Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Anyone?
  2. #2  
    If you mean something official. My money is on no.
  3. #3  
    No, not officially

    Sprint does not sell a PAM (Phone as modem) plan. In the user agreement they state that doing so is against the rules. Therefore dont look to Palm for a Sprint tethering app.

    Look to homebrew. I have a feeling that once the Verizon Pre ROM and the European 1.3.5.2 ROM get torn apart by the HomeBrewers we are going to have a great tether app.
    Last edited by rc46; 01/12/2010 at 03:58 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  4. #4  
    No that won't happen officially
  5. Mrbluepre's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #5  
    Is the bt tethering the same as wi-fi tethering (can I use to surf web?)?
  6. #6  
    its more or less the same
  7. #7  
    no, I don't think verizons tethering will be free either.
    palm users hav had tethering free for many years now
  8. #8  
    Never say never. Remember, Sprint did bring us Any Mobile Anytime.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    no, I don't think verizons tethering will be free either.
    palm users hav had tethering free for many years now
    well the only reason theres no sprint tethering (because we would never install one under the table wink-wink) is because sprint has no tethering plans so im sure verizon will have them if theyve got official tethering
  10. JKTex's Avatar
    Posts
    376 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbluepre View Post
    Is the bt tethering the same as wi-fi tethering (can I use to surf web?)?
    Think about each connection.

    Laptop > Pre > Internet

    Laptop > Pre can be USB or BT

    Pre > Internet can be Sprint Data (EVDO or 1x) or Wifi

    You won't tether to the Pre with Wifi.

    I just tried for the 1st time and BT sucks LOL It's slow but it works. USB is much, much better, even on the Sprint data network.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    Think about each connection.

    Laptop > Pre > Internet

    Laptop > Pre can be USB or BT

    Pre > Internet can be Sprint Data (EVDO or 1x) or Wifi

    You won't tether to the Pre with Wifi.

    I just tried for the 1st time and BT sucks LOL It's slow but it works. USB is much, much better, even on the Sprint data network.
    I think he's referring to:

    Laptop (via WiFi)-> Pre (via EvDO)-> Web

    i.e. using the Pre as a wireless hotspot. I'm pretty sure this is going to be baked into the Pre Plus, so it's very reasonable to assume that the webosinternals guys will be able to implement this on a Sprint Pre.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  12. #12  
    Bluetooth tethering works on my Bmobile GPRS internet service in Trinidad and Tobago.Fortunately my network doesn't block this service.Hopefully somebody will get around this problem guys!more work for the Hoembrewers.
  13. #13  
    the tether app is free but verizon charges $40 a month extra to use it
  14. costas's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #14  
    sprint rep chiming in here.. phone as modem is offered for an additional $15/mo, but not something that's really mentioned or talked about. just tell them to add the code "PAMADDON" to your acct. should be able to use the bluetooth afterwards w/out any additional apps to tether to your pre, i'll be trying it out when i go home tonight.
  15. costas's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #15  
    welp, i tried it out and it worked without any issues. this was via bluetooth without any type of hacks.



    speed was a little bit slower than expected but at least it will serve as a backup when my comcast cable decides to go down.
  16. #16  
    Thanks for posting results. I did not know you can add it for $15
  17. Garett85's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by costas View Post
    sprint rep chiming in here.. phone as modem is offered for an additional $15/mo, but not something that's really mentioned or talked about. just tell them to add the code "PAMADDON" to your acct. should be able to use the bluetooth afterwards w/out any additional apps to tether to your pre, i'll be trying it out when i go home tonight.
    thats awesome. thought that took that away. do you know if that SOC works with any phone? obviously needed to be on a data plan.

    also, id be careful with that, I'm sure with extreme usage, Sprint would catch it and deactivate the line for "extreme data usage." Seen it happen before on the old BB tether plans.
  18. costas's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #18  
    phone as modem is supposed to work fine with any power vision phone, but as of lately they've kinda stopped talking about it and advertising it, and if you search sprint.com you won't find much information on it if any. sprint tried to block PAM usage on folks that weren't paying for it such was winmo users but had simply everything plans which included unlimited data. last time i checked (a couple months back) the PAM add-on wasn't even listed in the codes, but when I checked a few days ago it was there again, so i'm not really sure what's going on.

    i added it to a customers account that had a 450/69.99 plan and it didn't give me any sorts of issues. no idea what sprint is trying to do here other than make more money with their broadband cards, but i don't know why they would pull that add-on from the system and then add it back a couple months later *shrug*

    my friend that uses an HTC TP 2 has phone as modem capabilities without paying extra for it on his everything data shared family plan. it all depends on how the phone interprets the usage. the legit PRE method actually checks for the add-on and blocks you from tethering if you don't have it, but an app that was recently released goes around it and still lets you use PAM without the add-on.
  19. plcd22's Avatar
    Posts
    243 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by costas View Post
    phone as modem is supposed to work fine with any power vision phone, but as of lately they've kinda stopped talking about it and advertising it, and if you search sprint.com you won't find much information on it if any. sprint tried to block PAM usage on folks that weren't paying for it such was winmo users but had simply everything plans which included unlimited data. last time i checked (a couple months back) the PAM add-on wasn't even listed in the codes, but when I checked a few days ago it was there again, so i'm not really sure what's going on.

    i added it to a customers account that had a 450/69.99 plan and it didn't give me any sorts of issues. no idea what sprint is trying to do here other than make more money with their broadband cards, but i don't know why they would pull that add-on from the system and then add it back a couple months later *shrug*

    my friend that uses an HTC TP 2 has phone as modem capabilities without paying extra for it on his everything data shared family plan. it all depends on how the phone interprets the usage. the legit PRE method actually checks for the add-on and blocks you from tethering if you don't have it, but an app that was recently released goes around it and still lets you use PAM without the add-on.
    ok so how do I get that "addon" so that I can use it like I used my Moto Q9c for a year before I got the Pre and was very dissapointed with that being taken away? Do I have to call Sprint and have them add that and if so what exactally should I say to get it without them Charging me anything extra? (I have the Everything Data 450 plan 69.99/mo)

    Thanks
    Palm m515 } Moto Q9c } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } bought a Palm Pre off of Ebay } that died } downgraded to an HTC EVO 4G } holding out hope for another WebOS device (also Preordered a Touchpad and have had it ever since the first day it came out!)
  20. #20  
    I just called sprint & they won't add the pamaddon to my account. They say the can't do it. I'd have to go down to a $30 plan then add other features plus this. I'd lose my mobile to mobile & end up paying more monthly. I told them about what costas said but they said it was no doable. Oh, well, off to do it without their permission I guess.

Posting Permissions