1.    #1  
    I don't know how to upload photos, but if people are interested I can figure it out. the install took me a few hours mostly due to me figuring out where to put things. I have a mazda 3 and there is not a lot of room behind the radio for all the cables and stuff, and I was kinda figuring stuff out as I went along. I have no doubt that for someone knowing what they were doing it would be a much faster install. However, for the people that may not have a lot of experience, it's not that hard. It just requires a little patience.

Just some info of the install itself. I wanted both ipod and stereo bluetooth in the car. The total for the install was 150 dollars. That was 50 for a touchstone charger, 50 for the t605, and then another 50 for the adapter harness. The t605 comes with a device called the drive and talk. It's a custom harness that allows the t605 to cut off the radio signal. I wanted to say that part straight up because most people don't know that the machine comes with the drive and talk and assumes they have to buy their own, which can be quite costly. I think I saw one for 150 once, which means that the part alone is worth the whole setup if bought separately. I then had to buy a harness adaptor to connect the drive and play to the specific connectors on the back of my radio. All this was because I really didn't feel like splicing. It can get really cumbersome IMO to splice and I can get lazy. If you have no problem with splicing you can save 50 bucks on the harness adapter.

Anyway, this is connected to an aux port in my car for the music, which the t605 uses for the stereo bluetooth music. The 605 also has an aux port of it's own, which I used to install a harman kardon drive and play which I had lying around. It controls the ipod very well.

The rest I can say is I guess just a review for the machine itself which if I can sum it up in one word would actually be perfect. It has incredibly good audio quality, both though stereo bluetooth and as a passthrough. My car has a really bad ground loop issue but this thing for the most part is somehow able to nulify most of it which I consider amazing. I'm getting a high quality GL isolator eventually but honestly the setup doesn't need it.

With call quality, It has a very very good noise cancellation software built it. I've driven on the highway at 80 miles an hour and people tell me they only hear my voice. The calls actually do not go through the aux jack of the car. The moto has it's own built in amplifier that runs the front speakers. When a call comes in, the moto will mute the radio, no matter what it's playing, whether it be your ipod, the radio, or a cd, and power the front speakers on it's own. Works very very well.

As far as multiple sources go the machine will auto switch between the two sources it has access to when playing music. It will always prefer bluetooth over it's aux jack but if bluetooth isn't playing but the ipod is, it will auto switch to the ipod. This comes in handy when using sprint navigation. You can have your ipod playing, and then once the software needs to give directions, it will switch to that fast enough that usually you only miss the "go" part of the schpeal that it always says and then the second it's done talking it goes right back to the ipod. Very very cool. The aux jack pass through sounds just as good as my aux jack always did. I notice no drop in audio quality with the moto as a pass through. In fact, since I don't need my cheap Ground loop isolator anymore, the audio is actually a little better.

Bluetooth audio sounds fantastic. Maybe it's just that I'm not an 'audiophile' but then again most of those people are the nuts that think that if you buy the more expensive HDMI cable that you will notice a difference in quality, but I digress. Pandora sounds as good as it always does, which for me is quite nice. I know a lot of people have been complaining that recently it's dropped badly in quality, but I've noticed no issues. Although I never really use the music app on the phone, due to having an ipod in the car, the music stored on the device also comes through crystal clear, and you can even do basic audio controls with the t605 directly, like pause the music and change tracks. If you want that means that you can just leave your phone in your pocket and the moto will control the music for you. When a call comes in, it will automatically pause your music player. It will not pause pandora. It has no control over that program. You have to control that yourselves. Also obviously, it can't control any device you have plugged into it's aux jack. That's just a pass through to how it connects to the radio for music.

It also has a feature that it can route the voice controls of your phone through the device, but the pre has no voice controls so I can't give an opinion on how well that works. My mother has a Blackberry tour. It has voice control. Maybe one day I'll try it with that device.

My only gripe with the device is a very minor one, and that's startup. It takes about 15-20 seconds for the device to activate and in that time it will make 5 separate beeps as the machine turns on. Theses are simply the prompts it is making as the device turns on. If you have a device plugged into the moto aux jack, it will cut in and out as the device turns on. It's a very minor problem, and considering everything this device does, and how well it does it, I honestly don't care at all.

Overall rating I give this device is a 9.5 out of 10 only because of that startup noise. It's not perfect, but it's really close. If you want pictures of the install just let me know.
    Last edited by dz1262; 12/12/2009 at 10:42 AM.
    Yes I would very much appreciate pictures.
    not to be mean but it sounds like adding a well placed bandaid. For 100 bucks or so you can get a new radio that will do most of what you just mentioned.

don't get me wrong I was interested in these @ one time, but losing 60x4, 5 band EQ, timing adjustment was jsu never worth it. And having 2 amps sucking up juice does not make sense.

in the units defense I have not seen any units that will switch between 2 units like that though.

btw yes I am an audiophile, and have a 6 dollar HDMI cable

all in all it sounds like the solution works for you and that you are happy with it. Best wishes and happy holidays

p.s. Well written review
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    not to be mean but it sounds like adding a well placed bandaid. For 100 bucks or so you can get a new radio that will do most of what you just mentioned.
    There was an article in the news a few days ago saying that aftermarket head unit sales numbers are in the crapper, because people are satisfied with the current factory stereo offerings with aux inputs for portable music players. Sounds like your opinion is in the minority. Also, keep in mind that some people lease their vehicles, and cutting wiring harnesses or hacking dash boards is a no-no. Not to mention some cars are coming with stereos that aren't standard DIN sizes, like the OP's Mazda 3. Car Stereo, Front and Rear Speaker Removal For Mazda 3, Car Audio Installation, Car Stereo Front Speaker Removeing Guide

I have a T-605 patched into the aux input of my pickup's factory stereo, and believe it or not music playing via bluetooth sounds noticeably better than when I plug the Pre in directly via the same aux port! Simple to use, and well worth the $50 or so that it cost be at Best Buy last summer.....
    for people who lease cars, or the ''not th standard dinsize'' well that's why metra, scosche, and many others exist. There is also no cutting wires or holes in dash boards with the right equipment. I've never seen a factory radio hardwired, they all have molex or din plugs of a sort and the aftermarket comunity makes the cables. Give me a quality aftermarket deck anyday, then again I'm biased. I've built booth cars, and competed/ helped friends out competing for years in most classes of competition. (sound quality and spl)

not to say adding to factory decks is a bad thing, they are much better quality than crap eq, like most of the things walmart sells. Audio companies always have up and downs. When someone buys a quality deck and like it it often out lasts their vehicle, keeping the deck and putting it in the next car and so on. Heck I've got an alpine cd I bought for my 89mr2 in 93 and still works perfect and sounds great, but I really want the usb and sirius setup similar I have in my truck so I will be buying a new one.
    Last edited by toyotast165; 12/20/2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: damn touch screen
    Palm prē-ist.
    like I said its still a bandaid. The amp on the HU will have much cleaner powe in most cases while t605 will have to interrupt the source playing (not pausing) to deliver sound.

radio sales are down for other reasons as well, people not wanting to fix what is not brken, people focus more on smaller dollar item gifts for younger kids etc. Those who still want quality will seek it. Also note steering wheel controls which alot of HU support and HVAC controls are sometimes integrated. So cars also use fiber. There are ways around all of this.

in regards to no hacking etc, most cars that joe schmoe like myself can afford have a kit and harness available.

now when it comes to leasing.. You almost have a point. But look @ all the people that put rims on a leased vehicle.

all that said, its still a bandaid, a hacked solution. Just like people who buy 720P tvs to watch 1080P content. Does it work...yes. Do you get the best picture....no.

good day
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    like I said its still a bandaid. The amp on the HU will have much cleaner powe in most cases while t605 will have to interrupt the source playing (not pausing) to deliver sound.
    The T-605 is really two independent devices in one plastic box:

1) A bluetooth telephone hands-free kit

2) A bluetooth stereo audio gateway

Each half has it's own inputs and outputs.

The phone half includes a radio mute signal wire, a mono audio output for head units that support a telephone input, and a small under-dash external speaker for vehicles that don't support phone integration. The factory stereo in my Audi supports these signals, and will mute the radio or pause tape/CD playback for an incoming call. It even displays "phone" in the instrument cluster! (I have another car kit in the Audi, not a T-605.) In the pickup that I have the T-605 installed in, I just used the external speaker that came with the kit. Simple, and I don't need to have the stereo on and set to a specific input to receive calls.

The stereo audio gateway is simply RCA outputs, with a 3.5mm female audio input for chaining a portable player or whatever. If you don't mind setting radio sources, I guess you could loop the phone half's audio output through this input, which would then feed the aux port in your stereo. That would be a bandaid, though. In vehicles that don't have an aux input but do have an external CD changer or satellite radio receiver with analog outputs to the head unit, you can splice that device's audio outs into the T-605's input, and then pass the T-605's output to the head unit's CD or sat input. Bluetooth music will interrupt the input connector, so it's more or less transparent to the end user of you patch it like this.

One person's bandaid is another person's Swiss Army knife. There are several options for hooking it up.

now when it comes to leasing.. You almost have a point. But look @ all the people that put rims on a leased vehicle.
    This can easily be un-done with a jack and lug wrench, and allows for returning the car with pristine factory tires and rims if you store them for the duration of the lease. I'm sure that eBay is full of aftermarket wheels removed from leased cars, so there's even a chance to recover a lot of the cost of bling rims.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    The T-605 is really two independent devices in one plastic box:

1) A bluetooth telephone hands-free kit

2) A bluetooth stereo audio gateway

Each half has it's own inputs and outputs.

The phone half includes a radio mute signal wire, a mono audio output for head units that support a telephone input, and a small under-dash external speaker for vehicles that don't support phone integration. The factory stereo in my Audi supports these signals, and will mute the radio or pause tape/CD playback for an incoming call. It even displays "phone" in the instrument cluster! (I have another car kit in the Audi, not a T-605.) In the pickup that I have the T-605 installed in, I just used the external speaker that came with the kit. Simple, and I don't need to have the stereo on and set to a specific input to receive calls.

The stereo audio gateway is simply RCA outputs, with a 3.5mm female audio input for chaining a portable player or whatever. If you don't mind setting radio sources, I guess you could loop the phone half's audio output through this input, which would then feed the aux port in your stereo. That would be a bandaid, though. In vehicles that don't have an aux input but do have an external CD changer or satellite radio receiver with analog outputs to the head unit, you can splice that device's audio outs into the T-605's input, and then pass the T-605's output to the head unit's CD or sat input. Bluetooth music will interrupt the input connector, so it's more or less transparent to the end user of you patch it like this.

One person's bandaid is another person's Swiss Army knife. There are several options for hooking it up.
    my old headunit had a tel mute wire. how ever the new one does not. instead it has caller id . like i said if this works for you cool. its just not a complete solution and just want other people to know there are other options, sometimes for around the same price etc. can we agree on that?

Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    This can easily be un-done with a jack and lug wrench, and allows for returning the car with pristine factory tires and rims if you store them for the duration of the lease. I'm sure that eBay is full of aftermarket wheels removed from leased cars, so there's even a chance to recover a lot of the cost of bling rims.....
    with plug harnesses and aftermarket trim, the old stuff can be put back on just like the wheels. probably in less time as well since in most cases it unplug the wiring harness, remove radio, plug old one back in, seat etc. done

Please understand i am not try to one up you or sound like mine is better, but rather helping people that are looking at your solution find alternatives that will meet their level of self gratification, geekiness, gadgetry, options etc.

can we agree that this option is great for you, but its still best to help educate potential seekers of similar solutions?