Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Thanks mespiff, that was fast! But my problem happens with cable charging. What's that patch in PreWare you mention?
    sorry i got in right after you posted -- i was relpying to the thread above about the sound notification going heywire. -- Have you tried a re-boot or maybe even a battery pull? i have had simular issues to what you are describing but in this situation -- listening to audio book -- through car stereo over BT / fm transmitter --recieved multiple notifications -- too much ram used up takes phone time to catch up when pulled off of TS / charger so shows charging for XXX time after pulled off before catching up. a reboot usually clears this up or just some time -- try JSTOP -- maybe this help keep memory clear
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    Have you tried a re-boot
    Yes, but the problem reappears. Nothing important, I suppose, but intriguing.

or maybe even a battery pull?
    Interesting. I should give this a try...

too much ram used up takes phone time to catch up when pulled off charger so shows charging for XXX time after pulled off before catching up
    That seems a sensible explanation. But the charging icon remains there for hours... One of my "Mode switcher" modes fiddles with bluetooth radio, and sometimes is left in a deaf status, and thus I have to reboot. Perhaps there's also confusion with the charging status.

try JSTOP -- maybe this help keep memory clear
    What's that "jstop"?

What's that "jstop"?
    it is an ap in preware -- it will clean up memory that is held by java stuff --
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    On friday, I had more trouble than a little icon showing up when it had not to: My Pre gobbled 20% battery in less than an hour! There was a suspectful spinning circle in the Bluetooth system menu entry, as if was desperately seeking for new devices forever.

I think I have problems with Mode Switcher, which causes some kind of deadlock in the bluetooth radio. One of its developers told me, or at least, I think I was told something like that. So, after a reboot, my Pre is stable again, but I will pay more attention to what I'm doing with my modes. Not that they are badly chosen, but perhaps there's some option I should avoid.
    On friday, I had more trouble than a little icon showing up when it had not to: My Pre gobbled 20% battery in less than an hour! There was a suspectful spinning circle in the Bluetooth system menu entry, as if was desperately seeking for new devices forever.

I think I have problems with Mode Switcher, which causes some kind of deadlock in the bluetooth radio. One of its developers told me, or at least, I think I was told something like that. So, after a reboot, my Pre is stable again, but I will pay more attention to what I'm doing with my modes. Not that they are badly chosen, but perhaps there's some option I should avoid.
    this is not a mode switcher issue but a palm pre one -- some times this happens with the bluetooth and wifi also -- reboot and it should be fixed
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Thanks mespiff, somehow I made it in my head, that Mode Switcher could be guilty for bluetooth radio getting stuck. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    3 out of 4 touchstone chargers (2 bought launch-day, 2 more last week from Amazon) have the charge/not-charge issue. The newer Amazon ones list Palm Pixi on the box, so they're obviously newer stock (also says "Patent Pending" on the bottom). I can't believe the issue's still not fixed!
    Palm V -> Vx -> m505 -> TT -> Treo 650 -> 700p -> 755p -> Pre -> Pre 2
    Just gotta jiggle the Pre around a little bit until you can feel it sitting correctly.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I got two TSs on Friday. I have just used the one. It didnt have any problem until last night. Now when it reaches 100% I keep getting the annoying message.
    As I just installed Tweaks and the battery percentage patch, I noticed that the battery changes colors when it does that. It's like it goes to 100% stops charging and then just starts again.

I've searched the forums here, it seems there is no consensus. Others say it is the back cover, others it is the cable, others the TS, there are some people saying it has to do with overheating of their Pre etc. Many different things.

The solutions are scarce though. One is the "insert paper" solution and the other one is the "surgery" in which you must fiddle with the back cover a bit.
    I'm kind of disappointed with TS. Although I don't like to leave my phone charging over 100% (and I can take it off when it reaches 100%) it is still very annoying.
    How many people with this problem have a sprint pre -? I have this same issue and have found out that there are two types of Palm wall usb chargers. The large on that comes with the sprint Pre - and the smaller one that come with the Verizon Pre Plus and Pre 2, Unlocked Pre 2 and possibly others.

Whenever I use the larger wall usb charger at home, I get the bing bong / charge-discharge effect. Nothing I did would fix the issue(different backs, phone card method). Weirdly at my job the larger wall charger works great.

The smaller wall usb charger from Verizon and unlocked Pre 2 however works great! Both at home and at work. So I conclude it is some kind of issue with the larger Sprint charger.

So I would bet most people here are using the larger Sprint wall usb charger.

BTW: I have tried 3 different large chargers and 2 small chargers with 5 different TS's the result is always the same. Large charger = no good, small charger = Great!
    i have found that just gently pushing the phone down towards the bottom of the touchstone just a bit actually helps. its a pain with exhibition mode to have this happen. but so far it hasnt failed me.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I'm on Pre 2 EU unlocked, with the official charger that came with it and a "Verizon" Touchstone.

drahgon could you link me to pics of these two different chargers?
    Hi All,

I'm new to the Palm Pre2 and loving the phone, mainly the OS.
    I have a UK UNLOCKED Pre2 with two Genuine Palm chargers (the ones that come with the phone) and two TS.

I have one touchstone that plays up with the constant 'Charging battery' @ 100%.
    Trying all combinations of charger cable and TS, in my experience the problem is related to the TS its self.

I say in my experience as there seems to be may issues with these TS.

