Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I am considering getting a Touchstone for my Pre. I've read a lot of negative user reviews: leaving the Pre on the charger all night results in a dead battery by morning, audible noises when carging, on and off charging, not charging at all, etc. Just curious what PreCentral users think. Worth getting? Do you have any problems with it? Thanks for the input!
    I have two - one for my office and one for home. I had the "off and on" issue, but then realized that I wasn't making sure it was connected in the right spot. Once I figured that out, both are rock solid. I find it to be great - it's really neat not to have to deal with the charging cover, and I can run a slide show or a fish tank on my desk.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suttoc View Post
    I am considering getting a Touchstone for my Pre. I've read a lot of negative user reviews: leaving the Pre on the charger all night results in a dead battery by morning, audible noises when charging, on and off charging, not charging at all, etc. Just curious what PreCentral users think. Worth getting? Do you have any problems with it? Thanks for the input!
    i have one and didn't know what i did without it it turned out that it's the reason i needed to get one to began with
    Hi Everybody!!!
    Touchstone. Man, the webOS experience isn't complete without it. I never had a problem, the problems people are having are probably placing on the wrong spot. Touchstone is great, just place it on the stone and take it off, no dealing with that flimsy USB door. Its great to, lets you see what notifications you have waiting for you.
    Last edited by LupeValenz; 01/09/2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: ...bad spelling -_-'
  5. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I have one here at my office and I love it! I really haven't had any issues. I you do get one, make sure you can return it or replace it as I've heard that some can have a hardware issue.

Also the back cover is much better then the stock one.
    I have one, it's awesome. It's the best thing ever. And it even works! At least for me it does, I've seen the off/on thing one or two times but for me it was easy to fix by just placing it on the touchstone a little better - the magnets in the cover and touchstone have to align properly for enough energy to be transferred.

One note, I was not aware of, your screen will not turn off when on the Touchstone. This is the "bedside" or "nightstand" mode, just a black screen with unlock button and time - and notifications as they arrive. Some people are annoyed by this, but I don't have the Pre in my bedroom so I don't care.

Touchstone, ftw.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    The Touchstone is one of the best things about the Pre. ...just look at all the new induction charging solutions coming out now for all sorts of things...

(hmmm, I can hear the salesperson now..."Induction charging, It's not just for toothbrushes anymore!")

I have three; home, car, work, and I love them all! ;-)

...wish all electronic devices could be charged so easily.

Cheers, Todd K.
    I purchased a TS charger along with my launch day Pre back in June, almost 7 months later it has never missed a beat. I now have one in my car too!
    I have a Touchsone and really like it.

I place my Pre on the Touchstone every night. The next morning my Pre is fully charged. Actually it only takes like an hour to fully charge from 40%, but I still keep it on the charger all night. I haven't had any problems with my battery. I would say that maybe like 1 out of 10 times I have to slightly readjust when placing it down, but it is not like it has to be that precise. Also, it doesn't help that I didn't adhere the TS to the desk, so it slightly moves when I place the Pre on it. Several users have suggested sticking the TS on a small piece of marble so it doesn't move, but still portable.

Here are the problems that I have had in the past though...
    1. When I first purchased the Touchstone it did the On/OFF thing. I reported it to Palm Technical Support and they quickly replaced it via UPS. The one now doesn't do that.

2. For Christmas I got a Motorola Blue Tooth earpiece that charges with a Power adapter/micro USB plug. I tried using it in the back of the Touchstone and it does the On/Off thing. So I don't use it in the TS because apparently it doesn't supply enough current to it.

3. A couple of times since owning the Touchstone it wouldn't charge at all, but will with Micro USB plugged directly to the Pre. In those instances I rebooted my Pre and it worked fine after that.
    Last edited by SirRob94; 01/08/2010 at 01:09 PM.
    Remember all you read here is problems never positives. I would bet that 60-70% of WebOS users have touchstones. I would bet that 95% of them have no problems and love them.

For me I have 5. One in each car, one next to my bed, one at my office, and one next to my favorite chair in the Family room. I have been using them since launch day and never had a problem with any of them.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I have one at work and have one at home.

Both of them were purchased here on PreCentral. Both of them have the 'Charging' issue when it reaches 96% or more. I don't know why. I've tried reseating, etc.

I just deal with it. They work fine otherwise.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thanks to everyone for your quick replies! It sounds like most people have no, or very little problems, with the Touchstone. I really appriciate the input. Please keep your comments coming!
    I didn't even think there are people out there that don't have a touchstone. I can't imaging removing that usb crap on a regular basis.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    I didn't even think there are people out there that don't have a touchstone. I can't imaging removing that usb crap on a regular basis.
    I know! That's part of the reason why I am considering the Touchstone. I feel like the USB cover is going to rip off any day now.
    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK View Post
    I have one at work and have one at home.

Both of them were purchased here on PreCentral. Both of them have the 'Charging' issue when it reaches 96% or more. I don't know why. I've tried reseating, etc.

I just deal with it. They work fine otherwise.
    That was the problem I had. When it hit about 90-94% it would flash on/off "Battery Charging". I called Palm technical support when I first got it and they replaced it. i have had my new one for a while now and it doesn't do that.
    2 Touchstones here, no problems. The ease of use & convenience are definitely worth it!
    Only problem I've had with the Touchstone was actually caused by a bad USB cable which was causing an issue when placing the Pre on to charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I purchased a TS charger along with my launch day Pre back in June, almost 7 months later it has never missed a beat. I now have one in my car too!
    Ditto!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I have two Touchstones - one at home, one in the car. I had to replace one due to the cycle on/off at 100% issue, but no other problems. I can't imagine not having it now that I have gotten so accustomed to using them. I never wonder about my battery percentage and never curtail my use to save on battery.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suttoc View Post
    I am considering getting a Touchstone for my Pre. I've read a lot of negative user reviews: leaving the Pre on the charger all night results in a dead battery by morning, audible noises when carging, on and off charging, not charging at all, etc. Just curious what PreCentral users think. Worth getting? Do you have any problems with it? Thanks for the input!
    I use one. I may get another one later. Most of the issues I think are related to this is new, and people are not used to it. The important thing is to move it around a little to make sure the magnets are aligned. It is easy to know once you move it around a little.

BTW, 1.3.1 turned the screen completely off on touchstone, and 1.3.5 brought the clock and unlock button back. This is what I like in the office. I have a clock and I can see notification from my phone.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast