Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    just got my touchstone and i already have a ebay micro usb. i trimmed down the extra plastic so it would fit in the ts, but it still would not charge correctly, (would charge/uncharge/charge/uncharge/charge/uncharge rapidly). i remember reading something about the cable needing to be up to new power delivery standards......so i'm wondering if my cable is to crappy to work.

any advice on other cable you know will work with the ts would be greatly appreciated.
    I think, from the other threads, that you need to make sure the transformer is providing enough power, and that some of the pins are shorted out (sort of a semi-official standard for high-power usb?). There are a few threads on this issue.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    can u direct me to some of threads, i wasnt able to find them
    I purchased a generic USB wall charger at Radio Shack to put in my travel bag and it does not provide enough power for my TS, going to take it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    I think, from the other threads, that you need to make sure the transformer is providing enough power, and that some of the pins are shorted out (sort of a semi-official standard for high-power usb?). There are a few threads on this issue.
    It's an official standard according to:

Wikipedia - Universal Serial Bus - Mobile device charger standards

What this means for your Touchstone is that the charger has to be able to supply 1A of current at 5V and have the D+ and D- lines (carried on the green and white wires of the USB cable) shorted together. If the charger meets the current specification but does not short those pins you can open up your cable and short them manually, but keep in mind that you will not be able to use the modified cable to connect your Pre to a computer anymore...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i am pretty technically inclined, but that was gibberish to me, sorry.

could someone please just post a link to a reasonable price usb cable that will work with my touchstone.
    Sorry, just re-read this thread from the top. Your safest bet would be to use the USB cable and wall adapter adapter that came with your Touchstone. If you got just the Touchstone by itself without an included cable and adapter, then use the cable and adapter that came with your Pre for the Touchstone and use the eBay cable for connecting to computers.

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    that is what i am doing in the mean time, but i would like to have a work and home touchstone. i have 2 wall adapters, 2 touchstones and 1 usb cord, just need the missing link.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSuby View Post
    that is what i am doing in the mean time, but i would like to have a work and home touchstone. i have 2 wall adapters, 2 touchstones and 1 usb cord, just need the missing link.....
    Hmmm, if the wall adapter is the Palm one it has the 'data short' built into it and should work with any USB cable that physically fits into the back of the Touchstone.

The only gotcha I can think of with that might be if the cable has really light gauge power wires (skinnier wires) with too much internal resistance, causing a drop in the voltage on it's way to the Touchstone to the point that the TS doesn't get enough power to work its magic. Don't know if that scenario is real or imagined though...