Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I had a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993 and every time I turn the car on, it will connect via bluetooth to my Pre. It functions flawlessly (music, phone, etc) except that every time it connects, it downloads the phonebook from my Pre which takes like 8 minutes for only 30 contacts. Anyone else having this problem with either this head unit or other ones?
    Last edited by Kuasi; 01/12/2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Revising head-unit model name
  2.    #2  
    ** Update **
    I disabled phonebook download on my Pre and the Kenwood 993 still acts like it is downloading for about 8 minutes or so and after it completes it reports that the phonebook is "empty". It appears as though this is more an issue with my head unit than my phone. I will test with a windows mobile phone and report back.
  3. #3  
    I've been seriously looking at this head unit. Other than the phonebook issue, how do you like it? Any other pros or cons? Does the pre automatically pair when you turn on the head unit? I've heard it can be really hard to read the display in bright light.

    Did you have the same issue with the WM phone?
    Long Live Palm
  4.    #4  
    I tried out the iPhone and the download only took about 15 seconds for about 70 contacts. I think there is a compatability issue between the Pre and the head unit.

    ----------------------- X993 Review -----------------------
    Pros:
    The head unit is beautiful and functional. It's color display and face look amazing especially in the dark. At first, the text was difficult to see but once I jacked up the contrast it appears to be very visible no matter the lighting conditions. Bluetooth pairing was simple and works every time and people have no idea I'm not talking directly on the phone when I'm actually talking through the head unit. The rear USB is a HUGE plus as it allows me to connect a standard 8Gig USB stick in my glove compartment and listen to hours upon hours of music without CDs... OR i turn on Pandora on my phone and listen to it (over bluetooth) while I drive home (no skipping!!).

    Sound quality is superior on this unit. It makes my stock speakers sound so much better than the stock head unit and it obviously has enough power to push a very nice amount of bass.

    Cons:
    Every time I turn on my car and the X993 pairs with my phone, it takes 8 to 10 minutes to download my contacts. During that time, it displays the message "Downloading" instead of displaying the artist. The interface, while sleek, is managed by two knobs and is cumbersome and takes time to get used to. The right knob is a joystick; sometimes when you attempt to press it as a button it clicks "up" instead.

    Managing MP3s is on a folder level so if you want to listen to all of your MP3s in random order, the only way to do it is by putting them all into the same folder.

    Overview:
    For the price, (around 200 on amazon), this stereo has a ton of features and is very elegant looking. The one biggest flaw is the phonebook download issue. All other issues are minor and have some sort of work around including just getting used to the device. You WILL have to read the manual to figure out how to operate it... but after you do it becomes second nature after a while.

    Hope this helps.
  5. #5  
    Other units that are often compared to this one are the alpine 9887 and eclipse cd5030. I went the eclipse route due alpine's nickel and diming and kenwood's lack of preset buttons.

    Anyway, hope you find which one works best for you.

    Also, since your concern seems to be phonebook, with the eclipse there is no phone book transfer for the pre yet. But you can dial out or receive a call and save it as a preset (total of 6). that works well enough for me
  6. dbh123's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #6  
    Kausi,

    Have you made sure you unit has the latest firmware from Kenwood? I'm not sure how this is done but I did see it mentioned several times in reviews - i.e. Amazon.com: Joe Philipp's review of Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993 - Radio / CD / MP...
  7. dbh123's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    Kausi,

    Have you made sure you unit has the latest firmware from Kenwood? I'm not sure how this is done but I did see it mentioned several times in reviews - i.e. Amazon.com: Joe Philipp's review of Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993 - Radio / CD / MP...
    I spent a few minutes finding how to get the latest bluetooth firmware. Kenwood certainly aren't making it easy!

    - go to http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/bt/download.php
    - put in the radio information
    - tell it your phone is a Lenovo ET600 (a phone that needs the latest firmware)

    A link for the v1.70 firmware download should be at the bottom of the page.

