Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Looks like Otterbox has created a case for the Pre. Wonder if it will work for with the Touchstone.

Announcing A New Case Series // OtterBox.com
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    From the looks of it.....NOPE!
    I agree with Trekker, no. I have an Otterbox for my iPod and its a great durable case, but too thick for any touchstone type charging.
    how much is it ?
    Looks like a nice case. When I think "otterbox". I think "waterproof", but this one looks just like it is "durable" and probably does not protect the phone as well as other otterboxes. Anyone have a more informed opinion or a better sense of how much protection this might offer (as well as your informed guess regarding what it might cost)?

thanks

EDIT: My guess is that it will be somewhere between an otterbox price and a "regular case" price (since it can't possibly be waterproof). I might be a great case if it is not too expensive.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Seriously needs to be waterproof man.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    i made a water proof shock proof otterbox case for my pre.

palm pre otterbox - a set on Flickr

it is a little bulky but i like to put my phone in it when i am on my bike so it doesn't get crushed when i wreck.
    Very nice... If only you could open it up fast enough to answer a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Very nice... If only you could open it up fast enough to answer a call.
    Or hear it.
    Otterbox makes some great gear but even they can't make a waterproof Pre case. You'd have to suspend the laws of physics to get a case that could enclose a slider phone for water proofing and still allow it to slide open.

This case looks very similar to the Body Glove case without the textured back.

Amazon.com: Bidy Glove Elements Black Snap-on Case with Flat Back - Plam Pre: Cell Phones & Service
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Seriously needs to be waterproof man.
    It ain't:

brighthand.com article:
    ... There will also be an adhesive screen over the display to shield it against scratches. However, because of the necessary two-piece design, it won't have significant protection from water.
    My Pre fits very well in a small Otterbox that I purchased six (or more) years ago. It isn't made for a phone, is just a generic waterproof Otterbox brand box, but it fits and that's the point - you can bring your phone to the beach, kayaking, etc. to use in case of emergency or whatnot. You can't use it when it is in the case, of course.
    Nice !!

Quote Originally Posted by thugpipe View Post
    i made a water proof shock proof otterbox case for my pre.

[url= pre otterbox - a set on Flickr[/url]

it is a little bulky but i like to put my phone in it when i am on my bike so it doesn't get crushed when i wreck.
    Updated - 01/21/10

The Otterbox Tandem looks impressive and hopefully will arrive sooner then later.

I'm not familiar with other OtterBox products, but Palm's Pre slide design will elimate water proofing of any kind and from what I can see the new Tandem Series uses a polycarbonate (impact resistant and firm grip surface in one) shell design for both protection and easy handling.

I wrote Otterbox a letter to get some clarification and they were very responsive:

1. Front and Back Assembly (two part)
    2. Volume and Power buttons covered (I think ths is standard for Otterbox) for protection
    3. Clearscreen cover to protect the touchscreen interface (Most Pre owners neglect this addon and I'm using a crystal clear cover or similar since I scratched my last Pre)

I'd also like to have access to the release button on the bottom so I could remove the Otterbox and Battery Cover all at the same time for system resets. Not sure if this is possible, but worth checking. OtterBox - Not Possible, Sorry!

No clue on Touchstone capabilities, but that would also be worth noting. OtterBox - We do not currently have a case that incorporates a different charger than the mini or micro usb charger but it is a goal for the future.

Pixi, Palm Pre & Pixi Plus cases in the works??? OtterBox - All ideas being explored currently, these devices will hopefully be protected with an OtterBox soon!

Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 01/21/2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Answers to questions received...
    I love it
    Sad thing is that otterbox got on the map with its MILSPEC very protective everything proof cases and now they've went away from that. They aren't making any new waterproof cases and are soley relying on the existing 1900 and 2600 fit mostly everything pda cases to offer waterproof/resistant cases for all cell phones.. They are focusing purely on impact resistant cases. Hopefully someone out there decides to fill the void and start creating waterproof cases that aren't plastic bags.

I've asked otterbox about touchstone compatibility and all I get is the sales pitch its a 2 part case blah blah blah, and nothing about touchstone. So my guess is no.

from what I've gathered from otterboxes limited info:
    crushproof = highly doubtful afterall it is a 2 part case
    waterproof = no
    dustproof = doubtfull once again phone being a slider kinda of makes that difficult
    impact = yes
    MILSPEC to any of the above = doubful otterbox appears to have stepped away from this in any of the existing designs. IE commuter/defender/impact. Used to be a selling point for their protection, only the 1900 and 2600 spec sheets mention any MILSPEC testing.

Seems to me that otterbox is just creating slightly more durable hard cases.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Just wanted to update, otterbox says they have tested the tandem case with the touchstone and it works, but not 100%.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    Just wanted to update, otterbox says they have tested the tandem case with the touchstone and it works, but not 100%.
    That's sort of like saying "She's pregnant, but not 100%."

It either works with the Touchstone or it doesn't. Judging from the pictures, I don't see how something as thick as the back cover will work with the Touchstone, but I guess time will tell.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    This is the case I've been waiting for, but looking at the pics it seems this case will suffer from the same issues as other Pre cases, in that the tabs holding the case onto the phone have to be so thin that they snap off with no warning.
    I'm on my 2nd Boxwave snap on case and 3 of the 8 tabs have come off in about 2 weeks, I don't expect this to last another 2 weeks, much the same as my first one.
    I guess only first-hand experience will tell us whether the tabs are an issue or not. I once bought a cheap $6 case on eBay similar to this design. I don't remember if it was made from polycarbonate or not. Due to it's cheapness one of the tabs did not work from day one. It did protect the Pre from shocks when dropped, but usually the case would pop off when it was dropped. If the silicone bumper on the OtterBox Tamdem case reduces the shock enough that the case does not fall off, this combined with being made from polycarbonate might just be enough so that the tabs do not break. The other unknown is whether the screen protector will be a useful, workable solution or not. I guess we won't know for sure until some of these get out in the field.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast