1.    #1  
    ***? Touchstone technology and SprintNav, why isn't there a Touchstone on a cigarette plug with an adjustable neck?
    Can't you just attache the palm car charger to the touchstone? No adjustment possibilities, but that works, right?
    should be one.. Maybe legal reasons of using magnets for restraint?

Or technically not possible.. My touchstone in the car works bit loses connection while accelorating and braking
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I know there is a big thread about what chargers work with the touchstone in the car... Looking for it myself.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's available exclusively in the same place that all of the other Touchstone line of products are including the Touchstone Speakers and the Touchstone Desktop Interface - the Precentral Fantasy Shop.

I'll send my fantasy assistant to pick it up, as I'm sure there's a fantasy outlet here in San Diego.
    Back to square one.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I would LOVE to see something like this...but I'm not sure how well it would work.

It's my understanding that there's some inherent current-loss in the Touchstone as opposed to a plug-in charger.

I've recently been using my Pre with Sprint Navigation on some long trips (my primary car has factory nav...but my primary car is only a two-seater so, we've been driving a lot of four-door rentals the last couple of months).

If I use JUST Sprint Navigation, it works fine on the car charger...but just barely.

If I fire up the media player and play mp3's in the background with Sprint Navigation in foreground...even on a plug-in car charger...I slowly lose battery life.

If I turn off mp3's...or turn off the screen...anything to give it a slightly lighter load, it'll reverse and start slowly charging the battery.

Is there anyone who's using a Touchstone in a car environment used Sprint Navigation on it for a significant length of time (a couple of hours or more) who can speak to the power requirements of the Pre in this situation?
    Its not the Touchstone that causes power-loss, but the charger that doesnt deliver the required power. The Official Palm Car Charger supplies enough power to charge your Pre/Pixi while using SprintNav & Pandora/music player. Its sold in the precentral store. I use my Touchstone with this charger and have never had issues.
    One problem is the charging port in the cars, some don't put out enough power to run the TS charger. I found this out a week ago when I rented a Dodge Charger from Dollar Car Rental. I plugged in my official Palm car charger and my TS would not work. When I got home I tried the car charger in my own car and it worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    One problem is the charging port in the cars, some don't put out enough power to run the TS charger. I found this out a week ago when I rented a Dodge Charger from Dollar Car Rental. I plugged in my official Palm car charger and my TS would not work. When I got home I tried the car charger in my own car and it worked fine.
    I'm sorry but that just cannot be true. The Touchstone draws 0.82 amps at 5 volts, I've had it on a test-bench. That's 4.1 Watts.

Almost every car in existence has a 15 amp fuse on its cig lighter socket, at 12 volts. That's 180 Watts. Even if the car has an extremely weak electrical system, lets say for whatever reason it is terrible and can only provide 5 amps. That's still 60 Watts of power.

The conversion from 12 Volts to 5 Volts is typically very efficient because of the switching-mode power supplies inside the cig-lighter adapters. When powered from a 12V source, my setup still drew only 1/2 amp at 12 Volts.

I'll post a pic of my "carstone" in a thread soon, silly image post count limit.
    I'm sorry but that just cannot be true. The Touchstone draws 0.82 amps at 5 volts, I've had it on a test-bench. That's 4.1 Watts.

It is true, it's been posted in other threads too.