Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Seedillume, thanks for such a comprehensive review and comparision between the two. Think the Prime and the Jawbone 2 are very similiar in the way they work and the noise cancellation features. That surprises me that they took a step back with the Icon...will stay with my Prime as it works great.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedillume View Post
    Jimhuff,

I have never seen or heard of those ear pieces before. Even though they are very expensive, I might try one.

I have not seen or heard of those custom ear pieces either. Might have to think about looking into getting one of them in the days to come. Is the process pretty simple to complete? How is the comfort of it wearing over a period of time?
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    I have not seen or heard of those custom ear pieces either. Might have to think about looking into getting one of them in the days to come. Is the process pretty simple to complete? How is the comfort of it wearing over a period of time?
    They send you two pieces of goop, you mix them together and press them into you ear to get an impression. It hardens in about ten minutes and you mail it back to them. It was all a relatively quick process and, it's so comfortable, I often forget it's there. The two things that really make it worth it for me are 1) it helps hold my Jawbone 2 close my cheek and 2) it actually amplifies the calls.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Well I got my Icon Hero today and, so far, I like it; my Avery headset fits perfectly and call quality seems better than my '2'. I haven't tested the noise cancellation as extensively as Seedillume.

Seedillume, I just called Aliph and nicely asked them to expedite my beta request for MyTALK. 10 minutes later, I was in. The bad news is, there's nothing there that's functional. The voice apps don't work for the Pre because they require voice dialing. They're having technical issues, so I wasn't even able to change the voice personality.

The one little thing that's really great for me is the voice-caller id (the talk-time left notification is also a plus.)
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Well they say they are working on A2DP for this.

Jawbone Icon misses mark again by not supporting A... - Jawbone Community

I think I read on engadget or wired that Jawbone informed them that the Icon would bring this later with a firmware update.
    I contacted Aliph about adding the A2DP protocol to the new Jawbone and got this reply on Jan 22:

Thanks for contacting us. At this stage there is no plan to add the AD2P profile to the Jawbone. While Jawbone does not support the A2DP Bluetooth profile, if your phone transmits audio through the voice channel (SCO), you may be able to establish a Bluetooth connection between the Jawbone and your mobile phone and play your audio file.

I'm glad to know they are now considering adding it!
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo41 View Post
    I contacted Aliph about adding the A2DP protocol to the new Jawbone and got this reply on Jan 22:

Thanks for contacting us. At this stage there is no plan to add the AD2P profile to the Jawbone. While Jawbone does not support the A2DP Bluetooth profile, if your phone transmits audio through the voice channel (SCO), you may be able to establish a Bluetooth connection between the Jawbone and your mobile phone and play your audio file.

I'm glad to know they are now considering adding it!
    Hmm...that's weird. This is what the Admin said when someone else brought this up on their forums:

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with ICON due to it not supporting A2DP. We hear your request for A2DP loud and clear, and it is something we are working on.
    So big fat lie then...? Well I wont keep my hopes up anyway.

P.S. Also got my mytalk beta invite today.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by jimhuff View Post
    The bad news is, there's nothing there that's functional. The voice apps don't work for the Pre because they require voice dialing. They're having technical issues, so I wasn't even able to change the voice personality.
    Just got around to playing with Mytalk. Seems like everythign is functional now. I just changed the voice on my jawbone and added Dial2Do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Slayix312; 01/29/2010 at 01:17 AM.
  7.    #27  
    Yeah, I finally got my invite today. Unfortunately, I have returned my Jawbone Icon. As per my review, it is a nice headset, but the noise cancellation isn't as good as the Jawbone 2...which is the most important feature to me.

Since callers could still understand me and I could understand them in noisy environments (except for strong wind), most people will find the noise cancellation acceptable. I have this pet peeve of paying more for newer technology and having it perform worse then previous generations.

When compared to the Jawbone 2, I do miss multipoint and voice caller-id. But again, I want it to block sound and wind as good as the Jawbone 2.

Professional reviewers insinuate that future A2DP support is a possible option since a user can download software that can update the Jawbone Icon. Unfortunately, they are propagating Aliph PRPRPR $statements$ $since$ $nothing$ $has$ $been$ $officially$ $announced$ $and$ $I$ $continuously$ $see$ $anti$-$A2DP$ $statements$ $from$ $Aliph$ $support$.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post

Just got around to playing with Mytalk. Seems like everythign is functional now. I just changed the voice on my jawbone and added Dial2Do.
    I'm testing Dial2Do...it's pretty slick, especially listening and replying to emails.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Has anybody used Jawbone ICON A2DP? with pre. I have a Q1 but always looking for somwthink new, better, shinier
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    Has anybody used Jawbone ICON A2DP? with pre. I have a Q1 but always looking for somwthink new, better, shinier
    While it's on the planning board, the Jawbone ICON does not currently support A2DP.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I bought "The Hero". A2DP was available the day my ICON was delivered. I must say this is absolutely the best bluetooth headset I've ever owned.

I'd stopped using my Jawbone II about 6 months ago when I started listening to several podcasts a day and used a Jabra BT530 instead. But after using the ICON I haven't used any other headset.

The noice cancellation is excellent. No matter what the external noise level (the loud stereo in the car or vacuum cleaner running, using the riding mower, etc) people hear me loud and clear with me speaking in a normal voice.

The icon comes with the standard "Be Original" voice loaded but you can choose any of the 6 voices available to load into it using MyTalk. I'm using "The Ace"

Audio during podcast streaming is very good. Music streaming is lacking in the sound quality department but I'm hoping that will change since Aliph is very interested in hearing feedback from its customers.

My only regret is that I waited until I knew the Icon was going to support A2DP before I bought one.

I highly recommend getting a Jawbone Icon. I works great with the Palm Pre.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    While it's on the planning board, the Jawbone ICON does not currently support A2DP.
    WRONG. I'm using A2DP on it right now. You buy it, hook it up to computer and go to mytalk.jawbone.com and there's an update to add A2DP.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    I'm using it with my pre right now. I love the headset. I haven't used a Q1 so I'm not sure if it's better (no voice commands, and "voice dialing" does nothing since the pre doesn't have that feature), but I love that it charges with micro-usb, has an off switch, has great noise cancellation, and fits comfortably with just the earbud. A2DP works fine - not as good as full A2DP headphones with track controls, but fine otherwise.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    I'm using it with my pre right now. I love the headset. I haven't used a Q1 so I'm not sure if it's better (no voice commands, and "voice dialing" does nothing since the pre doesn't have that feature), but I love that it charges with micro-usb, has an off switch, has great noise cancellation, and fits comfortably with just the earbud. A2DP works fine - not as good as full A2DP headphones with track controls, but fine otherwise.
    I'm downloading it now. Wow! It just keeps getting better.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    I have the Jawbone Icon and I love it. It is small but I haven't had any problems with it and it works amazingly well!
    So far I really like it, the volume seems a little low on music playback, I wish there was a way to adjust it on the headset
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    There is! Just press and hold down the button. The volume will cycle up. If you continue to hold the button volume will start over and the lowest level again. Just continue to hold to the desired volume level.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Just received mine today and have been playing with it. I'm pretty impressed so far, surprisingly enough, the default earbud that was on it seems to fit me the best out of the other 6 included fittings.. The only thing I'm concerned about is the volume doesn't seem quite loud enough. I tried holding the button until it went up and tried to leave it on the loudest, even tried cycling down to quiet and then back up and while its fine in my apartment on the phone, I'm nervous that in my car at 80mph on the highway I'll struggle to hear who I'm calling.. I guess I need to get out and try it, but I thought it would be able to go much louder than this.. The A2DP works great but it doesn't even go as loud as phonecalls. It definitely needs more volume. Does the manual changing of volume hold the setting when you turn the device off and back on? Or does it go back to the default level and you have to turn it up everytime?
    FALSE!!! the update they released last week or the week before installed A2DP capability onto the Icon. I've been using it and love it!
    In the settings (when connected to the puter) I believe you can choose to keep the last known volume level. I swapped out the ear bud to the smaller one and now the Icon sits fairly snugly in my ear and gave me increased volume.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Just received mine today and have been playing with it. I'm pretty impressed so far, surprisingly enough, the default earbud that was on it seems to fit me the best out of the other 6 included fittings.. The only thing I'm concerned about is the volume doesn't seem quite loud enough. I tried holding the button until it went up and tried to leave it on the loudest, even tried cycling down to quiet and then back up and while its fine in my apartment on the phone, I'm nervous that in my car at 80mph on the highway I'll struggle to hear who I'm calling.. I guess I need to get out and try it, but I thought it would be able to go much louder than this.. The A2DP works great but it doesn't even go as loud as phonecalls. It definitely needs more volume. Does the manual changing of volume hold the setting when you turn the device off and back on? Or does it go back to the default level and you have to turn it up everytime?
    I had concerns about the volume level of A2DP streaming, too when I first got my ICON. Call volume was more than adequate. After a couple of days I was turning down the volume while while listening to podcasts, too.

One of the podcasts I listen to is only about half the volume of others. Try listening to audio from different sources.

I've read that the ICON does not save the volume settings but I usually find myself having to turn it down now instead of up.

Make sure the volume on your phone is all the way up and see if that helps.

Good luck.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast