1.    #1  
    Hi there,

i want to use Bluetooth with my Pre to connect to a laptop running win 7 and surf via this bluetooth connection (since my internet provider has limited MB transfer)
    how can i do this?
    Last edited by phelan; 01/04/2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    My Tether allows tethering via Bluetooth, USB, or Wifi.

My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router!
    You must have bluetooth installed and enabled on your laptop. I was able to get it to work with Win XP not sure about Win 7.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I think he wants to do a reverse-tether, and doesn't have wifi available to use the Pre over his home connection.....
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I think he wants to do a reverse-tether, and doesn't have wifi available to use the Pre over his home connection.....
    exactly!
    so does anyone has a solution?
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    I don't think there's anything that will do that.

Why not just get yourself a wireless router? Then you can use wifi on both your Pre and your laptop. You can get them for $30 at Walmart, Target, etc.

Walmart.com: Belkin Wireless-G Broadband Router: Computers
    You can easily do this. Well it's not all easy, but it's definitely possible.

First, you should know that you have to root your Pre to do it (it's the only way I know, anyway, and I think it voids the warranty). There are plenty of articles on how to gain access to root, but you can also do this from your phone using the terminal app from Preware. I'll assume you're familiar with homebrew because I don't want to explain how to get that. While you're at it, get the download unthrottle patch, I've found that it speeds things up quite a bit.

Once you have that up and running, type in the command on the MyTether site (that starts with wget -qO- ...etc.). Let it do it's thing and it will install the free version of MyTether.

Once that's good, open it up, go to the USB section and hit enable. It'll ask to reboot in order to enable USBNet, say yes. Wait. Then open it back up and enable USB tethering again, it'll ask to enable DHCP, say yes, and you're done using the MyTether app (keep it open though). You should also be aware that while USB tethering is enabled, you won't be able to access anything data on the phone, so it won't check ur email, and if you try to use the browser it'll say you have no connection. This is because it's forwarding the IP to your computer.

OK, here's the bluetooth part. Enable bluetooth on the phone and make sure that it's discoverable. Then try to add a device on your computer. Allow everything and say yes. It'll add, then right click on the phone icon and choose connect using access point. You should now be online!

Possible errors: if you get the Sprint does not authorize internet sharing thing, then you did something wrong with MyTether. If it connects but you don't have internet access, then just give it a minute and try to load some pages. If it doesn't work, reboot both the phone and the computer, and try again (this almost always works for me).

I've been using this method fairly reliably for a bit now, and on Win7 x64. Let me know how it goes, and if you have any issues.

Note: if you're using anything below Win7, I highly recommend using just a USB connection instead of bluetooth as it's much faster and more reliable. To do so, install MyTether, enable USB tethering and connect to your computer. It'll find new hardware, don't let it automatically search for drivers. Open device manager, right click the the yellow exclamation point one, update driver software, let me choose, let me pick, if you have to, pick network adapters, then microsoft corp, and then rdnis internet sharing device.

whoo, that was long.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    TheGerbilKing, go back and read the thread again. I had already suggested My Tether above but that is not what the OP is trying to do. He already has an internet connection for his computer and wants to share that connection with his Pre over Bluetooth. This may be something that could be made to happen with the use of a homebrew app, but I don't think there is currently any way to do it, that's why I suggested he just get a cheap wireless router.
    Oh, well now I feel stupid lol. Oh well, maybe someone will stmble on this thread later and find it helpful.

That still doesn't make sense though. If your ISP gives you a limited amount of data, then why would you want your Pre (which has unlimited data) using it? I think I'm still missing something...

Anyway, if you want to access the internet on your Pre then yeah a cheap router is probably your best bet.
    web os doctor takes the phone back to factory settings. this will prevent you from losing your warranty.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGerbilKing View Post
    Oh, well now I feel stupid lol. Oh well, maybe someone will stmble on this thread later and find it helpful.

That still doesn't make sense though. If your ISP gives you a limited amount of data, then why would you want your Pre (which has unlimited data) using it? I think I'm still missing something...

Anyway, if you want to access the internet on your Pre then yeah a cheap router is probably your best bet.
    well iam here in a student domitory and have unlimited internet, but no wlan router. but my pre internet from the mobile phone provider is limited to 200 mb (o2 germany) so i thought i could use bluetooth and get internet access at home with my laptop... :/
    for my tether wifi?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I agree with the "Get a wireless router" crowd. It will have better range and be easier to attach and share future devices.

If your college is restrictive about sharing you may need to pick up a second NIC for your PC and turn your PC into a gateway. If you ask around the dorms with engineers in them they can probably get you a NIC for free (we usually have several) or for just a few bucks. The router should be cheap at any local brick and mortar store.

Wall >> PC >> Router >> Phone
  14.    #14  
    hmm well 50 € isnt that cheap i think...

btw whats a NIC?
    See it depends on what speed(kbps) your service provider is giving to you.Its not related to connectivity problem between Bluetooth and laptop.At the same time due to some network problem of service provider is also one of the cause for your problem.Be patient.