Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ever wondered what is inside a touchstone?

Here are some photos of what is inside one of mine (it has the continuous charge cycling problem, and a replacement is on the way), including detailed instructions on how to take it apart and put it back together successfully ...

Palm Touchstone Internal Photos

I wasn't able to save the sticky stuff, but someone following my instructions should be able to ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/24/2009 at 03:32 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    The sticky stuff is dead, no?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jean-roch View Post
    The sticky stuff is dead, no?
    Yep, I should have lifted the white plastic sheet first, and the sticky stuff might have stayed stuck to it. But I didn't find the white plastic sheet until after the sticky stuff was off.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/24/2009 at 03:33 AM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Complicated little device. The price tag is almost justified.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I'd be curious to find out if hitting the rest of the big solder joints on the back of that board fixes the power cycling problem. Those choke coil ferrous donut thingies to either side of the USB connector look like they could use a little more heat to me, but I'm not a professional solderer. I did put together a Ramsay Electronics FM transmitter kit once...and the soldering looked cleaner than what Palm's factory could turn out.....
    Very nice presentation. 5 stars. As far as the sticky stuff.... "we no need no stink'n sticky stuff". Men use duct tape....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Those choke coil ferrous donut thingies to either side of the USB connector look like they could use a little more heat to me, but I'm not a professional solderer.
    They might be using lead free solder, which always gives a dull, grainy appearance. I hate it and never use it myself. But you're right, the overall soldering doesn't look that great, which is typical with electronics made in China.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Very nice presentation. 5 stars. As far as the sticky stuff.... "we no need no stink'n sticky stuff". Men use duct tape....lol
    +1
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Very nice presentation. 5 stars.
    Thanks.

If anyone has a broken GSM or CDMA Pre they'd like to donate to me, I'd like to do a series of pictures on taking one of those apart too.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If anyone has a broken GSM or CDMA Pre they'd like to donate to me, I'd like to do a series of pictures on taking one of those apart too.
    Not as fun as doing it yourself but here are some pictures taken of a Pre disassembly.
    Hopefully with your pictures someone can advise/postulate on what might fix the "continuous charge cycling problem" that you mentioned. Nice pictures!

thanks (and Merry Holiday ,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Instead of pulling back the "sticky thing", it maybe possible to drill it carefully and keep in place the most of the surface?
    Attached Files Attached Files
  13.    #13  
    Instead of pulling back the "sticky thing", it maybe possible to drill it carefully and keep in place the most of the surface?
    Great idea. Thanks. I'll be using your diagram for a second touchstone if I ever work out how to fix them.

BTW, my touchstone which is now without the stick stuff is destined for the car mount anyway, so the sticky stuff was going to be coming off anyway ...

-- Rod
    I'll probably try too, just because i'll like to see what's inside my touchstone.
    (I know, you've posted lots of pictures, but I already have dismounted my previous palm )
  15.    #15  
    I'll probably try too, just because i'll like to see what's inside my touchstone.
    (I know, you've posted lots of pictures, but I already have dismounted my previous palm )

You don't really know something until you've taken it apart and put it back together again ...

-- Rod
    yes, it's something like this (-that?, i'm not sure)
  17.    #17  
    Responding to a PM here, other non-pertinent text removed

1) The Logo - I am looking for an easy way to turn the Palm logo 180 deg. I can't tell if that is a sticker or part of the overall housing. Do you recall or have any pics that you did not post that may shed some light?
    I wanted to spin the logo around too, but found no way to do so. The touchstone in my car is mounted upside down.

2) The Ring - In retrospect, do you think you could have removed the top outer ring without breaking the tabs that held it on, were they accessible from the inside? How did you re-affix it during reassembly?
    They were not accessible from the inside. They seem to be glued in. In retrospect, I just wouldn't touch the ring.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I've been tempted to do this my self, but was worried I'd ruin a good ts. Thank you sir...and nice pics to.
  19.    #19  
    BTW, I'm still looking for someone with a dead GSM Palm Pre so I can take that apart too. Disassembly photos for a CDMA device are at Palm Pre Disassembly - a set on Flickr

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Responding to a PM here, other non-pertinent text removed

I wanted to spin the logo around too, but found no way to do so. The touchstone in my car is mounted upside down.

They were not accessible from the inside. They seem to be glued in. In retrospect, I just wouldn't touch the ring.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the quick response! Looks like I'll have to crack my touchstone open and give a look, because I will spin that logo 180 deg.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast