Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, it looks as if those leaked pictures I saw were true. The new Jawbone Icon is on their website.
    Last edited by Seedillume; 01/23/2010 at 09:36 AM.
    This is the first dual-phone set I've seen. That right there makes it worth the money if it works.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Nice. I have a Jawbone 2, but this seems like it would work even better. I have fit problems with all in-ear devices, but from what I've read other places Aliph has changed their fit parameters with the Icon. I will have to look into this, for sure.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, I will definitely get one soon. Like Toby, I hope the dual microphone makes a difference when compared to the Jawbone 2.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I had the original Jawbone and used it till if finally broke, then jumped to the Prime. It was half the size and much, much lighter...always had issues with fit and was able get a decent combo to work. Tested it out while in my car with the stereo up on full and the person I was talking to said they heard it faintly in the background. After seeing some of the pics of the Icon, it seems that they went back to the original size which will make me think twice to sacrifice the comfort for the new technology, which I think they did a great job with. Not sure I could go back to that size, will have to see the technology to make that judgment.
    Last edited by DSPKweb; 01/27/2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    the icon is shorter than the jawbone 2 but it is wider. I had it in my ear and received a phone call the icon calls out the number of the person calling you it startled me at first it also tells you how much battery time you have left it uses a micro usb charger. You can't even tell it is in your ear.
  7.    #7  
    Ok. I bought 'The Thinker' from Verizon. On their website it shows it in white or bright grey. However, this one is black. Also, the voice seems to be the woman from 'The Catch'. 'The Hero' from Best Buy was too shiny for me. I will be testing it quite extensively over the next week.

However, I am VERY displeased with one aspect. Aliph is hyping up their MyTalk service/software. I went to download the software to change the voice and control my headset through USB, and was prompted with a PRIVATE BETA. This means I have to sign up and wait for approval. Their website insinuates that approval might not come. So, I can't even download the software or use MyTalk. We'll see how long it takes them to approve my first name, last name, and email address. So far it's been three hours.
    Last edited by Seedillume; 01/24/2010 at 10:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedillume View Post
    Ok. I bought 'The Thinker' from Verizon. On their website it shows it in white or bright grey. However, this one is black. Also, the voice seems to be the woman from 'The Catch'. 'The Hero' from Best Buy was too shiny for me. I will be testing it quite extensively over the next week.

However, I am VERY displeased with one aspect. Aliph is hyping up their MyTalk service/software. I went to download the software to change the voice and control my headset through USB, and was prompted with a PRIVATE BETA. This means I have to sign up and wait for approval. Their website insinuates that approval might not come. So, I can't even download the software or use MyTalk. We'll see how long it takes them to approve my first name, last name, and email address. So far it's been three hours.

Yeah I JUST grabbed the hero from jawbone.com as well. Engadget has a little video review of the MyTalk site...seems alright but doesn't look like anything fantastic. The only thing that I don't like is the crappy voice's. I only went with the Hero because I thought it sounded less cheesy and crappy then the rest. Oh well most sites I have read are pretty much giving it rave reviews so it's not to big of a deal.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I would love to get one of these. Currently I'm using the Jabra Stone and I love the form factor but noise cancelling is non existent. The only issue I may have with the jawbone is I have a beard and I'm afraid the sensor wont touch my jaw the way it's supposed to. Any of you guys have a beard and use this headset or any of the jawbones?
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
  10.    #10  
    Yeah, I am thinking that a beard might interfere with the Jawbone's VAS.

Well, It's been 24 hours and I still haven't been invited to the MyTalk private beta. If I known Aliph would withhold an advertised feature, then I would have been more careful about my choice.
    Last edited by Seedillume; 01/25/2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Look at my picture I have a beard and have no problem with it making a connection.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Look at my picture I have a beard and have no problem with it making a connection.
    Thanks mamouton.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Question... IF anyone cares to anwser it.

Would this work with my PS3 and Pre? Like I could use it for my gaming mic/headset and have my phone paired the same time? So when a call comes in I dont talk into my phone and headset at the same time.... lol
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I love the Jawbone stuff... I really wish they would make a quality stereo headset. Maybe something with a removable second ear piece like the Plantronics one.

More and more of us are wanting stereo bluetooth, I really hate having two headsets...
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    Question... IF anyone cares to anwser it.

Would this work with my PS3 and Pre? Like I could use it for my gaming mic/headset and have my phone paired the same time? So when a call comes in I dont talk into my phone and headset at the same time.... lol
    My understanding is that it is multi point but if it is, it cant connect to both at the same time. You can switch from one to the other though. At least assuming it is true multipoint.
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenovic View Post
    I love the Jawbone stuff... I really wish they would make a quality stereo headset. Maybe something with a removable second ear piece like the Plantronics one.

More and more of us are wanting stereo bluetooth, I really hate having two headsets...
    Well they say they are working on A2DP for this.

Jawbone Icon misses mark again by not supporting A... - Jawbone Community

I think I read on engadget or wired that Jawbone informed them that the Icon would bring this later with a firmware update.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Was reading the specs and it is lighter and shorter than the Jawbone Prime(can barely feel you have the Prime on now) but the only thing is that they made it almost twice as wide. It is less in price than the Prime which really surprised me...usually they would drop the price of the older models as they bring out a newer model. Would be interested to see how it works compared to the Prime.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  18.    #18  
    For me, a headset must have excellent noise cancellation. Also, the headset must be loud enough to drown out surrounding noise. These trump all other features. Why have a headset if no one can hear me or I can't hear them, right? In fact, I will gladly give up comfort and features for a better noise canceling and/or louder headset. This headset is good, but the Jawbone 2, my headset before this one, has noticeably better noise cancellation.

I wear my headset on the left side. I also find that the medium earbud, no loop, fits perfectly. It seems to seal out noise better than the small or larger earbuds. My 5'2" girlfriend needs the small one. All testing was done with a Sprint Palm Pre.

I purchased 'The Thinker' from a Verizon Wireless store. On the Aliph's website, the headset it white/silver with a texture of ellipses featuring an "intellectual man's voice" for the MyTalk app. My version of 'The Thinker' was black, same texture, and featuring the voice from 'The Catch.' The voice was a nice change from the beeps and dongs of most headsets. The voice will tell you when the battery is low or how much time you have left when pressing the multifunction button once when not on a call.

The Jawbone 2 doesn't seem to pick up anything outside of two-three feet. I could drive at 65 mph with the driver side window rolled down and people said the wind is about a 4 on a scale of 1-10. I could drive my 2005 Corolla with the radio blasting, windows rolled up, and people would say that the radio was at about a 3. I could have a conversation with someone about 4-5 feet from me and callers said they could only hear me speaking. When riding my bike 20 mph, yes I can ride that fast, people said it was between 4 and 6. They could hear me just fine. I could eat granola and the sound would fade to a distant 3 in a few seconds. I brushed my teeth and there was no audible noise being transmitted until I brushed the tops of my teeth.

The Jawbone Icon seems to pick up sound over five feet away. While at a store, callers could hear grocery carts crashing about 15-20 feet away. People were astounded at the loud wind noise while driving with the driver window rolled down. They gave it a 7 or 8. Sometimes, they couldn't even understand my speech. When driving with the radio blasting and the window rolled up, callers could understand and even repeat what was on the radio. This goes for music and spoken word. When conversing with someone 5 feet away, callers could hear the other person as well as me. While riding my bike, people could still hear me, but the wind was obtrusive. They stated that it was noticeably louder than my Jawbone 2. People could hear me chomping on granola as if NoiseAssasin was turned off. Brushing my teeth was the same as the Jawbone 2.

The Jawbone 2 hurts my ear when wearing it for over an hour. In fact, my ear usually feels bruised, but it is not. Therefore, I only wear it while on a call. The Jawbone Icon is a dream to wear. I don't even feel it after an hour. I could easily where it all day. However, using the medium sized earbud translates to a looser fit when compared to the Jawbone 2 so I used the hook.

The absent volume adjuster on the Icon didn't bother me too much. The Icon is supposed to be able to normalize audio. This didn't seem to work for me. Callers could make a sudden loud sound and it would pierce my eardrum. Also, notification sounds from my Palm Pre didn't seem to get normalized either.

All of the Jawbones have a multifunction button on the side that the user inevitably presses by mistake. Moving that button to the back of the headset with the Icon was a stroke of genius. I never accidentally hung up on a call. However, I got used to the side mounted multifunction button on the Jawbone 2 and adjusted my habits accordingly.

Reception with my Sprint Palm Pre was the same with both headsets. 15ft or so with a couple of walls between the headset and phone was about the maximum distance.

The short, stiff, but bendable microUSB cable was nice. I could attach it to the computer with it dangling. The headset charges quick...about an hour.

A battery life of 4 hours is the bare minimum these days for a headset. It's nice to know that Aliph shot par with this feature.

The Icon's microUSB charger, Multipoint, and possible firmware update capabilities make an attractive choice over the Jawbone 2. A2DP on the Icon is just a rumor at this point. Besides, necessary access to the Private Beta area to download the software that is capable of firmware update is very limited. So limited that I haven't been invited. Maybe it will be opened to the public if Aliph decides to post downloadable firmware updates?

In the end, the Icon's dual mics do not offer any kind of protection from the wind and only serves as a gimmick. NoiseAssasin 2.5 is a huge step backwards from the Jawbone 2. Callers could hear me despite the extra background noise. Therefore, the Jawbone Icon is still very useful in noisy situations. However, it just picks up more background noise than the Jawbone 2. This results in me having to repeat myself a little bit more and the callers having to live with more noise during a conversation.
    Last edited by Seedillume; 01/27/2010 at 08:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Thanks for the nice review Seedillume. My Icon gets here tomorrow. I'm disappointed about the shortcomings you found.

I also have the '2' and use a custom earpiece, which, while expensive, provides a perfect fit and an amazing improvement on sound quality. Here's the info:

Avery Custom Earpiece
    FrankenPre2!!!
  20.    #20  
    Jimhuff,

I have never seen or heard of those ear pieces before. Even though they are very expensive, I might try one.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast