Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    So let me start off by explaining my 'ideal' situation I'm looking to go for with my Pre in my car:

Pre mounted on dashboard, aux input out from my stereo through to the pre, power from car adapter to the pre, use pre as gps and entertainment device for my car, and if I can get away with it, 2600 battery on the pre itself.

My issues/concerns/current situation:

I've found the p-bus to rca, and then rca -> mini-stereo cables to easily make Pre the input on my car system, so that's no issue, I figure with a cable clip or two along the path I can neatly arrange that coming from the glove box, so that's done.

My main concern is regarding power. My cigarette lighter is in my center console, and I want the pre in typical 'GPS' dashboard location bascially so I can easily access and see it for either music information and/or GPS. I really want to avoid half assing it and having a wire dangling down the middle like that. Now I can probably snake the wire through, and send it out the glove box as well with some manuvering but I'm not sure with 1) if I use an extended usb->usb micro b cable if enough juice will still run to it or 2) if there are any third party cigarette lighter->usb power adapters that would sip more juice then the standard one to help make up for it (basically i'm not sure of the power-over-usb spec and how long I can go with it to make it sustainable charging while using say full time gps and music).

In terms of mounts I was interested in the iGrip Universal Fit Swivel Mount so that it could also accommodate a 2600 battery but I noted the reviewer saying you have to really adjust it each time and make it a bit of a hassle to just plug in the charger (since the pre has it on the side).

I noted this thread/post where Riebs found a good solution for mounting the 2600 battery, which would seem fairly perfect for me however my car is a 1993 Mustang and ProClip doesn't appear to make custom mounts for years that far back.

If I could get the proper information and make it viable to charge while driving easily I would have no issue sticking with a regular battery and maybe the iGrip Custom Fit Swivel if thats what it comes down to.

I'd appreciate any help in this matter and all suggestions/advice, in the meantime I'll be trying to read up on the power-over-usb spec and see what kind of answers I can come up with. Thanks all.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Nevermind I got the answer from IRC and some web research, if anyone was curious: you can run basically up to 100ft of usb cable with it charging no issue (also, if you short out the two data pins on the cable itself it will charge faster).