Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I just got a touchstone and mine is doing this problem now....but it wasn't yesterday.

We'll see if it goes away.
    Also to note, it doesn't do it when i am playing pandora or something.
    Another note...just restarted my phone and now its working fine.
    I've just got my first TS & back - this probem appears after about 2 minutes on the TS. Taking the Pre and dropping it back on causes the same behaviour (i.e. OK for 1-2 mins. and then the repeated notifications)

Those who have posted cures involving folded paper - could you give a clue about why these would work ?

(edited to add - I've just tried the paper tricks - no better. Touchstone and back will be going back to shop on Monday and described as useless pieces of excrement think)
    Last edited by marshalla99; 01/23/2010 at 01:32 PM.
    It's been a few days and I'm not having any issues with my new Touchstone. Hopefully I'm good now.
    OK - got a new back and checked it in the shop with my Touchstone and theirs. All seemed OK - got it home, and it's doing it again!

BUT - I thought about the paper fix a little and wondered if putting a paperclip on the touchstone might have the same effect. It does - and the paperclip is held in place by the magnets (and it means I can always find a paperclip when I need one now )
    I put a plastic business card between the Touchstone and my Pre, and that seems to be effective in keeping the charge going. It seems like a conductivity problem, but I don't know why the conductivity of the charge would change from when I first got the Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Had this issue with pre plus and ts, I've put the plastic shipping cover back over the ts and this appears to have corrected the problem. Still very annoying that I spent money on something that doesn't worrk correctly out of the box.
    Here is my thoughts about this, as mine does it too. The back of the phone (battery cover) is flimsy, and the contacts inside the phone only just touch the contacts on the cover.
    If the back becomes warm and soft, OR if the magnet on your T/S is to strong, because the T/S is concave shaped, it is enough to pull the contacts apart, hence the on off behaviour.
    That is why putting a business card between the phone and the T/S sometimes helps.
    I suspect it is due to slight variations in the magnetic strength, which wouldn't be such a problem if the T/S was flat, not concave.

edit: no idea about the folded paper inside the phone??

Thats my 2 for the day
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Here is my thoughts about this, as mine does it too. The back of the phone (battery cover) is flimsy, and the contacts inside the phone only just touch the contacts on the cover.
    If the back becomes warm and soft, OR if the magnet on your T/S is to strong, because the T/S is concave shaped, it is enough to pull the contacts apart, hence the on off behaviour.
    That is why putting a business card between the phone and the T/S sometimes helps.
    I suspect it is due to slight variations in the magnetic strength, which wouldn't be such a problem if the T/S was flat, not concave.

Thats my 2 for the day
    not the case with mine...it would charge the phone perfectly fine if the battery is less than 95%..once it gets close to full, it starts doing the beeping....its really annoying, im already on my 2nd touchstone and its still doing it.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    nvm
    Last edited by bimmer007; 02/19/2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: found answer
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post

Thats my 2 for the day
    I personally think this is the issue too. I just received my TS and right out of the box, had the issues with it charging/not charging intermittently. I removed the cover, and pulled the 2 prongs out a little more that touch the cover, and I put a little dielectric grease to ensure contact. It works perfect now. I don't think it's the issue between the case and TS, but the contacts inside the phone and back cover not connecting properly.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Spoke with palm today regarding this issue. I was told that other users are having the same problem and that there is not currently a solution. Palm has promised to contact me when an update is available. I wait with bated breath.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I just spoke with Palm and described how both my Pre Plus and my wife's behave on our touchstones: They go ding-dong once when first placed on, then the big clock appears, then when the phones are about 85% charged, the wallpaper screen lights up and the ding-dong occurs repeatedly every 7 seconds while the "charging" message at the bottom of the screen rises and drops, rises and drops, rises and drops.

The constant ding-dong goes on for about 15 or 20 minutes. (Of course this means we can't use the touchstones as bedside table chargers, which is what we bought them for...and it means that I can't let my phone fully charge on my desk at work unless I want to hear 20 minutes of ding-dongs every time.) When the phones are 100% charged, the sound stops and the screen goes black.

The Palm rep was pleasant enough but told me that this is exactly how the touchstone charging system was designed to work, and that there is not supposed to be any user control over any of it.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Follow up to my post above: I just discovered that when the repeated beeping stops after 100% charge, the touchstone is not silently charging the phone--it is simply doing nothing at all (just letting the battery start to discharge). And removing/replacing/repositioning the phone onto the touchstone brings no result--so as of right now, my phone is sitting on the touchstone while the battery drains.

Now I'll have to waste time individually checking out the behavior of the four touchstones we bought to see which ones need to be returned...what a disappointment.
    My first TS had the problem. It would get close to full, then bing bong every 7-10 seconds constantly. I tried the paper and plastic solutions, also bending the prongs. None of them worked. I took it back to the store. Told the salesman, handed him the box, he handed me a new one (no paperwork or anything) and I came home. New one is perfect.
    Mine does it too. Usually if I just re align the pre to the touchstone it goes away, but not always.
    I had the same problem. Drove me crazy!

I had only had the TS for a few days so I took it back to Best Buy and trade for a second. The new one has worked fine so far.
    When I tried another AC-DC wall unit, which supplies the power to the TS puck, I constantly got the "bing bong" sound. That same power unit could recharge the Pre with a direct connection plugged into the side port.

I suppose that when the power unit can't quite supply enough power to the TS puck that you may get the "bing bong" yo-yo effect.

When I plugged in the power unit that I got with the TS initially I had no problems.

My point being, I think the "bing bong" yo-yo, when on the TS, may be more of a power unit issue, and not the TS itself.
    I went through 2 touchstones / backs and returned them both to amazon. I am tired of being woken up at 3am so I will just stick with microUSB.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast