Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My touchstone dings every 15 sec after battery reaches 100%. Called Palm and they had me go through diagnostics, etc. Things checked out OK, but continued to have this problem. From reading other posts it seemed mine was bad. Today I got my second Pre (because of a usb stress crack) and also received a new touchstone and back.
    The touchstone still does this after 100% charge! The only thing that is still original is the battery. Has Palm or anyone figured out what is going on? This is really a drag.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Happens to me too. It's the actual puck, mine stops beeping if i put a piece of paper in between the puck and the pre. Horrible fix i know... but it works for me.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I thought it was me. The Sprint store yesterday gave me 3 new touchstone pucks (I own 3) to see if a new puck would stop this and no such luck. All 3 pucks and I still cannot charge the phone via touchstone

My problem started with the 100% behavior but now it simply cycles through a charge/no charge state and the thing "dings" constantly while it cycles.

Tried all the tips Palm suggest, reset, pull battery, interactive tests, reset back, even a slip of paper. I can find spots where the phone sticks but no charging but in any position where charging begins, it always now cycles on and off. I'm unable to find a spot on the touchstone that charges the phone like t did for months with no problems.

Have no idea what changed and its annoying.
  4.    #4  
    I wonder what percentage of people are having this problem? It would seem to be a pretty big deal - this technology doesn't seem to be working. Is Palm addressing this?
    Have you tried making sure you have a 'heavy duty' connection cord? I had to buy a higher quality connection but it solved this issue.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    If by "connection cord" you mean the usb power adapter, all 3 of mine are Palm originals that work just fine when plugged into the phone.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    My phone lives on the Touchstone during work day when I working at my desk and I have not heard any tones when phone is fully charged. The only time I do get beeps is when I put the Pre on the stone in the wrong place, but just moving it to the sweet spot stops the beeping. The two units I have were bought when the Pre just came out and Palm may have made modifications to the newer Touchstones.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Like resturg, my Pre used to live on a Touchstone all day at work until it stopped charging. My Pre and Touchstones are all from June (well, the pucks were just replaced yesterday but that didn't chage anything).

If I knew anyone else with Pre I could see if they can charge on my Touchstones and see just what is "broken", the Touchstone or my phone.

But where I could just pop the phone onto the touchstone and it'd stick and charge now I can fiddle and fiddle and not find a spot where it's charge without cycling on and off.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Have you checked how well the contacts are touching the touchstone backshell of the Pre? If they don't make good contact, it's a high resistance point and can cause the on/off syndrome (not the only thing that can cause it, but one of them).

My wife's Pre had this problem until I slightly bent the contacts up and made better contact. Not a problem since then.

(These contacts carry the charging current from the coil of the backshell to the internal charging circuit in the main Pre circuitry)
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    jp99

Tried that and so far it works; the unit is charging at my desk for the first time in days successfully. I used a business card to slightly open the contacts up and so far it seems to have done the trick.

Frankly, even though I've had the back off a lot I never noticed the contacts or else forgot they were there.
  11.    #11  
    I also lifted the contacts up VERY gingerly and it isn't dinging after 100% ! These contact are on the phone, the ones on the back cover can't be moved. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.
  12.    #12  
    Well that didn't last long. It started dinging again. I even tried a piece of paper which was suggested above - but no luck. Could it be triggered by a heat related thing?
    Whatever it is, the touchstone is not usable after the battery reaches 100%, which means you can't leave it on the touchstone all night or for any long periods of time.
    Not sure what to do now.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Sorry that didn't work but my issue resolved completely and it's been on the touchstone at 100% all night and no dinging, plus it picks right up on the sweet spot and charges like a champ.

All because somehow those contacts were no longer making contact with the charging back.

Hopefully the fix for yours will be as simple.
    When charging on the touchstone my pre was cycling around to indicate battery charging and making a corresponding sound. At 100% charge it was continuous cycling. This could not be the proper operation for the pre and touchstone.

Looking for a solution it seems others also have this problem as well. On one website, I found someone with a suggested fix that works. It also perhaps suggests to the techies what is the cause so Palm can fix this problem. Anyway, the fix is to place a piece of paper folded so that it is four sheets thick between the pre and the touchstone unit. With that additional spacing/separation/insulation the pre seems to charge without a problem on the touchstone. Now the touchstone works as advertised.

I am currently experimenting with placing the paper inside the cover over the battery so that I don't have to position a folded sheet of paper each time. This has yet to work but I will keep experimenting.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also how can we get this type of feedback to Palm? Text chat with their technical support was less than satisfying.
    Our family has a total of 4 TS chargers and this has never happened.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I have 3 touchstones. 1 of them is in my car. I own the Pre and Pixi, and all 3 touchstones worked perfectly with my pre, however 1 touchstone that is in my office experienced the cycling issue with the Pixi only. I tried a different ts back on the pixi and it didn't help. In my case it was DEFINITELY the touchstone itself.
    I tried fixing this problem by moving one of the coils inside the touchstone slightly. Didn't fix it. Will try the other coil over the next couple of days.

But I did take lots of photos of the surgery:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-surgery.html

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    The problem began for me when I bought one of the Sprint cases that has a circular depression on the back to allow it to be placed on the touchstone. I found a patch for this problem, but then it quit working alltogether. Removing the patch got it going again.

I then applied the patch that turns off the sound while charging and that seems to have partially solved the problem.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Evo
  19.    #19  
    It looks like I am still getting the continual notifications after reaching 100% charge on the touchstone. Did the update fix this problem for anyone?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I had the same issue and returned my TS to Amazon.They sent me a new one. It seems to be working fine now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast