had PDF Redux installed prior to full erase.
    Then WebOSQI to uninstall Apps which got restored.
    Then ran WebDoctor 1.3.5.1 - which gave me PDF Viewer Back. But as a Downloaded App? Wasn't like this before that I remember.?
    Had to run WebOsQI again to uninstall some Apps that poped up again.

I've only restored my contacts and stuff with Gmail just so I could still live with my Pre. No Apps or Patches, as I can live with my Pre like this til the 1.4 update. I hope.

Stuck it on the Touchstone and so far so good.
    I'll keep removing it and recharging it throughout the day to see if I can recreate the problem.
    I'll keep you all posted and updated.
    Last edited by engine101; 02/08/2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Found out reason Touchstone keeps going ding-ding
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Dinging started happening again. Now gonna Dr back to 1.3.1 and see what happens. Didn't have the problem when on this OS.
    More later
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Also.. I tried Palm's test of the Touchstone through Device Info and everything worked fine according to the test.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Now just so everyone knows... A reset has cured this problem everytime. But then the problem happens again after 1-5 times on the touchstone.
    I just got my Pre up and running again with WebOS 1.3.1 - an older version of the current OS - and we'll see what happens.
    For me, the problem appears to be hardware related. Per some other posts I read, putting a piece of paper between the phone and touchstone resolves the problem. I gave it a try and it worked. I have 4 touchstones, 2 for me and 2 for my wife. Only 2 of them exhibit the problem and I'm too lazy to return them, so I just took some black paper, turned the touchstone over and traced a circle, cutout the circle, and taped it to the top of the touchstone. I also found in my case that 2 sheets worked better than 1. I suspect is has something to do with the distance between the phone and touchstone. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Okay... So far I cannot reproduce the Touchstone dinging problem since downgrading to WebOS 1.3.1. I've pulled the battery down to 95% 4 times now and it charges to 100% with no repeating dinging. So I pulled the battery down to 90% to see if anything changed. Same thing. It's working fine.
    Which leads me to believe it's a WebOS 1.3.5.1 software problem. If I remember corectly, 1.3.5.1 had some battery and/or power enhancements to improve battery life. Maybe this affected the Touchstone charging in some way?
    I'll keep discharging - GPS and screen brightness seem great for this - and recharging through the Touchstone throughout the day and post more later.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    So now I've discharged the battery to 73%, unplugged the Touchstone, unplugged all the connections, banged it all around alittle, and reconnected it all back. I've taken the Pre off the Touchstone many more times just to make this problem appear. It's just not happening. Everything is working like it's supposed to. No more ding-ding.

So it's got to be a WebOS 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1 problem. I can't think of anything else I can do to prove this. Any suggestions? I'll be a guinnea pig and try them..
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Another update. Touchstone is working as it should be now. No problems whatsoever.

So...obviously WebOS 1.3.5 and 1.3.5.1 - basically the same - is and has been the culprit, from at least my beginning - about 3 weeks ago. Had WebOS 1.3.5.1 installed for about a week then all of a sudden I had the Touchstone going ding-ding.

So again... if anybody has any other thoughts I can try - remember - I'm currently running 1.3.1 - let me know. Not sure how long I can keep this OS before Sprint makes me update.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I've posted in a couple of earlier threads about carefully bending the contacts upward that touch the TS back cover. In some cases, the resistance at these contacts appears to be too high, and a little more pressure takes care of that.

One of my three Pre's in my family had this issue, and this method fixed it. It hasn't worked for everyone, and in some cases replacing the TS itself was the only cure.
    so my touchstone started giving this problem of the charge falling when my pre was placed on it.it tried th solution of bending the contacts and that seemed to resolve the issue.the day after my pre touchscreen starts to behave weird with the phamton "ripples"(search for phantom and touchscreen weird behaviour on the forums).In the threads with the weird acting touch screens most people relate it was after using none palm original chargers.I am starting to wonder if this could have been the cause of my pre's downfall.The phantom touch screens havent had any solutions besides replacement so far.Does anyone have any ideas about how the touchscreen may be specifically affected by the aftermarket charges or quasi broken touchstone?Just an idea i am putting forward
    Quote Originally Posted by engine101 View Post
    Been having problems with my Touchstone charging. When it reached 100% it would keep beeping and start losing its charge. Nobody seems to be sure if it's software Or hardware related when I've researched the Forum. Some have replaced the Touchstone, tryed the piece of paper between phone and Touchstone and others have suggested the Auto Patch Update that recently was installed in Preware. So I thought I'd do a little experiment. This is the somewhat condensed version of the steps I took to give me a fresh, outta the box Pre.

Used WebOsQI and manually uninstalled Patches and Apps - Except for- DiffStat,GNUPatch,LSDiff,Package Man,Preware.
    Ran EPR out of Tweaks.
    Then uninstalled the patches above.
    Did Full Erase- WHICH CAUSED THE LOSS OF THE PDF VIEWER. I had PDF Redux installed prior to full erase.
    Then WebOSQI to uninstall Apps which got restored.
    Then ran WebDoctor 1.3.5.1 - which gave me PDF Viewer Back. But as a Downloaded App? Wasn't like this before that I remember.?
    Had to run WebOsQI again to uninstall some Apps that poped up again.

I've only restored my contacts and stuff with Gmail just so I could still live with my Pre. No Apps or Patches, as I can live with my Pre like this til the 1.4 update. I hope.

Stuck it on the Touchstone and so far so good.
    I'll keep removing it and recharging it throughout the day to see if I can recreate the problem.
    I'll keep you all posted and updated.
    Wow! all of that could have been done much easier!

Full erase + DR + sign in under a new palm profile.

The reason everything keeps coming back is your palm profile stores the thing you are trying to get rid of.

If you truly want it cleaned then dont use your palm profile, create a new one!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

I have been having a charging issue with the touchstone as well. I reset it and lo and behold, it works now. However, I'm getting a strange high pitched sound. It only happens when I place the Pre on the touchstone. That's the only time it does it. I have sensitive ears like a dog, so this is a bit annoying, but more than anything, I'm afraid there might be a link between poor touchstone performance issue and this sound.
    Please let me know if anyone is having this same issue.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Still all good on this end. Touchstone works as it should.
    I guess really, I was just giving another option as to people's Touchstone problems. Which is kinda moot if WebOS 1.4 fixes it in a few days.

Yeah...I went thru alot to get it clean. But its a learning curve.

And as for the high piched sound...I haven't heard of this. Nor has it happened to me.
    after going through 3 brand new touchstones all doing the same thing...i believe engine101 is onto something....hopefully 1.4 will fix this issue on feb 15
    Mine does this too. The Sprint store has replaced the TS, the back cover, the battery, and the phone. I got the new phone the same day as 1.4 was coming out(got it on 1.3.5.1). But, still does it! It doesn't matter how much I play with it on the TS, it will continue to do this.

About 30 minutes ago, I decided to take the back off the Pre, and put it on the TS by itself, and measure it's voltage. There is no fluctuation in the voltage created by the battery cover, on the touchstone(puts out a solid 5.63V). So it looks to be the connection between the cover and phone, or the phone itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    I've posted in a couple of earlier threads about carefully bending the contacts upward that touch the TS back cover. In some cases, the resistance at these contacts appears to be too high, and a little more pressure takes care of that.

One of my three Pre's in my family had this issue, and this method fixed it. It hasn't worked for everyone, and in some cases replacing the TS itself was the only cure.
    I suspect, based on the wear marks on my cover, that this is my problem as well. I am going to try some dielectric grease* before bending the contacts though, to see if it makes it a more solid connection.

*for anyone that doesn't know, this is used frequently in automotive ignition systems to make a better electrical connection, and waterproof the connection.

edit: The grease did not help, nor did bending the tabs slightly either. I did notice that the TS buzzes a bit while the phone is on it. And it does a buzz/stop/buzz/stop/buzz just before it does the charging ding again.
    Last edited by Speedwagon; 03/02/2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    I suspect, based on the wear marks on my cover, that this is my problem as well. I am going to try some dielectric grease* before bending the contacts though, to see if it makes it a more solid connection.

*for anyone that doesn't know, this is used frequently in automotive ignition systems to make a better electrical connection, and waterproof the connection.

edit: The grease did not help, nor did bending the tabs slightly either. I did notice that the TS buzzes a bit while the phone is on it. And it does a buzz/stop/buzz/stop/buzz just before it does the charging ding again.
    That was an interesting idea. But dielectric grease only serves two functions - one, to preclude an alternate path for high voltage arcs (like thousands of volts), and two to keep water out of a connection.

If you had either condition on your Pre you have a lot more problems than a TS not working right!!

You definitely get points for creativity though. Nice try.

Others have reported the buzzing issue over the last several months. It sounds like something is not synchronizing in the circuitry between the Pre and the TS. Replacement TS's have worked in some cases to fix that.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    My touchstone problems seem mostly resolved with webos 1.4. I am more confident on leaving my pre on the touchstone overnight. (Prior to 1.4 update, my Pre plus discharged completely overnight while on Touchstone and I was left with a nearly empty Pre plus in the morning.)
    My phone still does this with 1.4. I've gone through 2 touchstones so far. Palm really is having some serious quality issues. I left the pre months ago to give it time to mature and just came back to find it keeping me awake at night.
    I got a touchstone at launch day at the sprint store and it always has behaved the same. (Pretty Bad) It will charge for awhile and then do the constant connection thing. The Pre always had to sit a certain way and forget using the sprint case with the cut-out for the touchstone, it hardly ever conected through the case like it supposed to do.

I went to the verizion store today and they had a special on touchstones. The promotion was BUY ONE touchstone and get the second FREE FOR $50.00. They ended up selling me two touchstones for $39.99. A great bargain!

Both have worked great today, even through the sprint case!

Clearly the first batch of touchstones that Sprint got at launch were faulty. My Sprint touchstone's magnetic attraction seems weaker compared to the new ones i got today. The pre syncs up every time i put it on the Verizion touchstones. The sprint one you always had to fiddle awhile to get it to charge (without the case).