But what I also see is if I put the Pre on the dodgy TS in a landscape position I don't see the issue.
    Last edited by mc_wardy; 07/05/2011 at 05:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_wardy View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new to the Palm Pre2 and loving the phone, mainly the OS.
    I have a UK UNLOCKED Pre2 with two Genuine Palm chargers (the ones that come with the phone) and two TS.

I have one touchstone that plays up with the constant 'Charging battery' @ 100%.
    Trying all combinations of charger cable and TS, in my experience the problem is related to the TS its self.

I say in my experience as there seems to be may issues with these TS.

But what I also see is if I put the Pre on the dodgy TS in a landscape position I don't see the issue.
    nice I have a vzw pre2 that doesn't play nicely with 1 particular touchstone. I will try it in landscape to avoid throwing it away entirely. Thanks.
    Hi all,

My issue and solution differs slightly.

I get bing-bong on a Pre3 & TS whatever the Pre3 battery level. The business card fix did not help.

After testing with two Palm USB adapters, a BlackBerry USB adaptor, various USB cables, two Palm TSs, a Pre3 and a Veer, here's the surprising conclusion: a shorter USB cable solved it. Try ditching even your stock Palm USB cable for a shorter one (and forget about any USB extension cords).

My theory is that some threshhold of milliamperage must be delivered to the device via the TS for it to charge at all. At around this threshhold, you get bing-bong. I believe that longer (and/or lower quality) USB cables attenuate power delivery to the TS, hence to the device.

With a long enough USB cord, I could get bing-bong on both Veer and Pre3, on either TS connected to either Palm USB adaptor. But the Pre3 was much more sensitive than the Veer to cable length, so I think the Pre3 charging threshold is higher. (The BlackBerry USB adaptor had a longer cord built in, and a lower milliamperage output. When connected to either TS, it charged the Veer and bing-bonged the Pre3.)

Incidentally, any cable that caused the Pre3 to bing-bong on the TS could charge the Pre3 directly through its mini-USB jack. (The Veer was not so tested, since it has a unique magnetic connector.)

Finally, a speculation: maybe the main solution in this thread -- to adjust the coil in the back cover for bing-bong at 100% -- applies for when too much power is delivered to the device via the TS. My solution, on the other hand, is for when there's too little.

- maxbo

I have been using a Pre Plus (Verizon) for some time and decided to upgrade to a Pre 2. I have had the 2 for about a week now. I love the extra speed and the updated OS, but this charging notification thing drives me nuts! I had the issue when I first got my Plus and had to change the TS to solve it. Since then there was no problem, a couple of years with no problems. Then I get the 2, brand new through Amazon. The first few days with the 2 I was just setting it up and playing around and had no concerns. 100% battery on the TS with no pop ups or dinging. Then I upgraded to OS2.1, the only update that System Updates says is available. Since then I have been having this issue. Considering my past experience with the TS causing this I was surprised that an OS update would start it. I have tried repositioning the 2 on the TS with no change. The battery and cover have been swapped from the Plus without a difference.
    I love WebOS and the form factor of the phone is better than the iPhone or BlackBerrys that I used to have, but waking me up in the middle of the night is not acceptable.
    Here are my findings on this annoying problem:

Three touchstones, one at home, one at work, one in the car. Upgraded from Pre+ to Pre 2. Applied OTA update to get to ver 2.1 of webOS. I get the repeating charging alert once the Pre 2 has topped off at 100%, but only on the Touchstone at work; the other two function as expected.

I decided to try the larger charger for the HP Touchpad connected to the same USB cable and Touchstone at work. Problem went away. I decided to use the newer charging cylinder that came with the new Pre 2 to see if the original charger I had with the older Pre+ was the problem but the repeating charging alert returned with the newer Pre 2 charging cylinder.

Then I decided to apply the "3 sheets of separator paper" approach to see what happened. Put three Post-It notes between the Pre 2 and Touchstone and the problem went away. Here's where it gets weird: I moved the three Post-Its to the inside of the Pre 2 (between battery and the back cover) and the problem still went away.

I'm glad I have a working solution that is tidy and concealed inside the bowels of the device, but I'm totally confused about the physics/electronics involved. I would have guessed that the success of using the larger charger (at first) meant that I was increasing the draw through the Touchstone to the Pre. After reverting to the smaller charger again, I would have guessed that putting paper between the Touchstone and Pre dissipates the amount of draw coming through the charging components. And how putting paper between the battery and the back cover helps anything, I have no idea, because that isn't inserting it between the charging components, it is putting them behind the charging components.

Weird.
    Hey guys, I'm not sure if anybody is still using these things, but after reading this thread I decided to crack open the touchstone I was having problems with and see if anything looked out of place or burnt up. The only thing II noticed, was the fabric insulation on the copper wires was disintegrating and the solder joints looked really cheesily done.

All I did was re-insulate the large copper wires coming from the coil with heatshrink, and resoldered the joints on both the large and small copper wires. I've managed to get through an entire charge without it bleeping and blooping.

To open the touchstone, remove the adhesive from the bottom, remove 3 philips head screws, push out the bottom through the mini usb port. The board is adhered to the rest of the touchstone, carefully pry it off. There are 3 or 4 more screws holding the guts in. Once it is all out, desolder the copper wires, insulate the big ones, solder nice joints, reassemble and test.

I've only been through one successful charge, I'll try to remember and update if it fails again. Let me know if you guys try it and if it works or not.
    Okay, so it lasted quite a while, but it started happening again...Temporary fix sadly. It still isn't as bad as it used to be though.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345