    I don't have one yet so I can't try it by maybe it will help. According to the instructions you get the bluetooth firmware version by:

    1 Select the STANDBY
    Press the [SRC] button.
    Select the “STANDBY” display.
    2 Enter Function Control mode
    Press the [FNC] button.
    3 Enter Menu mode
    Turn the Control knob to select “MENU”, and then press the Control
    knob.
    4 Select Bluetooth Firmware update
    Turn the Control knob to select “BT F/W Update”, and then press the
    Control knob for at least 1 second.
    The firmware version appears.
    5 Exit Bluetooth Firmware update mode
    Press the [FNC] button.
    Good luck and please let us know what happens! I really like this radio and the Pre issues you had are the main thing stopping me from getting one
  8. #8  
    my Pre takes FOREVER well 5 minutes to load contacts on 2011 Kia Sorento???????????? ***
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuasi View Post
    I tried out the iPhone and the download only took about 15 seconds for about 70 contacts. I think there is a compatability issue between the Pre and the head unit.

    ----------------------- X993 Review -----------------------
    Pros:
    The head unit is beautiful and functional. It's color display and face look amazing especially in the dark. At first, the text was difficult to see but once I jacked up the contrast it appears to be very visible no matter the lighting conditions. Bluetooth pairing was simple and works every time and people have no idea I'm not talking directly on the phone when I'm actually talking through the head unit. The rear USB is a HUGE plus as it allows me to connect a standard 8Gig USB stick in my glove compartment and listen to hours upon hours of music without CDs... OR i turn on Pandora on my phone and listen to it (over bluetooth) while I drive home (no skipping!!).

    Sound quality is superior on this unit. It makes my stock speakers sound so much better than the stock head unit and it obviously has enough power to push a very nice amount of bass.

    Cons:
    Every time I turn on my car and the X993 pairs with my phone, it takes 8 to 10 minutes to download my contacts. During that time, it displays the message "Downloading" instead of displaying the artist. The interface, while sleek, is managed by two knobs and is cumbersome and takes time to get used to. The right knob is a joystick; sometimes when you attempt to press it as a button it clicks "up" instead.

    Managing MP3s is on a folder level so if you want to listen to all of your MP3s in random order, the only way to do it is by putting them all into the same folder.

    Overview:
    For the price, (around 200 on amazon), this stereo has a ton of features and is very elegant looking. The one biggest flaw is the phonebook download issue. All other issues are minor and have some sort of work around including just getting used to the device. You WILL have to read the manual to figure out how to operate it... but after you do it becomes second nature after a while.

    Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much for the information! I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this head unit despite the phonebook problem because of the features.

    Just one question before I make my decision. During the 8 to 10 minutes when the x993 is trying to download your contacts can you still listen to and operate the head unit?

    I was looking at the manual and it mentioned 2 methods of downloading the phone book- automatically or from the phone manually (on the pre it looks like it's in contacts in the menu then "Send All To Car Kit"). I was wondering if you tried both?

    Thanks!!
    Long Live Palm
  10. #10  
    Well I got my x993 and installed it this weekend. I was prepared for this problem, but to my surprise, it downloaded my contacts with no problems. I didn't time how long it took but I have about 217 contacts and it took maybe a minute or 2, then it said completed. I did notice that the first time it connected there was an alert on my pre that said something about was it ok to allow access to contacts- I said yes. Each time I reconnect it downloads again for a bit, then says completed.

    I had a wiring issue with the power to my "booster amp", so I haven't been able to play with it much yet, but so far I'm loving it!!
    Long Live Palm
  11. dbh123's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    Well I got my x993 and installed it this weekend. I was prepared for this problem, but to my surprise, it downloaded my contacts with no problems.
    ...
    I had a wiring issue with the power to my "booster amp", so I haven't been able to play with it much yet, but so far I'm loving it!!
    Great news. I broke down and ordered one last week - waiting for the weekend to install it!

    It looks likes a very sweet unit (for a single DIN at any rate).

    I guess your one really does have the latest bluetooth firmware. You wouldn't consider grabbing the bluetooth firmware version (using the instructions posted above) and posting it, would you
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    Great news. I broke down and ordered one last week - waiting for the weekend to install it!

    It looks likes a very sweet unit (for a single DIN at any rate).

    I guess your one really does have the latest bluetooth firmware. You wouldn't consider grabbing the bluetooth firmware version (using the instructions posted above) and posting it, would you
    Checking the firmware version was no problem, any excuse to go play with the new toy!

    The firmware is v1.70
    Long Live Palm
  13. dbh123's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    Checking the firmware version was no problem, any excuse to go play with the new toy!

    The firmware is v1.70
    Thank you, thank you thank you! Hopefully that will help the original poster work out if he needs a firmware upgrade and me to work out if I have the right firmware.

    I have the X993 sitting in front of me (literally) now - I hate it when things arrive in the middle of the week and I can't play them. Gotta keep telling myself I don't have time
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    Thank you, thank you thank you! Hopefully that will help the original poster work out if he needs a firmware upgrade and me to work out if I have the right firmware.

    I have the X993 sitting in front of me (literally) now - I hate it when things arrive in the middle of the week and I can't play them. Gotta keep telling myself I don't have time
    It's hard to wait, mine arrived on a Thursday. Good luck with the install!

    Now, I just need to figure out my skipping issue with bluetooth.
    Long Live Palm
  15. dbh123's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #15  
    Thanks LocoTreoGurl. The installation went without a hitch.

    The sound from this thing is magnificent! I kept the factory speakers (with the exception of the two dash-mounted ones) and the factory amplifier. You'd never guess they were the same!

    After the install I spent two hours in the car just listening...

    Bluetooth works well with the Pre. It takes a minute or two to download the phonebook but everything seems to work properly while the download is taking place (except for using the radio to dial from the phonebook but you'd expect that).

    Operating the phone from the radio is a bit complex but definitely usable. I suspect I'll be doing most of my dialing from the phone though as the Pre has a much nicer interface.

    The hands free sound is a little thin but quite easy to understand out of the car speakers. Apparently my voice sounds a little hollow at the other end but still easy to understand. This is with the default gain and noise reduction settings.
  16.    #16  
    Sorry it has been so long since I've replied to this thread.

    I'm very happy to see that others have enjoyed this head unit and aren't having the same issues I have had. My head unit did come with the latest firmware (1.70) so I didn't have an update option. I still love the headunit even though it says "Downloading" for quite a while every time I get into my car.

    As far as the issue is concerned, I've tried another friends phone and it was blazing fast downloading but what I've realized is that the connection to the Pre supports additional features the other phones including the iPhone does not support... I'm wondering if that is what is causing the slowdown for the download.
  17. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #17  
    I got the x994 about 3 weeks ago. I know there are some big differences between the two models, but when I sync my pre, it only takes about 15 seconds to download the address book. Kenwood's support sucks, but you might want to try contacting them.
  18.    #18  
    I forgot to post the most important find. I was able to turn off the phonebook download and now it shows "download" for maybe 1 second and then returns to normal operation. Here's how:

    - Set source to Standby
    - Goto Menu > SPCL DVC Select
    - Press and hold the right knob for 1 second to select SPCL DVC Select
    - Navigate to option "Disable automatic sync"
    - Press the right knob
    - It will say "Completed"
    - Turn radio off, wait for it to shutdown completely and phone to no longer act like it's connected via bluetooth
    - Turn radio back on and wala, no more download!

    I hope this helps!


    Speebs: I think I'll send them an e-mail and see what the hell is going on. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Kuasi; 04/28/2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Change title
  19. #19  
    my palm pre takes a random amount of time to sync address book with my 2011 Hyundai Sonata over bluetooth. sometimes it is 5 minutes, another time it is well over 30 minutes even though my contacts haven't changed at all. And the most annoying thing is that while it is downloading, you can't even call by number, so you're essentially stuck fiddling with the phone to place a call.

    Anyone else have a similar issue? i'm not sure if it's a pre issue or a car issue. i guess i'll try with another brand (my wife has a pre as well, so no help there).
  20. #20  
    yup my 2011 sorento and pre contacts still takes like 5 min?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions