Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    mine's still doing the exact same thing... the only "workaround" that i've found is putting the phone on silent when it goes on the touchstone... otherwise when the phone's at 100% (around 2-3am), it dingdongs at me until i take it off.

alarm still works with the phone on silent, fyi
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    After going around with Palm a bit, they referred me to a "level 3 tech" who is now sending me a new Touch Stone. We shall see whether that fixes the problem.

On a side note, adjusting the contacts on the back of the phone where they meet the back plate seems to have lessened the problem significantly. I do not recommend trying this unless you have a VERY steady hand and a very small instrument to do it with. (I used the tip of a razor knife)
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I just bought a used launch day touchstone and when my pre's at 100% it "bingbongs" at me. My original touchstone never does this, even after hours on the stone. So my thoughts on this would be solely due to the touchstone, the back and phone are likely fine.
    I'm very glad to see that I'm not only one with this problem. I have had a touchstone for almost 6 months now. I've never had any problems with it. However I just purchased another one, and when it reaches 100% it ding dongs for about 10-15 minutes and then complete shuts off. After that the phone just sits the stone and discharges to the point the phone actually complete shuts itself down. I then have to use the USB micro adapter to charge it again.

I don't know what eventually resets the touchstone, but it seems as though you have to leave it unplugged for at least several hours before it will work at charging again.

I plan to return it because the only change I've made to anything is this particular stone.
    I just purchased two touchstones, one for home and one for work. I first noticed the charging/not charging thing when any apps were open while on the touchstone. I could close the apps and all would be fine. Then it started doing it if got an email or txt notification.

It's pretty frustrating since it isn't charging while it's doing it. It does it for me at any battery level. It doesn't have to be at 100%.
    Have the same issue.
    Picked up Pre on way out of town.
    Will be returning TS to verizon tomorrow.
    Son has Pixi and no issue for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I just purchased two touchstones, one for home and one for work. I first noticed the charging/not charging thing when any apps were open while on the touchstone. I could close the apps and all would be fine. Then it started doing it if got an email or txt notification.

It's pretty frustrating since it isn't charging while it's doing it. It does it for me at any battery level. It doesn't have to be at 100%.
    Update, started using the Palm cable and AC adaptor that came with my Pre and all the issues went away.
  8. pbk
    Used to have the same problem before 1.40 update, now the phone no longer makes noise while charging on TS.
    I just bought two new touchstones, one for home and one at work.

I did not get the "bing-bong" problem on the one at home, but the one at work is doing it constantly. That has me convinced that, as others have suggested, that the problem lies with the Touchstone and not the device itself.

I've installed the "Patch" as a temporary solution, however I fully intend on contacting Palm Support and demanding a replacement.

Even the patch isn't a complete solution. The device obviously still believes that it's being taken on and off the charger, as I sit here at my desk I'm watching it switch back and forth from the desktop to the lock/charge screen over and over again.
    Last edited by eXceLon; 03/24/2010 at 07:37 AM.
    I've done some testing with different combinations of touchstones, cases, and back covers that might be helpful, so FWIW, here goes:

I have a Pre+, 3 touchstones (A,B,C), two back covers, and have tried charging with and without the Pre being in the Sprint hard cover case, both before and after updating to webOS 1.4. All 3 touchstones are connected with genuine Palm cables and AC adapters.

The problem I’m describing occurs when the Pre is sitting on the touchstone and becomes fully charged (100%). It will periodically disconnect, reconnect, go “bong”, and drive me nuts. I had purchased one touchstone that would only charge up to 40% before doing something similar. That one I returned.

Before updating to webOS 1.4, all of the touchstones would do this when my Pre was in the case. When the Pre was not in the case, I could get it to work if I positioned the phone very carefully, or if I used the trick of slipping a piece of paper underneath the phone.

After updating to 1.4, things got interesting.

With the Pre in the case, it would charge perfectly (i.e. no disconnect/reconnect) on TSA, but not on TSB or TSC. Of the latter two, I could sometimes get TSB to work if I positioned the phone very carefully, but I always had the disconnect/reconnect problem with TSC.

When out of the case, charging with TSA was still fine, TSB was better, and I could sometimes get the Pre to charge properly with TSC with very careful positioning.

Lastly, I tried a new back cover. Now, all three touchstones charge fine, even with the Pre in the Sprint Hard case. With the Pre in the case, I have to be somewhat careful with positioning, since the magnet interaction isn’t very strong, but it’s not hard to get it right.

So what’s the upshot of all this? First, the touchstones clearly vary by degrees. It’s not an all-or-none issue. I’m thinking of disassembling one to try to figure out what’s going on. If anyone already has the answer, please let me know!

Second, it seems that something was changed in webOS 1.4 that helped.

Third, if you’re trying different touchstones and nothing seems to help, try a new back cover. It made a world of difference for me.
    As a followup to my post above: It took some effort on the support line, but I finally convinced Palm to send me a replacement Touchstone for the one that was giving me issues. I no longer experience this problem when the charge reaches 100%.

The most frustrating part of the whole experience was that the people at Palm support seem to be entirely unfamiliar with this issue. It's obviously not a rare issue at all.

It's nice having a Touchstone at home and also on my desk at work, and just being able to drop my phone on it to charge.
    same here, returned three touchstone chargers to the o2 store before I got one that actually works. Before I did that, I spoke to Palm as well as O2 support quite a few times and they had "apparently" never heard of these problems before. Hard to believe AND ANNOYING!
    Had this issue as well, went through every forum and ever thread with every post about it looking for a fix (beside replacement). Over 3 months I have tried the folded paper thing, bending the cord up, placing just right, bending the contacts, ext. and still always got the 100% notification pop up. Happened with same pre on 3 different touchstones.

Ended up buying another touchstone kit and changed out pucks. Again the 100% notification pop up on the 4th touchstone.!

Changed out the back charging plate on the pre and voila! All 4 pucks are charging as they should. To sum it up for you, only new equipment will correct this problem will solve the problem (for me it was the back charging plate), Don’t waste your time like I did and just return our go get a new touchstone kit! (and return the old one in its place! )
    My touchstone stopped charging
  15. END
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    We have 2 Pre's and 1 Pixi. My wifes Pre would do the bing bong thingie. I exchanged her touchstone back, and all is well now, on 3 different touchstones.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint Pre from work, and it has worked flawlessly since last summer on the three different touchstones that I have. I just picked up a Verizon Pre+ a few weeks ago, and it bongs constantly on any of the same touchstones no matter what the battery charge level. Out of curiosity, I swapped the back covers between the two phones, and the problem moved to the Sprint phone with the back cover.

Long story short, I believe that there are at least two problems in play at the same time here. Number one is a software glitch at certain charge levels. Number two is a possible QC problem, where the magnets or inductive coils are not stuck to the inside of the back cover precisely enough. I'm going to pick up an extra back cover to fix my problem.....
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I have a Sprint Pre from work, and it has worked flawlessly since last summer on the three different touchstones that I have. I just picked up a Verizon Pre+ a few weeks ago, and it bongs constantly on any of the same touchstones no matter what the battery charge level. Out of curiosity, I swapped the back covers between the two phones, and the problem moved to the Sprint phone with the back cover.

Long story short, I believe that there are at least two problems in play at the same time here. Number one is a software glitch at certain charge levels. Number two is a possible QC problem, where the magnets or inductive coils are not stuck to the inside of the back cover precisely enough. I'm going to pick up an extra back cover to fix my problem.....
    Same here. I got the touchstone cover from a Verizon Pre Plus and it is acting up. Already exchanged one and this one works well...sometimes. Going to go back and hunt for a touchstone bundled with a back plate and see if it acts differently.
    I've just received my touchstone charger and back cover from eBay (UK seller), and are experiencing the same bingbong problem when the Pre is close to 100% battery charge.

I've been through the whole post and I see the problem comes from different sources: wall chargers, touchstone bases, back covers, applications open/not open, even the Pre firmware itself.

Whereas some of us can find a solution or a workaround (in most cases) changing/exchanging either of the causes depicted above -I personally have tried with the business card between the Pre and the base- there is an obvious conclussion:

This is not a simple and single-cause problem. We can try to live with it applying patches and workarounds (sometimes really weird, as the paperclips or the business card ones) , but PALM needs to solve it. I plenty justify PALM using a new and appealing tecnology, and we, as first users of it, should be prepared to suffer some problems and live with them...

AS LONG AS WE SEE THAT PALM RECOGNISES THE PROBLEMS AND WORKS TO SOLVE THEM.

I cannot admit Palm ignoring these problems, trying to convince that they are isolated and affect just a small population.

I guess we all are prepared to be tolerant with failures, because we also recognise that Pre and WebOS are almost-excellent products, well ahead of the closed-Apple stuff, and that we wish Palm to be sucessful and continue with this adventure.

I REALLY MISS SOME PALM REPRESENTATIVE in this forum.

Just my thoughts.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I got mine to work by teasing/prying up the two little spring contacts in the Pre's battery area that make contact with the cover and then holding the pre just a 1/4" or so above the TS and letting the TS dictate the contact point. No more dings or problems. Do not be overly enthusiastic with the teasing/prying as you may damage the phone. Just enough to get them to stand a bit higher is all.
    Please read this thread, for a possible solution.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast